Turn on thread page Beta

The Ultimate England Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    SSN claims Capello knows his team apart from his keeper, and whether Heskey or Defoe starts up front.

So Gerrard on the left.

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Quite depressing how the 5 strikers in Argentina's squad would walk into our side and be one of the stars. Can we borrow one please Diego, you can have Heskey :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Carragher along side Terry cannot be allowed to happen, even a average paced player and we would be screwed!

Green's save that came off the post against the USA only happened because Carragher got burned for pace from just outside the box!
    Don't be stupid.

Pace is not a neccessity when you have excellent positioning and reading of the game. Sami Hyypia and Carragher didn't have an ounce of speed between them but managed to be carve out one of the most successful central partnerships in europe.

Disclaimer: He shouldn't be startin, but his experience playing against top level strikers week in week out cannot be understated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontBuyTheSun)
    Don't be stupid.

Pace is not a neccessity when you have excellent positioning and reading of the game. Sami Hyypia and Carragher didn't have an ounce of speed between them but managed to be carve out one of the most successful central partnerships in europe.

Disclaimer: He shouldn't be startin, but his experience playing against top level strikers week in week out cannot be understated.
    Positioning and reading are great, but the chances that our opponents whoever they are won't manage to play a ball behind the centre backs in 90mins is tiny! When that happens positioning and reading go to **** if the player is too fast we are either fouling and penalty/close range free kick and and a possible red card, or he is through 1 on 1.

Speed allows you to get away with some of your mistakes, positioning and reading means you make less, you need both and Carragher has no pace! Even Terry is quick over short distances, and he is a far better reader of the game then Carragher.

Not all partnerships work and Terry/Carragher is not a viable one for a team looking to go a long way. For me its one or the other, and it ain't gonna be Carragher!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Speed allows you to get away with some of your mistakes, positioning and reading means you make less, you need both and Carragher has no pace! Even Terry is quick over short distances,
    No you don't. Some of the best centre backs in history have been slower than a snail and had the turning circle of a tank.

Pace is irrelevant if your already in the right place.

Carraghers experience of playing top level football consistrently, against the worlds best strikers, will mean he gets the nod against Dawson and Upson,

Anyway, the reason Carragher shouldn't be starting has nothing to do with pace and everything to do with the fact he insists on hoofing the ball everytime he gets it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontBuyTheSun)
    No you don't. Some of the best centre backs in history have been slower than a snail and had the turning circle of a tank.

Pace is irrelevant if your already in the right place.
    What are the chances you are in the right place every time the ball comes in for 90+mins? In case you were wondering its practically zero. Sooner or later you will be out of position, and then you need one of the centre backs to have some pace, Terry doesn't have any real pace so the other centre back needs to be quicker or at the very least just as quick.

I don't care how many top class striker Carragher has played against you need some manner of speed in a defensive partnership and a Terry/Carragher partnership doesn't have the pace we need. The strikers we will be facing until King is fit again, their main threat is pace. Dawson & Upson aren't perfect but are easily competent against the opposition we will be facing.

ReputationRep:
    Weak team, bad form and a poor manager

- Rooney, Johnson and Lampard were diabolical. You'd struggle to find a clip of Rooney where he hadn't lost the ball after his 1st touch, horrific stuff, good to know he was more upset with the fans booing though than the result and his dire performance. Johnson was constantly out of position and when he wasn't he just let Belhadj or whoever jog past him the lazy prick. Lampard may as well just not have been on the pitch he was that anonymous.

- I voiced my doubts over Capello a couple of weeks back and he continues to go down in my estimation. How can you even contemplate playing a form of 4-4-2 without a left midfielder, it's ridiculous. Gerrard was just another centre midfielder once again and it was too congested. It stifles Lampard and cuts out any threat we have down the left, whenever A.Cole pressed on they were doubled up on him. Drop Lampard and get Gerrard back in the centre ffs. Even when the system wasn't working tonight Capello did absolute **** all to change it, inept management. 180 of poor football and still J.Cole, a consistently decent performer for England, can't get on the pitch, even SWP gets on, a complete joke.

ReputationRep:
    Capello is a liability.

Prior to the tournament, he was keen on saying he'd pick players on form.

Hmm, sure about that Fabio?

Complete non-event tonight. Rooney had a shocker. Never seen him play so badly. Joe Cole not being given playing time is a ****ing disgrace. **** me it's pathetic. Capello gets paid £5million per annum for this crap. Laughable. If we don't get out of the group, what then? I'd really be up for getting someone like Harry Redknapp in as manager. Premature discussion but tbh, I was thinking about the repercussions of a disastrous world cup campaign following the game against the USA.

ReputationRep:
    What is equally worrying is the strops Capello is coming out with. Flapping his arms in frustration and the like. He should be supporting, encouraging etc, not giving out truly negative vibes. Instead of blaming his players and showing anger and disappointment in/with them, he should be clapping, praising and encouraging. Maybe there just isn't enough warmth and laughter in the camp and this is coming out in the team dynamics...

And perhaps he should contemplate accepting some of the blame, the stupid ****e.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    What is equally worrying is the strops Capello is coming out with. Flapping his arms in frustration and the like. He should be supporting, encouraging etc, not giving out truly negative vibes. Instead of blaming his players and showing anger and disappointment in/with them, he should be clapping, praising and encouraging. Maybe there just isn't enough warmth and laughter in the camp and this is coming out in the team dynamics...

And perhaps he should contemplate accepting some of the blame, the stupid ****e.
    This. His record for England is overhyped in my opinion, it's not as good as Ericksson's against good sides, and this is the worst start to a major tournament that I can recall in my 22 years of life (16 of which have been watching football). I didn't bother to watch the game until the last 20 mins, but as expected England were awful (from what I'm told).
    The players are inexcusably complacent, individualist, and technically amateurish, that's a given.
    But Fabio has a lot to answer for, he's got every big decision wrong since we arrived, leaving out the most talented keeper and making his number 1 a keeper with the highest record of mistakes in the Premier League last season, and replacing him with a keeper recovering from injury whom was relegated last season, and lost his place at the team that finished bottom (only recovering when Begovic was sold). He then leaves out of the squad the only wide player who can play left without cutting in, and then refuses to play his replacement whom incidentally is the only creative player, the consequence being that Rooney (our only goal threat) has to drop deep to create the chances. Despite the fact that 4-4-2 failed to work in any of the friendly games leading up to the World Cup, he failed to experiment and resultantly he is now unwilling to change formation, despite the fact that both of his two attacking-minded midfielders, and his top striker play 4-5-1 (or something similar) for their respective clubs, so the risk is not so great.
    It's a shambolic performance frankly, and in a perverse way, I'm loving it. Serves the papers right for overhyping our chances to sickening degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Komakino, it's exciting in regards to what could happen to Capello if we fail to qualify out of the group. How ****ing crazy would that be? How can he not avoid the sack? The papers would go ape-****. It would make for very interesting times and reads, similar to the political climate atm, the coalition between the Tories and the Lib Dems and how that's going to work out or not work out...

ReputationRep:
    Weeping Wayne Rooney...Rooney, with tears streaming down his face...

Mirror doing their best impression of The Sun/Daily Mail by making up completely random **** for dramatic effect.

What is equally worrying is the strops Capello is coming out with. Flapping his arms in frustration and the like. He should be supporting, encouraging etc, not giving out truly negative vibes. Instead of blaming his players and showing anger and disappointment in/with them, he should be clapping, praising and encouraging.
    And what exactly would you be praising or supporting in that performance?

A 4-4-2 England first team against Algeria should NOT provide what we saw, which is no battle, awful passes and no creativity. Capello could be to blame, but that's if things didn't work out if the players actually played. But they didn't play, so obviously we drew, and would've lost if Algeria weren't playing for a draw.

What happens when your team consists of egos, chavs and adulterers I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Weeping Wayne Rooney blasted England’s travelling supporters last night as they jeered him and his teammates following their dismal 0-0 draw with Algeria.

Rooney, with tears streaming down his face...

Mirror doing their best impression of The Sun/Daily Mail by making up completely random **** for dramatic effect.

And what exactly would you be praising or supporting in that performance?

A 4-4-2 England first team against Algeria should NOT provide what we saw, which is no battle, awful passes and no creativity. Capello could be to blame, but that's if things didn't work out if the players actually played. But they didn't play, so obviously we drew, and would've lost if Algeria weren't playing for a draw.
    It's about how you bounce back from adversity, how you come back from struggles etc, to improve performance. How can it assist the team if they can see the manager losing it on the sidelines? Teams need guidance, calm, support and encouragement - Capello has some responsibility to offer these to his playing squad. But instead, he acts like a ****ing child and throws tantrums on the touchlines. He should start doing his job, which he's extremely paid well for.

ReputationRep:
    It's about how you bounce back from adversity, how you come back from struggles etc, to improve performance. How can it assist the team if they can see the manager losing it on the sidelines? Teams need guidance, calm, support and encouragement - Capello has some responsibility to offer these to his playing squad. But instead, he acts like a ****ing child and throws tantrums on the touchlines.
    And against Brazil in 2002, as a player once said, they "expected Winston Churchill and got Iain Duncan-Smith".

It works both ways matey.

He should start doing his job, which he's extremely paid well for.
    I like how you complete ignore the players there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    And against Brazil in 2002, as a player once said, they "expected Winston Churchill and got Iain Duncan-Smith".

It works both ways matey.

I like how you complete ignore the players there.
    Right, so you agree with me then. Capello's strops were unprofessional - improper conduct.

In previous post/s, I've mentioned the poor performance from the players - if not in this thread, then in another existing one. I just didn't happen to mention it in the post/s you've replied to. How do you like that? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Before Capello was announced as the England coach -
    Does Capello have any experience in managing a national team before England? :no:

Now:
    Does Capello have any experience in managing a national team? :yes: He's failing.

ReputationRep:
    Phil McNulty so often fails to produce on his blogs, but he's come good in this one:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnul...the_brink.html

Namely because he recommends the exact same as I did, there was a motive behid the praise.

Much better blog by Marine Hyde here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...gland-algeria1
    There's a spot for her on the bbc if she keeps this form up, Capello the "Betamax Ericksson", genius!

ReputationRep:
    Capello is a liability.

Prior to the tournament, he was keen on saying he'd pick players on form.

Hmm, sure about that Fabio?

Complete non-event tonight. Rooney had a shocker. Never seen him play so badly. Joe Cole not being given playing time is a ****ing disgrace. **** me it's pathetic. Capello gets paid £5million per annum for this crap. Laughable. If we don't get out of the group, what then? I'd really be up for getting someone like Harry Redknapp in as manager. Premature discussion but tbh, I was thinking about the repercussions of a disastrous world cup campaign following the game against the USA.
    It's not like the FA extended his contract before the WC is it? Another genius decision from them, the ******* clowns. Still, it's not over yet but it's fair to say he's already made a number of mistakes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    It's not like the FA extended his contract before the WC is it? Another genius decision from them, the ******* clowns. Still, it's not over yet but it's fair to say he's already made a number of mistakes
    If the tabloids fail to hijack England's chances, the FA will make damn sure they are slim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    That was an absolute farce. Why before the world cup?!!!

It is laughable. They're a bunch of incompetent tossers.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.