Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    I'm in the same boat as you, I start placement tomorrow and my lessons have been planned for weeks but I haven't made my resources yet! Oops!

I'm finding it's taking me a long time there's a lot of pre-made stuff out there but it's tough finding stuff that's relevant and even then it needs editing and differentiating. Frustrating!

Excited about starting my placement though had a rubbish time last time and determined to turn it around this time!
    You start a new placement tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura.a.c265)
    I always found the service premium an odd one, my daughters junior school claimed hers as we were both serving RAF but she was miles ahead of her class and never had any issues settling in when we moved around. I found that to be the case with 99% of service kids. I guess at least there was extra money in the pot to help out the ones who did need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, the problem with is is that your daughters teacher would then have had to prove/evidence how they were using that money specifically to benefit her.

I just feel instinctually that if I'm providing extra support or opportunities in any way I should be offering them to as many of the children that would benefit from them as possible, regardless of their families income... It should be needs based, where you meet every child's needs, rather than money based. The money following the children so schools with lower income pupils get more overall is fine, as that is likely to be where the money is most needed. But there are always exceptions to the rule and having to evidence how specifically those children benefit is a hindrance to teachers supporting children who need it most- I feel it should be more general... You say these opportunities were created by pp funding, all children who needed them received them, and that should be enough. Or that's how I felt at least.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    You start a new placement tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep! I've met the class and the teacher already but don't start the placement til tomorrow. I'm on placement now solidly until July.

ReputationRep:
    Yep! I've met the class and the teacher already but don't start the placement til tomorrow. I'm on placement now solidly until July.
    God i would love to have a fresh start but with 5 weeks left i was told there isnt much point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    God i would love to have a fresh start but with 5 weeks left i was told there isnt much point...
    Oh I haven't asked to change schools or anything... this is just how the block placements work at my uni. Our placements run for 3 weeks in November, 3 weeks in Jan/Feb and 12 weeks from April-July. 2 weeks of the final placement are 'enhancement weeks' though so you only work as a TA.

edit: I am viewing it very much as a fresh start though. Things were really difficult on my last placement and I wasn't very happy by the end. This is like an opportunity to start from a clean page and be more organised.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any advice for me at all? Despite some negativity I love teaching and really want to succeed on my next placement. I seem to struggle with organisation the most so any tips at all (no matter how basic) could be handy.

ReputationRep:
    Oh interesting. I didn't think you'd be able to start planning yet!

Good luck anyway. It is nice to have a fresh start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I got mine to use ready made models to help them get the idea, so like a sweet shop where they had to use their formula and function knowledge to create the model for their shops (gives them a real life scenario). Then i could develop on that model to get them to do what if questioning on their model.
    Also i tended to ask them how they could use what they learnt to do something and apply that to a real life scenario, so why might a teacher use if statements in a spreadsheet...gives them part of the answer but then gets them to consider the answer and develop it further.
    Yeah databases are awful, I hate ms access so Im basically staying a week ahead because its not something I use.
    Tried all of that. All I'm getting is ones saying "but I'm really smart and can just do the maths" or "but this is hard and pointless". My other class is fine with it but this one class just want to drive me mad I swear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh interesting. I didn't think you'd be able to start planning yet!

Good luck anyway. It is nice to have a fresh start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We're expected to plan a week in advance. We have to have our first week's planning approved by our uni tutor and class teacher before the placement can begin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    That's excellent news! Even if you do decide to leave teaching it's still great to know it was definitely your choice, and that you obviously made a lot of progress over the year. Well done!

Pick on or two things that you really care about - if I were you it would be talking when someone else is talking (my pet hate). Start the lesson by saying you were really unhappy with how much it happened last time, and that you don't expect it to happen at all in the lesson. If it does (and it will), give on verbal warning and then come down as hard as possible - either throw the pupil out or give them a short detention (just something like "e'll have to have a discussion after school about why you think that's acceptable). The verbal warnign should give a choice - "if you do that again we're going to have to have a chat after school". I also find it useful to run informal 10-minute detention after the lesson if it runs into break, lunch or after school - they're way more effective than it feels like they should be.

That's how I approached a year 8 class I'd completely lost in my first placement anyway - it took 3 or 4 lessons where I had an awful lot of pupils in detention, but then they got the message.
    Thanks Tory. I am gonna do more detention from now on. If I don't I will have more trouble in the long run.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura.a.c265)
    I always found the service premium an odd one, my daughters junior school claimed hers as we were both serving RAF but she was miles ahead of her class and never had any issues settling in when we moved around. I found that to be the case with 99% of service kids. I guess at least there was extra money in the pot to help out the ones who did need it.
    There isn't any gap in academic achievement but some service children apparently need additional pastoral support and have problems forming friendships. I don't tend to do anything meaningful with our SP budget.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    When you're completing a description of your duties for applications, what do you include?

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh, last day of the holidays today! I've also still not planned anything for this week so tomorrow should be interesting!

It's gonna be so tough waking up at 530 tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Eurgh, last day of the holidays today! I've also still not planned anything for this week so tomorrow should be interesting!

It's gonna be so tough waking up at 530 tomorrow!
    Ive managed to sort tomorrow so having a quiet evening with my husband and some netflix before the madness starts over again.
    My husband has pointed out that every day now is one day closer to the end, 23 days and counting.....
    The busier i am the faster time will go, so going to bury myself in the remainders of this course and my final essay and prey it flies by!

ReputationRep:
    Ive managed to sort tomorrow so having a quiet evening with my husband and some netflix before the madness starts over again.
    My husband has pointed out that every day now is one day closer to the end, 23 days and counting.....
    The busier i am the faster time will go, so going to bury myself in the remainders of this course and my final essay and prey it flies by!
    I recommend a countdown widget on your computer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I recommend a countdown widget on your computer.
    I think that might be a countdown too far. I have an academic wall calendar where I mark my classes deadlines, homework etc as well as uni deadlines and ive been striking through weeks as theyve gone by.
    On friday i have a literal month left...hoorah
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have 38 working days but 5 of those are spent on primary placement. I can see the end

ReputationRep:
    I think that might be a countdown too far. I have an academic wall calendar where I mark my classes deadlines, homework etc as well as uni deadlines and ive been striking through weeks as theyve gone by.
    Not for me. 75 days left until I retire.

ReputationRep:
    I strike out my days on my uni calendar :P

40 working days left for me. It doesn't sound like much but then I remember it is mid/late June I finish which sounds ages off!

ReputationRep:

40 working days left for me. It doesn't sound like much but then I remember it is mid/late June I finish which sounds ages off!
    Yeah we finish our second placement at half term then have 6 days enrichment afterwards so just sorting out where to go for that, then its all uni based with break up mid-june, so i have saturday day tickets to download festival to celebrate
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Mid-June sounds like no time at all when you remember we have half term and bank holidays too to make things more interesting.

Yeah we finish our second placement at half term then have 6 days enrichment afterwards so just sorting out where to go for that, then its all uni based with break up mid-june, so i have saturday day tickets to download festival to celebrate
    I have tickets to go and see Wicked the evening I finish I usually work at download but I think this year I might just sleep right through it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.