Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    There are plenty of ways to not pay insane wages tbfh.
    1) Find loyal players who aren't money grabbing (see players like Giggs, Scholes etc for Man Utd) How often do those types of players come about? They're a rare breed, look at Gotze, sure he's left o join a historically 'bigger' club but his wages will be a lot bigger than they were at BVB, where he was a supporter and player since his childhood. Look at Ashley Cole, the division between cfc and Arsenal wasn't that big when he joined chelsea but again, despite being a childhood fan and player of Arsenal, he left with wages being a factor. In those two transfers obviously big wages weren't the only factor but they were obviously a contributory one. There are few players left who will be loyal to a club and earn lower wages there than they could elsewhere.
    2) Tie players in to long term contracts with lower wages and resist the urge to just give them pay rises So if Team A offers a player £40,000 a week over 5 years, his head won't be turned at all by the £90,000 p/w over 3 years that Team B is offering?
    3) Learn to offer contracts at the right time - if you offer a new contract when they will be available on a free soon or just have a month of star performances, you will end up giving more in wages But you can't factor in things like a player becoming amazing of breaking both their legs. I remember some people weren't happy with RVP still being on the wage bill a couple of seasons ago because of his injuries and look what happened there. Diaby could turn int the new Messi once he recovers from his injuries. Fair enough we've offered Wilshere a good, not-too-high long-term contract but his career could become amazing or injury-plagued within the next few years so who knows if that contract is a good decision.
    4) Offer shorter length contracts to older players (e.g. Arsenal's 30+ year old players only getting 1 year deals) Why do you think Sagna still hasn't signed a new deal yet? He wants to commit to the club for more than one year. Not that simple to offer a 30+ year old a one year contract and expect them to be happy about it.
    5) Put a strict wage structure in place and stick to it This is what several teams have tried to do, usually resulting in players leaving for elsewhere where they get more dosh. Nasri receives more money from the Sheikhs than he would ever get p/w at Arsenal. I heard not too long ago that lewandowski is only on 20k p/w at BVB because they also have a strict wage structure. This, of course, is the same Lewandowski who is likely to be leaving on a free to Bayern next year.
    6) Offer players game time/ability to play in Europe/win trophies etc as a stick rather than just throwing money at them Which could mean you're buying a player who isn't CL proven, which could mean if you give them anything above 40k p/w it could be a risk anyway if they turn out to be an absolute flop.

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways too but in reality plenty of clubs make mistakes in giving new contracts.
    There is no easy way of dealing with contracts. Spurs in my opinion have been better with contracts as their players - over the past 5 years - for the majority have not been of the calibre that they could demand a significant pay rise as they didn't have sufficient interest from bigger/richer clubs to e worthy of this. Bale, of course, can, but he is the exception. Others like Lennon, Vertongten, etc, can, and watch Spurs wage bill go up in the next few years if they expect to have CL quality players and not pay a massive contract for him. Doubt Paulinho will be in tiny wages.

Then look at the Arsenal squad. Cazorla's agent could probably try to easily push for higher wage in his (hopefully) next contract with Arsenal within the next few years as he could warrant it at another club. Most in our club could, i.e Koscielny (Barca were interested), Sagna (PSG interest), Monreal is a Spanish international, tbh most of our starting XI bar Arteta are internationals and most could get better contracts elsewhere, bar maybe Poldi, though he does have 100+ caps for Germany so who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MetropolisBoy)
    I agree, the only way they can afford 30+ is if they sold their only best player (Bale) which is highly unlikely.

But if they sold Sandro + Eskotto...
    If Daniel Levy wants to buy players, he can do it. The exact same chelsea/city/monaco/PSG do.

ReputationRep:
    Wenger offered Liverpool £40,000,001 for Suarez just to trigger the clause in his contract. Wenger be trollin

ReputationRep:
    Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 6m

Right. It's 10.30 so here goes: Arsenal have had an improved offer of £40,000,001 for Luis Suarez rejected by Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Wenger offered Liverpool £40,000,001 for Suarez just to trigger the clause in his contract. Wenger be trollin
    He has a clause???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    He has a clause???
    It's a clause that basically means liverpool have to tell suarez about the interest. Nothing else. Most pointless clause ever. Liverpool won't tell him anything that sky sports doesn't tell him already -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stirlo)
    Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 6m

Right. It's 10.30 so here goes: Arsenal have had an improved offer of £40,000,001 for Luis Suarez rejected by Liverpool.
    Isn't this the guy that said like 3 hours ago that arsenal never bid for him in the first place :facepalm:
    Edit: never mind the rejection is on bbc sport now

ReputationRep:
    if Suarez believes that he has a 40m release clause, couldn't he take this to an employment tribunal?

Alternatively Suarez could just start acting like a **** to force a move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    He has a clause???
    Not a release clause, it a clause that makes Liverpool inform Suarez of a bid over £40m and allows Arsenal to discuss terms with Suarez but Liverpool doesn't have to agree to sell.

Suarez will obviously accept our terms but I fear LFC won't agree to the fee but If we can convince Suarez to hand in a transfer request by telling him we will cover his loss of earnings in his new contract.

Its all down to Suarez, he has show how desperately he want a move to Arsenal by handing in a transfer request.

ReputationRep:
    Options for suarez: 1. Sulk and refuse to play like cesc 2. Write snotty ambition letter like rvp 3. Bite Brendan Rodgers 4. Transfer request

ReputationRep:
    Guess we're just going to have to move on. And the way the release clause is been interpreted is quite funny. Pretty sure club informs players when xyz have bidded for them.

ReputationRep:
    As if I didn't love Arsenal enough, we bid £40,000,000.01 for a player. Soooo cheeky.
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    Isn't this the guy that said like 3 hours ago that arsenal never bid for him in the first place :facepalm:
    In all fairness he said we didn't bid £42m for him, could have just been denying the amount we bid for him.
    (Original post by MetropolisBoy)
    I agree, the only way they can afford 30+ is if they sold their only best player (Bale) which is highly unlikely.

But if they sold Sandro + Eskotto...
    Former could probably get £20m, latter could get £5-£10m so I suppose so. Arsenal having £70m+ this summer to spend without selling any key players and £crazy money to spend next season when Emirates and Puma deals kick in is a far better position to be in than "We might be able to get a great striker if we sell one of our key players (Sandro) and another decent player".

Spurs had a far better transfer window than us last summer and they still finished 5th. We have been linked with names such as Bernard, Fellaini, Bender, Gustavo, Higuain etc. and the board have told the public there's money there to spend on those types of players. I trust Wenger to be signing those types of players and I still think he will.
    _______Wilshere__Fellaini
    Walcott____Cazorla___Bernard
    ___________Suarez

Title contenders, easily. Poldi, Giroud, Ramsey, Rosicky etc. on bench. Szcz keeps up his good form at the end of last season, Kos + Mert brilliance continues, Sagna improves to his pre-leg break standard (pre-season indicating he can, emirates cup will be a better indicatorof this against tougher opposition), Monreal/Gibbs keep up the good work. In 2/3 signings (Suarez & Bernard, possibly a DM of Fellaini's standard) and we go from being a top 4 club to a title challenging club.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'm finding it hard to believe that Arsene Wenger's Arsenal is bidding £40m for Suarez

ReputationRep:
    But don't Arsenal fans usually take the moral high ground when it comes to the players they employ? LOL that'd go out the window if Suarez joined.

On a more serious note, I don't see why you're bothering to chase him anyway. He clearly doesn't like Britain (the weather, the media) and I feel that if he had a choice he'd pick Madrid in a heartbeat (can't really blame him for that though). Moving to London is just going to get the media, and Liverpool fans on his back even more and even then he's not completely guaranteed to work. £40 million would be a huge risk for Arsenal and sorting out the strikeforce isn't going to completely eradicate your issues.

Genuinely can't help but feel that you'd be better placed to go after another high profile star-maybe Ibrahimovic, Dzeko or even Soldado, plus a CB or a winger.

If he doesn't leave this summer for Madrid and Liverpool don't qualify for CL next year he'll be off either to Madrid or Bayern-they're a bit short on Strikers themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    But don't Arsenal fans usually take the moral high ground when it comes to the players they employ?
    I don't think we can say that since Sol Campbell :lol:. Personally, the fact that he's a **** on the pitch doesn't bother me, it does for others though.

ReputationRep:
    How long is Koscielny out for? Is it just a few weeks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sám)
    How long is Koscielny out for? Is it just a few weeks?
    Reckon he'll play in the Emirates Cup. Just a niggle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Personally, I'm finding it hard to believe that Arsene Wenger's Arsenal is bidding £40m for Suarez
    Yes, this is a rather strange idea. Something doesn't feel right about this.

ReputationRep:
    ''I hope **** Law flicked that pound coin into a Liverpool representative's coffee mug then blew cigar smoke into his face.''

:clap2:

ReputationRep:
    BBC Sport, Sky Sports News, The Times, The Guardian, the twitter reliables all confirming we've made the 40m bid to trigger his release clause. I don't see anything to doubt as far as sources go.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.