Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    If the random BM is >11.1 then the patient has diabetes as they're symptomatic - no further diagnostic tests required. OGTT is only needed if the BM is >7.0 but <11.1
    Sorry, 2 monthes off and I've forgotten how to diagnose diabetes!

Yes so you test for frank diabetes and igt, and if they can't come in for ogtt, hba1c? Suppose it comes back non diabetic or with igt then do you admit, start looking for clever causes? Or if the random bm <7, forget dm or is it worth checking anyway? I know the stress response would push sugar up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Sorry, 2 monthes off and I've forgotten how to diagnose diabetes!

Yes so you test for frank diabetes and igt, and if they can't come in for ogtt, hba1c? Suppose it comes back non diabetic or with igt then do you admit, start looking for clever causes? Or if the random bm <7, forget dm or is it worth checking anyway? I know the stress response would push sugar up...
    You'd be hard pushed to get any acute medical firm to admit a patient this well just for investigation. I'd assume that you'd do some regular bloods when you do the HbA1c as well, and act on anything else that comes up there.

ReputationRep:
    This 4am nights out and 9am lectures will be the death of me. 3 Days in a row so far..... 7 more to go....

ReputationRep:
    FPAS: Joke of a system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    They've been doing that one for a while now and still haven't managed to get it right? Not looking forward to being the 2nd cohort for the new system

ReputationRep:
    at least you won't be the first! thinking of intercalating just to miss the mess-fest

ReputationRep:
    lol there's probably not many better reasons to intercalate tbh

ReputationRep:
    Hello from Chichester! Having an ace week, although is still introductory stuff (meeting firm heads, practicing examinations on each other etc), feel like clinical years are gonna be ace. Went to first medical grand rounds this afternoon, all way over my head.

The city is great, not too busy but very nice and with a very good bunch here, all went to the coast today for a wander.

Only problem is lack of internet in our rooms (RAGE!!), so am in the education centre to get some.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Leads are heavy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Indeed. Not looking forward to October, I must say.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody explain Confidence Intervals to me in a nice, simple way? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    Leads are heavy
    Leads?
    I automaticcaly thought of car jump leads - but im guessing thats not true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syncope)
    Indeed. Not looking forward to October, I must say.
    Agreed! Im very very not looking forward to it!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Leads?
    I automaticcaly thought of car jump leads - but im guessing thats not true!
    as in Pb

ReputationRep:
    Clinical years. Well the clinical bit is so far so good. The rest of university is circling the ****ter though. Sigh. I didn't need this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    as in Pb
    In my oh crap i have one day to learn a whole rotation state - i dont get it. Im confuzzled!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    In my oh crap i have one day to learn a whole rotation state - i dont get it. Im confuzzled!

ReputationRep:
    I'm commencing the year on surgical rotation. An 'upper and lower GI' ward is my initial ward.

ReputationRep:
    On setting out to get drunk with the Freshers I never imagined one of them would piss me off that much.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    On setting out to get drunk with the Freshers I never imagined one of them would piss me off that much.
    It wasn't me was it? :puppyeyes:

Nah but if you want to pm me (the nosy git) what happened and plot evil revenge schemes etc?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.