Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firaila)
    Tarantino:

I agree with this more than Tarantino keeping continuity. Nothing truly new from him in 10 years (I have not seen Inglorious yet so could be corrected).

David Lynch has the use of dream sequences, floor patterns and femme fatales contrasted with the innocent woman. There's also a lot of references to Billy Wilder (Sunset Boulevard in Mulholland Drive) and performing because there's virtually always a stage and a musician in his work.

He also seems to have a fondness of red lights and specifically says to pay attention to any scene in Mullholland Drive that has a red light or lampshade in it.

I wonder what a trademark of Nolan is.

ReputationRep:
    Trademark of Michael Bay: **** blowing up, general confusion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firaila)
    Trademark of Michael Bay: **** blowing up, general confusion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    I agree with this more than Tarantino keeping continuity. Nothing truly new from him in 10 years (I have not seen Inglorious yet so could be corrected).
    xD wow I remember most of those scenes but have never thought of them all like at

Tarantino needs to expand a little, try some new techniques? And seriously stop killing of like 90% of the main characters and or the protagonists in his films, it gets a little annoying :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    xD wow I remember most of those scenes but have never thought of them all like at

Tarantino needs to expand a little, try some new techniques? And seriously stop killing of like 90% of the main characters and or the protagonists in his films, it gets a little annoying :rolleyes:
    You know I also hadn't clicked that in most of his movies everyone dies. I remember when he broke the mould. How ironic that he has now created him own creative constraints.

Which directors do you admire?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a sucker for moments in films like this.

ReputationRep:
    Tarantino needs to expand a little, try some new techniques?
    Tarantino needs to "expand a little"? He revolutionised cinema.

He will have to have a new editor for his next film though, so there may be some creative differences.

ReputationRep:
    My view on the Tarantino front, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And it certainly ain't broke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    You know I also hadn't clicked that in most of his movies everyone dies. I remember when he broke the mould. How ironic that he has now created him own creative constraints.

Which directors do you admire?
    Hmm well as any famous or well known directors he just has own 'signatures' and key directorial elements that make it clear to the audience that he's directing, it's not a huge issue of course. That's just his style of directing so good for him

Stanley Kubrick
    Steven Spielbierg
    John Woo
    Danny Boyle
    Zack Snyder - love how he incorporates and focuses on visuals so much into his films, the stylisation is always really nice to see imo

Also want to add
    The Wachowski Brothers
    Tim Burton
    Byan Singer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Tarantino needs to "expand a little"? He revolutionised cinema.

He will have to have a new editor for his next film though, so there may be some creative differences.
    By expand I guess I meant try a few more techniques, a few more directing trademarks, I'm a fan of QT but he has his haters, they're quite passionate haters too. Think he's a bit of a hack and re-hashes plots and ideas, but whatever, everyone has their own opinion

ReputationRep:
    By expand I guess I meant try a few more techniques, a few more directing trademarks, I'm a fan of QT but he has his haters, they're quite passionate haters too. Think he's a bit of a hack and re-hashes plots and ideas, but whatever, everyone has their own opinion
    Anyone who calls QT a hack clearly doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. You can accuse him of many things, such as wasting his potential, and to a certain extent I'd agree, but to call him a hack is just plain wrong. He is obviously crazily passionate about film to an obsessive extent, and each film for him is a labour of love. If that's hackery then there's no such thing as craft.

As for needing more trademarks, I completely disagree. I don't think there's any other director whose work you can spot so definitively as quickly as him. He directed an episode of CSI a while back, and within the opening scene you just know it's him.

Tarantino is a master of the single scene. His improvements can come in the form of overall structure and organisation, not throwaway motifs and flourishes.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well as any famous or well known directors he just has own 'signatures' and key directorial elements that make it clear to the audience that he's directing, it's not a huge issue of course. That's just his style of directing so good for him

Stanley Kubrick
    Steven Spielbierg
    John Woo
    Danny Boyle
    Zack Snyder - love how he incorporates and focuses on visuals so much into his films, the stylisation is always really nice to see imo
    Quite true, but a signature should be a subtle hint not just a wholesale inclusion.

When I write there are often similar themes and also the same experiences are used, albeit for different reasons and often from different angles.

I often favour writers to directors and Philip K **** stands out. He often had the same themes but his writing was always unique and fresh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Anyone who calls QT a hack clearly doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. You can accuse him of many things, such as wasting his potential, and to a certain extent I'd agree, but to call him a hack is just plain wrong. He is obviously crazily passionate about film to an obsessive extent, and each film for him is a labour of love. If that's hackery then there's no such thing as craft.

As for needing more trademarks, I completely disagree. I don't think there's any other director whose work you can spot so definitively as quickly as him. He directed an episode of CSI a while back, and within the opening scene you just know it's him.

Tarantino is a master of the single scene. His improvements can come in the form of overall structure and organisation, not throwaway motifs and flourishes.
    I actually generally agree with you for the most point - You're leading me to look up some stuff on this - QTs' major criticisms and critics, I think some people may make valid points with in depth study of his work

Yep you're right about the immediacy of his impact on his work, this could inspire a thread in the future, his work is an interesting talking point

some links if you're interested
    http://cinemaroll.com/cinemarolling/...tin-tarantino/

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/fea...he-****-up.php

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=120875

Well one thing's clear, he's as hated as passionately as he's defended, I'm not that swayed to either side, I like him but not hugely, I don't partciularly like him as a person but I don't dislike him, he strikes me as a likeable sort of awkward uncle

Fincher is another director where you can tell it's him; dark, moody look and tone to his films. Even The Social Network is a dark film even though it doesn't deal with subject matters such as someone who has a split personality and a serial killer who murders according to the seven deadly sins. :p:

Plus he has a thing for pushing innovative techniques in his films. I can't remember what it is called, but the scene in Fight Club where the camera swoops around the apartment room was seen as very innovative back in the 90s. Panic Room was basically just him showing off his skills. The introduction of Panic Room (hanging letters in the air) also cost the studio a bit of money back then, IIRC, even though you can do a similar thing like that on your computer for next to nothing these days.

ReputationRep:
    Kill Bill Vol. 3 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1521225/

It had to happen sooner or later... I'm surprised but not that surprised

Kill Bill Vol. 3 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1521225/

It had to happen sooner or later... I'm surprised but not that surprised
    Tarantino always says he is going to do sequels to all the films he has done, rarely happens.

(Original post by Madjackismad)

I wonder what a trademark of Nolan is.
    The opening always seems to describe the basic concept, tagline or premise of the film.

Opening
    The Prestige - narration of the three stages of a magic trick.
    Inception - an idea is the most resilient parasite (although this comes after he is found washed up).
    Memento - the reverse sequence, that can count as explaining the basic concept or premise.

Ending
    The Dark Knight - narration on his running away and becoming a vigilante.
    The Prestige - narration of the three stages of a magic trick and not looking because you don't want to see.

Probably clutching at small straws. Will need to examine more films.

ReputationRep:
    For those at university: do you know of bobnational.net?

If your university is registered, it gives you access to a lot of films, TV, etc. And as someone who hasn't seen many of the films that "FILM FANS MUST SEE", it's proved pretty useful for me.

(Original post by Sanyore)
    For those at university: do you know of bobnational.net?

If your university is registered, it gives you access to a lot of films, TV, etc. And as someone who hasn't seen many of the films that "FILM FANS MUST SEE", it's proved pretty useful for me.
    Nice site. My Neighbour Totoro is on it. :awesome:

Thanks for the heads up.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.