The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I feel so alone in the world.
Pocket Calculator
Can you not stay in halls again if things fall through? It's not as bad as it sounds, I've done it three years running out of choice!

Your housemates sound awful! have they been like that the whole time or did anything trigger it? do you know why they're like that? are they all like that to you? i guess moving on from them and starting a clean slate is the bese move.
Well to be honest you're almost definitely in he majority there. I barely know anyone who actually knows what they're doing - that includes several postgrads. I wouldn't worry about it. Well, at least don't worry about it more than anyone else does.

Nope, definatly not, this year they had a massive fiasco about not holding enough accomodation for freshers so quite a few (mainly foreign students) are living off campus. Not sure what I'll do if it falls through - I'm hoping it doesn't.

My housemates are just so different to me; one is a very strict Christian who doesn't go out, one is a postgrad so doesn't go out, one is a sweet guy but a bit odd and the other two are the ones I have the main problems with, we're just so different personality wise. I'm likely to say something stupid or do something silly every now and again and they just don't get that most of the time I'm not serious. If they say something sarcastic and I reply with an equally sarcastic answer they look at me like I've just peed on the floor. For example, just before christmas we were all sat in the kitchen, just talking and somehow the topic came round to chavs - One of the guys said something about how female chavs always seem to have long blonde highlighted hair and I said that there's loads in my county - The girl looked at me and went, 'What, like me you mean?' (We both come from Bucks and she has long blonde hair) and I had to back track majorly whilst they went along the 'oh gosh, no need to go that far' line. :rolleyes: They're perfectly happy to point out that I eat chicken nuggets and wedges pretty much all the time (never have the motivation to eat anything else) but when I point out that the guy pretty much lives off of cold pizza and the odd cardboard chip, I get told off. I was told off for drinking half a bottle of blue TVX in my room (which I was drinking because it tastes good, not to get drunk) because I 'should just knock on someones door and drink with someone else around' wheras the lads are more than allowed to sit and watch a movie on their own with a beer. They take great delight in calling me odd names but if I start on them with a 'well, at least I'm not...' they have a go. I always feel that I'm not really wanted when I'm around them, or that I'm their annoying younger sister who won't go away or something.

*Breathes* I'll stop now :p:

It hit me today that it's only a week til I'm back at uni. Ephh.

:hugs: for everyone. If anyone wants to talk, I'll be online for a bit.
jonathan122
I wish there was something special about me. :frown:

:hugs: there is, you make me feel happy. and there is something special in you, you are always there for us and you never judge us. :hugs:
Siti - I shall text you now my dear :smile:

YAP - thanks darling, I'll look into it a bit further this evening...I'm just about to go swimming now!

Jonathan - you are special! You always look out for everyone else in here and ask how we're all feeling and support us even though you're going through 101 things yourself. You are special, don't you dare think otherwise! :hugs:

Minimo - I'm about to go swimming in the attempt that that will make me feel better about myself. Does the gym really work? I'm hoping to join one tomorrow

Kiss_Me_Now - *sighs* I know how you feel hun. The joys of that uni. :frown: :hugs: If I come down and visit soon, I'll be sure to let you know so we can go for a walk or something to get you away from the mean flatmates. Can you not try talking to the postgrad or Christian who doesn't go out? Maybe if you find something in common, even if it's the dislike of the others, you'll feel a tad better?
Reply 5944
minimo
I'm really lonely :frown: My friends are all busy with work and I am too but...

And I want a cuddle. I wish I was home. God I sound lame.

I could really do with a cuddle. Sounds even more lame coming from a guy. I've never really had a cuddle. Not since I was a small child anyway.
Reply 5945
Psyk
I could really do with a cuddle. Sounds even more lame coming from a guy. I've never really had a cuddle. Not since I was a small child anyway.

have an e-cuddle :hugs:

Well I've never had a guy so I haven't had guy-cuddles. Luckily I get lots of hugs from my family.

This is so lame. :p:
Reply 5946
*pink_sapphires*
Kiss_Me_Now - *sighs* I know how you feel hun. The joys of that uni. :frown: :hugs: If I come down and visit soon, I'll be sure to let you know so we can go for a walk or something to get you away from the mean flatmates. Can you not try talking to the postgrad or Christian who doesn't go out? Maybe if you find something in common, even if it's the dislike of the others, you'll feel a tad better?

Nothing like a common enemy to bring people together :biggrin:
Reply 5947
In other news I've put on weight...well like 1kg. I do not know how. I've started at the gym, I'm eating well and everything. I actually thought that I looked slimmer than ever this morning. Ragh, I'm going to double check on another set of scales tomorrow just to be sure.
Reply 5948
minimo
In other news I've put on weight...well like 1kg. I do not know how. I've started at the gym, I'm eating well and everything. I actually thought that I looked slimmer than ever this morning. Ragh, I'm going to double check on another set of scales tomorrow just to be sure.

Starting regular exercise if you were idle before means inevitable muscle gain. Muscle weighs more than fat.
Reply 5949
Planto
Starting regular exercise if you were idle before means inevitable muscle gain. Muscle weighs more than fat.

I know that but I've only started this week and the 5 hours of cardio I've done so far won't give me that much muscle mass :p:
Reply 5950
minimo
I know that but I've only started this week and the 5 hours of cardio I've done so far won't give me that much muscle mass :p:

I really wouldn't worry about gaining a little weight in your first week of cardio. If you're getting more exercise and eating well, you will lose weight. Unless you aren't actually overweight already, in which case losing weight isn't the priority, turning bad weight to good weight is.

Also, I personally wouldn't recommend so much cardio. Try doing a couple of hours cardio a week and a couple of hours weight training. Keeping your muscles active and gaining a little muscle will do absolute wonders for your weight loss, for two reasons:

1) More muscle means more calorie burn when you rest as, obviously, there is more to maintain. This means you'll effectively be losing weight all the time.

2) Weight training before cardio means the cardio itself will have a greater effect on your metabolism.

Also, don't fall into the trap of not eating more when you're doing a lot of exercise.
Reply 5951
Planto
I really wouldn't worry about gaining a little weight in your first week of cardio. If you're getting more exercise and eating well, you will lose weight. Unless you aren't actually overweight already, in which case losing weight isn't the priority, turning bad weight to good weight is.

Also, I personally wouldn't recommend so much cardio. Try doing a couple of hours cardio a week and a couple of hours weight training. Keeping your muscles active and gaining a little muscle will do absolute wonders for your weight loss, for two reasons:

1) More muscle means more calorie burn when you rest as, obviously, there is more to maintain. This means you'll effectively be losing weight all the time.

2) Weight training before cardio means the cardio itself will have a greater effect on your metabolism.

Also, don't fall into the trap of not eating more when you're doing a lot of exercise.

No, I'm pretty slim. My BMI is around 21something. I really want a toned/tight stomach, bum and thighs. Thanks for the weights advice. i really hate doing mine. :o: I do find I'm eating more since I started, though.

Thanks for the help :smile:
Just flew in and got back home. The house is empty, didn't expect it. Was expecting some kind of welcome when I got back, but it hasn't happened.
Saw some girl [read: a really cute/fit girl] in my university hoodie who I vaguely recognised on the bus from Heathrow, really wanted to talk to her, half just to find out if she was a fellow Torontonian. But no, I had to put up with some other guy chatting her up within earshot all the way back :frown:

minimo
don't worry about it! you're not fat, and you're not going to get fat!

hugs for all :hugs:
Im moving back to my student house today. :argh: My housemates hadnt cleaned up and it was all icky and david and me had to clean it all up :frown: :cry: Im so scared, nightmares have come to a climax and i dont want to live there much longer, but I have to :frown: its so cold there and Alex (one of the housemates) doesnt want the heating on so i become ill. One of them is so sheltered and its really infuriating watching her laze around and do nothing such as cleaning and then complains when I show her mould in a pan... she doesnt even wash up. nor does alex. its all icky and its making me ill.

Me and david are looking for a place together. I cant wait. Hopefully we can find somewhere
Reply 5954

Spoiler

Reply 5955
minimo

Spoiler

Maybe not, but it will boost your confidence and make you feel happier. Do get working on those muscles, though; cardio can burn muscle as it does fat, which ain't gonna help you look toned :P
Reply 5956
It's weird. To be honest, I'm quite happy with myself. I get unhappy when I realise everyone else thinks I'm a freak.
minimo
It's weird. To be honest, I'm quite happy with myself. I get unhappy when I realise everyone else thinks I'm a freak.

you arent a freak. :hugs:
anyone around today?
I'm here, having a bad day.

Latest