• TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Thanks I know. It is nice to have the option and I'm still checking jobs to see what comes up.

Thanks. I think what has really helped me is the change in placement school and mentor. I get really helpful feedback and such great support that I've known exactly which areas I need to work on. I know this isn't something you can change though, so it's hardly advice. However one thing that I think has significantly improved my teaching practice is getting to know my classes more. My mentors said that my strength is that I don't teach a class - I teach 30 individual pupils and know each one well. The thing is though, I know this isn't always possible. They have a weird system at my current school so I teach my year 7 class five times a week (for humanities) and my year 8 four times a week (for R.E.), whereas on my last placement it was once a week. I guess that depends on your timetable.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice, I don't really know what I am doing differently to a month ago. I think my confidence has just grown over time and it is reflected in my teaching :dontknow: . But if you are anything like me, you are probably worrying over nothing. You are most likely doing better than you think you are. We get a lot of criticism on the PGCE, and not so many positives even if they are there. It is the first time that anyone told me all my strengths so they were clearly always there but no-one ever mentions them in meetings because it is all about what you are doing wrong so you can improve. Has your mentor expressed any concerns?
    That's really useful actually. I'm starting to get to know my pupils better now and I'm going to spend this evening getting to know their data a little better too. I'm starting to pick out some of them now but I definitely know what you mean about it being easier once you know them. I won one of my more difficult groups of pupils over when they realised I love The Walking Dead almost as much as they do.

My school mentor is happy with me and said I'm making a lot of really positive progress - it's lesson planning that's holding me back so I'm going to just work my socks off to make it super explicit instead of just giving myself a bit of general guidance for each episode.

My uni mentor on the other hand talks like I'm an imminent failure and really makes my freak out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    That's really useful actually. I'm starting to get to know my pupils better now and I'm going to spend this evening getting to know their data a little better too. I'm starting to pick out some of them now but I definitely know what you mean about it being easier once you know them. I won one of my more difficult groups of pupils over when they realised I love The Walking Dead almost as much as they do.

My school mentor is happy with me and said I'm making a lot of really positive progress - it's lesson planning that's holding me back so I'm going to just work my socks off to make it super explicit instead of just giving myself a bit of general guidance for each episode.

My uni mentor on the other hand talks like I'm an imminent failure and really makes my freak out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See im the total opposite, my uni tutor is really positive about me and says im going to do really well, whereas at school im miserable and feel one step away from failing. I keep getting told I have all the basics but by the end of the course even i know thats not enough!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosephineE)
    Hello

Long time reading here of this thread - it has been super useful!
    Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice please. I've been offered my first NQT interview and I'm very nervous. I have to teach a lesson for 30 minutes, I'm guessing they'll expect starter/explanation/activity/plenary set up even within this time?
    Any advice about interview lessons and general tips for the interview would be fantastic, as I really want to get this job xx
    Well done on getting an interview! I had my first NQT interview a few weeks back so I thought I'd tell you how I structured mine. Might be of some help?

Introduction - your name, what you're there to do (i.e.: teach them about ...)
    Behaviour management - you need to do this straight away, before you start teaching them. Lay out your expectations up front. When you're talking, they're silent. When you clap your hands/count down to zero/ring a bell (whatever technique you use to get their attention) then they need to stop talking, put their pens down and look at you. Once you've got your expectations out there, they'll know where they stand with you.
    Brief intro/starter - Introduce the topic - Afl - what do they already know? How confident do they feel in that subject etc? This will help you know how to differentiate. Model anything you need to model.
    Main task - about 10-15 mins I'd say. Mini-plenaries if necessary. Show clear differentiation and have a challenge for those that might finish early.
    Plenary - ask them how they felt about the task, what strategies did they use, how would they do it different next time etc.

Feel free to DM me if you want any more detail on my lesson plan or questions I got asked at the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Aah I have been shortlisted for an interview...my first one. Any tips??

ReputationRep:
    The children who are on pupil premium- are they also children entitled to free school meals? Are fsm and pp chn interchangeable? I know all primary kids up to yr 3 are now having free school meals but before this

ReputationRep:
    Ahh a fellow r.e. trainee. Is Muslim Pilgrimage the same as Hajj?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Muslim pilgrimage would cover Hajj but also Umrah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I had my second uni observation yesterday and was a bit overwhelmed with all the praise I got. I got outstanding and when I look back from where I came from I can't believe the progress I made. Only about a month ago I was thinking how I need to try and scrape a satisfactory so I can pass and now I'm here. I don't even know how...but I'm very pleased yet slightly annoyed that I still don't think teaching is for me, because apparently I can do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's excellent news! Even if you do decide to leave teaching it's still great to know it was definitely your choice, and that you obviously made a lot of progress over the year. Well done!

(Original post by lupuccho)
    Hi all,

I come out as a very nice person who is just too nice in the classroom so the kids just walk all over me. I am teaching secondary Maths. I do try behavior management strategies but really struggle with keeping on top of it. This week has been the worse I have just lost both my classes to the point they don't listen to me at all. Because of this I am thinking that teaching is not for me at all. If I can't get them to pay attention there is no way I can teach.
    I have been in school for a month now and kids have realised I am just a softie. I do want to be a teacher but looking at my own self and seeing my struggle it feels like a long way. I can't change myself overnight I am bit slow on picking up things and putting in practise this is not helping me at all.

Has anyone have a struggle like me? If you do please help. I don't come out as assertive and authorative in general day to day situation too and being in class and seeing myself struggling is just putting my hopes down.
    Pick on or two things that you really care about - if I were you it would be talking when someone else is talking (my pet hate). Start the lesson by saying you were really unhappy with how much it happened last time, and that you don't expect it to happen at all in the lesson. If it does (and it will), give on verbal warning and then come down as hard as possible - either throw the pupil out or give them a short detention (just something like "e'll have to have a discussion after school about why you think that's acceptable). The verbal warnign should give a choice - "if you do that again we're going to have to have a chat after school". I also find it useful to run informal 10-minute detention after the lesson if it runs into break, lunch or after school - they're way more effective than it feels like they should be.

That's how I approached a year 8 class I'd completely lost in my first placement anyway - it took 3 or 4 lessons where I had an awful lot of pupils in detention, but then they got the message.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Striving92)
    The children who are on pupil premium- are they also children entitled to free school meals? Are fsm and pp chn interchangeable? I know all primary kids up to yr 3 are now having free school meals but before this
    Pupil premium is a slightly broader group. It includes FSM pupils but also pupils who used to be FSM within a certain number of years (5, I think). There is a name for this category but I can't remember it... Also I seem to recall something about children in care automatically being pp as well, but I'm not sure about that bit! Basically pupil premium are the children who get the extra funding, and they don't take that away as soon as a family's income passes the threshold.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    That's excellent news! Even if you do decide to leave teaching it's still great to know it was definitely your choice, and that you obviously made a lot of progress over the year. Well done!

Pick on or two things that you really care about - if I were you it would be talking when someone else is talking (my pet hate). Start the lesson by saying you were really unhappy with how much it happened last time, and that you don't expect it to happen at all in the lesson. If it does (and it will), give on verbal warning and then come down as hard as possible - either throw the pupil out or give them a short detention (just something like "e'll have to have a discussion after school about why you think that's acceptable). The verbal warnign should give a choice - "if you do that again we're going to have to have a chat after school". I also find it useful to run informal 10-minute detention after the lesson if it runs into break, lunch or after school - they're way more effective than it feels like they should be.

That's how I approached a year 8 class I'd completely lost in my first placement anyway - it took 3 or 4 lessons where I had an awful lot of pupils in detention, but then they got the message.
    Thank you it is definitely a nice thing to hear and I feel a weight off knowing I'm doing okay.
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Pupil premium is a slightly broader group. It includes FSM pupils but also pupils who used to be FSM within a certain number of years (5, I think). There is a name for this category but I can't remember it... Also I seem to recall something about children in care automatically being pp as well, but I'm not sure about that bit! Basically pupil premium are the children who get the extra funding, and they don't take that away as soon as a family's income passes the threshold.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's six years right? It's called Ever 6 if we are thinking of the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Striving92)
    The pupil premium is paid in respect of students who have claimed free school meals* at some point in the last six years - the DfE works two terms in arrears so it can even be longer ago than this. Students who are continuously Looked After by the local authority for more than 6 months are also PP as well as certain adopted children. There is also a Service Premium for students who have a parent serving in the Armed Forces. Finally there is a Catch-Up Premium in Year 7 for students who did not achieve Level 4 at the end of Year 6 in the externally marked components of their National Tests in English and/or maths.

* A claim must have been made so the current free provision for all is likely to seriously reduce the amount of PP that is paid to schools in the future

ReputationRep:
    Thank you it is definitely a nice thing to hear and I feel a weight off knowing I'm doing okay.

It's six years right? It's called Ever 6 if we are thinking of the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes ever6!!! The poster above gave a muj more thorough explanation. I remember a staff meeting where they explained it all to us as almost no one at the school new the difference. I was in nursery though so I didn't have yo actually consider it for my children. I also found the whole idea of giving an advantage to certain children really hard to come to terms with, even though I know its in place to counter other disadvantages...

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I also found the whole idea of giving an advantage to certain children really hard to come to terms with, even though I know its in place to counter other disadvantages...
    The policy is crude in that some students who are no longer disadvantaged are labelled as such but, treating the cohort as a whole, Pupil Premium funding only goes a small way towards ensuring a slightly more level playing field. It certainly does not confer an advantage or there wouldn't still be a massive attainment gap.

John Dunford, our Pupil Premium "Champion", often uses the thought-provoking statistic that Looked After Children are more likely to go to prison than university.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have so much work to do for tomorrow.

*buries head in sand*

ReputationRep:

*buries head in sand*
    Know the feeling, my lessons are planned but i need to make the resources for them have to make a worksheet on querying databases

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    The policy is crude in that some students who are no longer disadvantaged are labelled as such but, treating the cohort as a whole, Pupil Premium funding only goes a small way towards ensuring a slightly more level playing field. It certainly does not confer an advantage or there wouldn't still be a massive attainment gap.

John Dunford, our Pupil Premium "Champion", often uses the thought-provoking statistic that Looked After Children are more likely to go to prison than university.
    I always found the service premium an odd one, my daughters junior school claimed hers as we were both serving RAF but she was miles ahead of her class and never had any issues settling in when we moved around. I found that to be the case with 99% of service kids. I guess at least there was extra money in the pot to help out the ones who did need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

*buries head in sand*
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Know the feeling, my lessons are planned but i need to make the resources for them have to make a worksheet on querying databases
    Same. I used to be organised and planned a week in advance but then over Easter I fell ridiculously behind so now I'm planning one or two days in advance. I really need to catch up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat as you, I start placement tomorrow and my lessons have been planned for weeks but I haven't made my resources yet! Oops!

I'm finding it's taking me a long time there's a lot of pre-made stuff out there but it's tough finding stuff that's relevant and even then it needs editing and differentiating. Frustrating!

Excited about starting my placement though had a rubbish time last time and determined to turn it around this time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    I'm in the same boat as you, I start placement tomorrow and my lessons have been planned for weeks but I haven't made my resources yet! Oops!

I'm finding it's taking me a long time there's a lot of pre-made stuff out there but it's tough finding stuff that's relevant and even then it needs editing and differentiating. Frustrating!

Excited about starting my placement though had a rubbish time last time and determined to turn it around this time!
    I usually make my own using guidance from other stuff.
    Im dreading going back, i dont want to be on this course any more but theres 5 weeks left of placement so im trying to stick it out
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. Databases are one of the hardest thing to teach.

Still struggling with spreadsheets for year 7s. They just can't get their head around why we would use one

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. Databases are one of the hardest thing to teach.

Still struggling with spreadsheets for year 7s. They just can't get their head around why we would use one
    I got mine to use ready made models to help them get the idea, so like a sweet shop where they had to use their formula and function knowledge to create the model for their shops (gives them a real life scenario). Then i could develop on that model to get them to do what if questioning on their model.
    Also i tended to ask them how they could use what they learnt to do something and apply that to a real life scenario, so why might a teacher use if statements in a spreadsheet...gives them part of the answer but then gets them to consider the answer and develop it further.
    Yeah databases are awful, I hate ms access so Im basically staying a week ahead because its not something I use.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.