Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wherrs bielik

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Don't take this the wrong way, because it's definitely not meant to be offensive, but do you not have a Leeds thread to comment on? I say that as a person who's dad is a Leeds fan, and I keep up with them most weeks, so I'd be interested to see one on here, or is there just not enough support for it to be worthwhile?
    There is a Leeds United Thread but it doesn't gain any traction, so I stay in the Football League thread. I'd imagine we could probably sustain a thread if we were a solid Prem team....one day...:moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    There is a Leeds United Thread but it doesn't gain any traction, so I stay in the Football League thread. I'd imagine we could probably sustain a thread if we were a solid Prem team....one day...:moon:
    Ah interesting, I'll go have a look TBH all Leeds need is a Benik Afobe to push them up from mid-table mediocrity. QPR basically had that with Austin.

ReputationRep:
    Reported Pedro fee will be around £25m this summer. Sounds low but he's 27 and from August he'll only have a year remaining on his contract. I think if we shell out Podolski and Campbell then it would be the perfect chance to buy someone like Pedro for only 25m. Hopefully means we'd be able to sign someone else too eg a CM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Reported Pedro fee will be around £25m this summer. Sounds low but he's 27 and from August he'll only have a year remaining on his contract. I think if we shell out Podolski and Campbell then it would be the perfect chance to buy someone like Pedro for only 25m. Hopefully means we'd be able to sign someone else too eg a CM
    If you got Pedro, would you have both him and Sanchez as wingers, or would you play alexis up front or behind Giroud, leaving Walcott/AOC for the other wing?

I guess it depends who you sell like you said; in my opinion CDM and CB are the most essential for you, potentially a GK too.
    Similar to us in a sense; we definitely need another player in midfield along with an additional CB.
    Unsure about Mignolet - he looks great now but worried he might regress again.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    England could beat Spain? Lol and I'm the wum??
    Even their under 21s would destroy us.

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    England were at one point of this decade the third best national team in the world. I'd have thought that was only because of John Terry and Ashley Cole
    Yeh and Mexico were 4th around the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Even their under 21s would destroy us.

Yeh and Mexico were 4th around the same time.
    Spain have much better individual players and are much better together in a system.

Of course they aren't the same overwhelming force that they used to be, but like you highlighted, they always seem to have young players coming through.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Spain have much better individual players and are much better together in a system.

Of course they aren't the same overwhelming force that they used to be, but like you highlighted, they always seem to have young players coming through.
    Exactly. Everyone has banged on for years that ''oh England have X,Y,Z so they should be great'' but they just never work as a team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Exactly. Everyone has banged on for years that ''oh England have X,Y,Z so they should be great'' but they just never work as a team.
    That has been England's problem since I can remember.

Their individual players have always been great quality wise, yet no manager seems to be able to get them to perform efficiently as a team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    That has been England's problem since I can remember.

Their individual players have always been great quality wise, yet no manager seems to be able to get them to perform efficiently as a team.
    Except now we don't even have decent individual players! So it's no wonder we're even worse now than we used to be.

Looking at the England squad list is kind of embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    Carrick is massively underused for the national team. He seems to be lumped in with the useless players United have carried over the years, which is unfair to him. He is actually crucial for the national team, because he can sit in front of defenders, and has an incredibly good passing range, most of which is forward. Yes, he isn't exactly Wilshere, who loves to take the ball and run forward with it (usually into an opposition player), but he doesn't need to be, because that's not his playing style.
    Tbh Carrick isn't all that bad, he's been pretty good for United since he's returned. My main gripe is that we have ****ing Llama playing in CM, Hendo isn't all that terrible but in our current system Wilshere in the middle would be much more effective and I expect him to return to the starting line up once he's fit.

The national team on the whole isn't all that bad, our CM may not be all that inspiring and our CB pairing is often criticised, but we have the joint best defensive record so far with Belgium (and Romania ffs).

Our group may be a pile of piss, but if we win tomorrow against Italy I expect everyone to get back on the "we're gonna win the Euro's" bandwagon.
    At the very least we're QF quality and at best we're finalists given an easy draw

ReputationRep:
    Don't take this the wrong way, because it's definitely not meant to be offensive, but do you not have a Leeds thread to comment on? I say that as a person who's dad is a Leeds fan, and I keep up with them most weeks, so I'd be interested to see one on here, or is there just not enough support for it to be worthwhile?
    No ****ing way me to!! The glory hunters of 30 years ago I guess :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    Except now we don't even have decent individual players! So it's no wonder we're even worse now than we used to be.

Looking at the England squad list is kind of embarrassing.
    we don't have terrible players, but there's a big difference if you compare them to there likes of Beckham, Gerrard, Terry, etc..

England have always had the quality available to them to reach the latter stages of tournaments - we are simply the most under-performing nation in the world imo.
    i'm not saying the competition isn't hard to beat, but we always seem to mess it up and nowadays i care 100x more about club football than i do about the international stage.

ReputationRep:
    People talk of Spain's youth prospect but hasn't our U'21's won something like 9 of their last 10 without half their decent players who have been called up to the men's squad?

ReputationRep:
    Spain's system with the under 21s to 1st team is why they are so good. Nowadays the under 21s just jump into the first team. Granted that some players to deserve to go into the 1st team, but overall our system doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    No ****ing way me to!! The glory hunters of 30 years ago I guess :rolleyes:
    Aha probably, although the fact he still supports them suggests he isn't in it for the trophies anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    People talk of Spain's youth prospect but hasn't our U'21's won something like 9 of their last 10 without half their decent players who have been called up to the men's squad?
    Spains U21 has produced some of the greatest prospects in the world today. Players like De Gea, Isco, Thiago Alcantara, Carvajal etc.

ReputationRep:
    anyone watchin u21 england game?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone watch the Arsenal channel on youtube?

I get the feeling Ox is really missing Jenko's banter this season, we need to keep him when he returns regardless of whether he's doing **** or not (and he's certainly not doing badly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQEvQ83sTzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnBRFr6Cu9I

He just isn't the same with Chambers

ReputationRep:
    Jenkinson playing really well for England U21's got two assists.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.