Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend any good primary PGCE books to get? This observational placement has got me so excited

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm wanting to apply for a training schools direct option (so unsalaried) & was about to email my line manager at work who's the assistant head. However, having a quick look I see the reference is meant to come from the headteacher of the school? Can I not use my line manager? (I'm currently a TA)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ST10)
    I'm wanting to apply for a training schools direct option (so unsalaried) & was about to email my line manager at work who's the assistant head. However, having a quick look I see the reference is meant to come from the headteacher of the school? Can I not use my line manager? (I'm currently a TA)
    You have to name the head teacher as the referee but without fail, the head will then ask your line manager to write the reference and will then just sign it off. I'd still speak to your line manager about it, so that they know they'll be expected to write the reference for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellylaugh)
    You have to name the head teacher as the referee but without fail, the head will then ask your line manager to write the reference and will then just sign it off. I'd still speak to your line manager about it, so that they know they'll be expected to write the reference for you.
    Ah okay thank you. I'll give my line manager an email today about it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Has anyone else been offered a waiting list place for IOE PGCE English? I had my interview a while ago, and was offered a waiting list place which is so annoying !
    Anyone else in the same boat? Or was in the same boat and was offered a full? I am getting anxious now

ReputationRep:
    Hi

So sad to hear they withdrew your offer - but I also agree that everything happens for a reason...for the best. You will more than likely get an offer that is better suited to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Ah right I see. Well I do hope you get the TA job! When is the actual interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They're short listing after half term and I think interviews are 7th June or something like that. Fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    They're short listing after half term and I think interviews are 7th June or something like that. Fingers crossed!
    Good luck Hun!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_cook92)
    Can anyone recommend any good primary PGCE books to get? This observational placement has got me so excited

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would read some stuff about childhood. It's nice to read and helps you think about the big picture!

Things like Anita and Me, The story of childhood...

Also read lots of children's books!

If I had to recommend just one textbook I'd say The development of independent reading by Guppy(s p?) and Hughes. Really good overview of the process of learning to read, all the different aspects involved etc.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    Good luck Hun!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    is anybody starting either primary or early years pgce at Chester uni in September? I've been looking to see if there's a group started anywhere but can't find anything, would be great to hear from anyone else who is on the course!

ReputationRep:
    Sadly,I failed the Qts Maths by 3Marks again yesty.Gave my Uni a call about it and gave them my Ucas number so I don't know what'd happen from here.I wondered Why the institution are able to access our score and we are not . All we get to see when logged in is dates of test and a pass or fail.If the new 2yr ban is anything to go by it means exactly 2yrs from now will be when I can sit the test again .What's the point in this rule at all.I hope they find enough people who wants to teach but from where im standing there don't seem to be enough Teachers about to fill the numbers retiring early with all the changes to education.Good luck Mike Gov!! 2yrs will fly by.Enough time to get sharp with my Maths. I wondered if there is any1 out there like me.So deflating.Atleast I haven't got the hard work yet.Good luck to all who win sit their tests soon.x

ReputationRep:
    Hello, a question I need a quick reply to please.

In the school and work experience section under the personal statement, do they want all work experience? For example before my TA job I worked in a school in the admin department, so would this be relevant? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ST10)
    Hello, a question I need a quick reply to please.

In the school and work experience section under the personal statement, do they want all work experience? For example before my TA job I worked in a school in the admin department, so would this be relevant? Thank you!
    I guess it wouldn't hurt? As long as you don't have enough characters, if you don't just put the important stuff in there! I think they will be more bothered about your personal statement

ReputationRep:
    Im starting School Direct with Chester Uni but secondary!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, i'm starting a School Direct place with Chester uni for primary in September found out today soo excited! x

ReputationRep:
    well it's nice to know some other people studying at Chester even if you wont be on my route-are you both going to the pre-induction day on the 17th July or do school direct people have a different date?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyiwaa)
    Sadly,I failed the Qts Maths by 3Marks again yesty.Gave my Uni a call about it and gave them my Ucas number so I don't know what'd happen from here.I wondered Why the institution are able to access our score and we are not . All we get to see when logged in is dates of test and a pass or fail.If the new 2yr ban is anything to go by it means exactly 2yrs from now will be when I can sit the test again .What's the point in this rule at all.I hope they find enough people who wants to teach but from where im standing there don't seem to be enough Teachers about to fill the numbers retiring early with all the changes to education.Good luck Mike Gov!! 2yrs will fly by.Enough time to get sharp with my Maths. I wondered if there is any1 out there like me.So deflating.Atleast I haven't got the hard work yet.Good luck to all who win sit their tests soon.x
    Teaching is oversuscribed and more qualified teachers than apaces available!

ReputationRep:
    Got another rejection through this morning from my Apply 2 choice. I've emailed them asking for feedback but I'm yet to get feedback from my withdrawn offer either. Feeling rather demotivated. Trying to stay positive though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Got another rejection through this morning from my Apply 2 choice. I've emailed them asking for feedback but I'm yet to get feedback from my withdrawn offer either. Feeling rather demotivated. Trying to stay positive though!
    I'm so sorry to hear this. Can you not give a call to the withdrawn offer? they owe you a proper explanation! x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.