This discussion is closed.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
If you were on a jury where you knew a guilty verdict would result in a death sentence, would you vote not guilty? I think I would.
I wouldnt want a guilty person to walk free though. Can't the jury suggest a sentence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I'm sympathetic to putting people to death if they plead guilty however i'm against it in all other circumstances.
Aye. I agree with that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
I wouldnt want a guilty person to walk free though. Can't the jury suggest a sentence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is a proven phenomenon that jury's knowing the person could die are more likely to turn a not guilty verdict if presented with the same evidence.
Aye. I agree with that

Posted from TSR Mobile
But what if the person shows genuine remorse? Or they are covering for someone else?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
It is a proven phenomenon that jury's knowing the person could die are more likely to turn a not guilty verdict if presented with the same evidence.

But what if the person shows genuine remorse? Or they are covering for someone else?
Maybe plead guilty and request the death penalty over life imprisonment?

Then again, I think it was Charles Manson that requested death so they gave him a life sentence instead

Posted from TSR Mobile
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nor would I, but neither would I want to be responsible for sending a man to the gallows.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you were on a jury where you knew a guilty verdict would result in a death sentence, would you vote not guilty? I think I would.
One would hope that of we were to hypothetically bring it back it would be, like in the states, guilty/not guilty and then if guilty death or life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nor would I, but neither would I want to be responsible for sending a man to the gallows.
My position is that murders do deserve to die but that it is morally wrong for the state to execute its citizens when there is a small chance they may be innocent. If somebody pleads guilty then in my opinion the state is absolved and i'd vote guilty for the good of the nation.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
One would hope that of we were to hypothetically bring it back it would be, like in the states, guilty/not guilty and then if guilty death or life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aye. If it were to come back, I'd hope it'd be under that premise

Posted from TSR Mobile
McRite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There should be an international convention to at least have more humane death sentences, most African countries still hang people, and also firing squad in Indonesia.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by McRite)
There should be an international convention to at least have more humane death sentences, most African countries still hang people, and also firing squad in Indonesia.
I'm not sure they're necessarily any less humane (presuming the hanging uses an effective trapdoor method). We're not talking stoning or burning at the stake here.
McRite
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I'm not sure they're necessarily any less humane (presuming the hanging uses an effective trapdoor method). We're not talking stoning or burning at the stake here.
True but the 'sleep' death in the U.S is not much better than suffocating to death?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
True but the 'sleep' death in the U.S is not much better than suffocating to death?
Hanging with a trapdoor isn't supposed to be death by suffocation - the idea of the trapdoor is to immediately break the person's neck.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Publicly hanging some terrorists would not go amiss.
McRite
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hanging with a trapdoor isn't supposed to be death by suffocation - the idea of the trapdoor is to immediately break the person's neck.
Sounds less gruesome...Anyway just best to ban the death sentence worldwide. It isn't as effective as people would like it to be.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sounds less gruesome...Anyway just best to ban the death sentence worldwide. It isn't as effective as people would like it to be.
Who will enforce that ban though?
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If they believe in the death penalty all that's showing are parallels and, above all, sympathy.

I will never agree with the death penalty because of the the sheer hypocrisy of it.
McRite
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't you think that would make them martyrs and motivate more terrorism?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
These things are hard to compare like with like. The US would have a higher homicide rate due to relaxed gun laws regardless of the death penalty.
McRite
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Who will enforce that ban though?
Good point, no one is capable, it's just an idea.
Spoiler:
Show
Would say UN but they're just useless when it comes to enforcement.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't you think that would make them martyrs and motivate more terrorism?
No more than watching an ISIS video.

At any rate, i'm not against the idea of drawing out such filth. I never knew i could despise something so much until ISIS turned up.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (54)
25.59%
No (157)
74.41%

Watched Threads