Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Hmm, it seems pretty diverse to me. I know I'm going to be a doctor but where (geographically, type of practice, my role?) is a fairly big question mark so less scary...
    I do feel in a pre-hyperventilation state consistently at the moment with other life issues though!
    Ok, I'll bite. Anything you want to share with us? :p:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.imedicalapps.com/2011/09/...edical-school/

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind getting an ipad to reduce my carbon footprint.

But in all honest, I prefer written notes, I make really detailed notes from lectures textbooks and workbooks so when its revision time all I need to use are my notes. But its definitely a good idea as you can access resources anywhere but for me personally, this leads to a lot of distraction..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    From the email we received:

'3) Educational performance measure will replace educational achievement. This involves students being ranked in deciles (top 10%, 20%, 30% etc) instead of quartiles (top 25%, 50%, 75% etc). Points for additional degrees will remain the same as well as points for prizes, publications and presentations.'

Not sure what the difference is between education achievement and education performance....
    really think this is a good move!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Ok, I'll bite. Anything you want to share with us? :p:
    :giggle: Oh no, my current particularly podginess is chocolate & cortisol related.

Stress is over house buying! (Summary of status: offer accepted, solicitors in communications, survey done but awaiting quote from builders & payslips from NHS for mortgage company final nod & a date to fit the whole chain together!) Trying to avoid my normal stress response of shoveling chocolate... :piggy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    really think this is a good move!
    Fantastic idea, long time coming. Still not enough I reckon. Academic weighting is pissed upon by the current form of FPAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Fantastic idea, long time coming. Still not enough I reckon. Academic weighting is pissed upon by the current form of FPAS.
    Could you elaborate please? (Not really familiar with the current system is like).

Agree deciles are a good idea however worried as does this mean competitive deaneries are going to get even harder to get into? Like London? Also with the academic programmes too.

Anyway more changes are:

'Situational judgement tests will go live next year (2012) and will replace white space questions.'

If by white space Q's they mean questions like describe a situation where you have shown integrity etc.. then they are more than welcome! I like situational judgement tests but they didn't really work in the UKCAT...

ReputationRep:
    Could you elaborate please? (Not really familiar with the current system is like).

Agree deciles are a good idea however worried as does this mean competitive deaneries are going to get even harder to get into? Like London? Also with the academic programmes too.

Anyway more changes are:

'Situational judgement tests will go live next year (2012) and will replace white space questions.'

If by white space Q's they mean questions like describe a situation where you have shown integrity etc.. then they are more than welcome! I like situational judgement tests but they didn't really work in the UKCAT...
    Yes, our year are trialling the SJTs.

What I mean is that the white space questions are worth 50%, your academic ranking worth 40% and any other educational achievements are worth 10%.

The difference between first quartile and bottom quartile (1st ranked and 300th ranked??) is 40% - 34%.

That is a joke imo. The white space questions are so BSy and waffly it reads like a list of buzzwords out of Good Medical Practice mixed with a communication skills session to create a horrible, *******ly abomination.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, our year are trialling the SJTs.

What I mean is that the white space questions are worth 50%, your academic ranking worth 40% and any other educational achievements are worth 10%.

The difference between first quartile and bottom quartile (1st ranked and 300th ranked??) is 40% - 34%.

That is a joke imo. The white space questions are so BSy and waffly it reads like a list of buzzwords out of Good Medical Practice mixed with a communication skills session to create a horrible, *******ly abomination.
    Seriously, white space is worth more than academic ranking? I had honestly thought it was like 75% academia. Gosh thats mental. Thats really unfair, knowing medicine makes you a better doctor than being able to 'reflect' and write about yourself.

In that case, quite happy with the new system coming into place!

ReputationRep:
    My dad gave me my quote of the day:

(Original post by digitalis' Dad)
    You have to have something to communicate in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    My dad gave me my quote of the day:
    Oddly, someone from your year (I think) said something like that today about Barts students and their communication skills.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, white space is worth more than academic ranking? I had honestly thought it was like 75% academia. Gosh thats mental. Thats really unfair, knowing medicine makes you a better doctor than being able to 'reflect' and write about yourself.

In that case, quite happy with the new system coming into place!
    Tbh though, academic ability =/= ability to be a good junior doctor, which is essentially what you're applying for. Knowing the 13 branches of the lumbar plexus or the structure of the ribosome will help your academic rating, but will help little when it comes to the actual job.

ReputationRep:
    What I learned today: 'Lecture' is just a longer word for 'nap'. 2 hours PBL introductory session doubly so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    :giggle: Oh no, my current particularly podginess is chocolate & cortisol related.

Stress is over house buying! (Summary of status: offer accepted, solicitors in communications, survey done but awaiting quote from builders & payslips from NHS for mortgage company final nod & a date to fit the whole chain together!) Trying to avoid my normal stress response of shoveling chocolate... :piggy:
    Oooh, you've bought somewhere? How exciting!

Sorry for the assumption - I've had a couple of "happy announcements" lately (including one at the wedding which I was SO excited about!) so it's easy to jump to conclusions...

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, you've bought somewhere? How exciting!

Sorry for the assumption - I've had a couple of "happy announcements" lately (including one at the wedding which I was SO excited about!) so it's easy to jump to conclusions...
    Need to build the nest first! & get in pre-pregnancy shape with drainpipe veins...

:yep: It says 'SOLD' outside now (met with builders there yesterday) which is exciting but not holding my breath until we have the keys... just hyperventilating intermittently about the whole project. Definitely more £££s than the wedding. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    re deciles, there's still only 10 percent separating bottom decile from top decile (34-43 points)

so yes, some improvement but not massively

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Tbh though, academic ability =/= ability to be a good junior doctor, which is essentially what you're applying for. Knowing the 13 branches of the lumbar plexus or the structure of the ribosome will help your academic rating, but will help little when it comes to the actual job.
    Agreed. But being a good junior doctor =/= aiming for minimum competency in exams, academic or otherwise. I'm sure you agree we should reward effort where it's due!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Need to build the nest first! & get in pre-pregnancy shape with drainpipe veins...
    I went to try and give blood today and they couldn't do it! That was not good for my self-esteem.

Are you in the "I want a prophylactic grey venflon" camp too then?

ReputationRep:
    Are you in the "I want a prophylactic grey venflon" camp too then?
    May I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    May I?
    Whatever does it for you. :p: You might use local, which the maidwives probably wouldn't once they know my job...

My hands are quite easy, but not suitable for blood donations, and the veins in my ACFs are a bit deep.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.