Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhoDaresWins)
    At the end of the day you will most likely get an interview, I'm going to the open day on the 8th, I'll be applying before then but I'll know on that day to expect a rejection.
    I went to their open day over summer. If you find out any more about WP flag could you please PM me thanks as I didn't ask much about that during the open day! I love Manchester, it would be amazing if I got an interview at least 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Kinda sucks for me, I went to a grammar school but I got in because I did extremely well in the entrance exams and got a bursary so my education was free.

Ugh I really wanted to do that Access to Medicine manchester programme or whatever it was but I couldn't because of this.
    That's so unlucky as its not like you are privileged at all really😭 bless you❣fingers crossed for WP flag anyway it might help us out if we get selected for interview! 👻😇

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secondarkhan)
    did my ukcat today and was gutted got an average of 580.
    AR - 650
    QR - 620
    VR - 470

I didnt manage my time well and tbh VR was very hard because they were really complex and very long so done really bad in that.

I am applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee. I know there is very little chances but hopefully my academic grades pulls it up.
    I was in a similar situation to you last year and got 2 interviews as i applied to PS heavy unis. Why not consider BMAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    That's so unlucky as its not like you are privileged at all really😭 bless you❣fingers crossed for WP flag anyway it might help us out if we get selected for interview! 👻😇

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah well thanks Lol

Also if I do find anything else out I'll be sure to PM you!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any tricks/advice on how to speed up in QR? at the moment I'm majorly running out of time *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela__)
    You are actually the Same as me with that logic that's exactly what I was saying lol😂 I'm so excited for you to get your score!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey,

I was going through the Kaplan "How to score higher on UKCAT" book and was wondering, if it's ok to ask and you don't mind sharing, what score you got on the mock at the end of it?

I'm assuming you have this book from a picture you uploaded the other day but I may be wrong. In which case, sorry!

(Sorry to bother you again)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .......Jeff458)
    Hey,

I was going through the Kaplan "How to score higher on UKCAT" book and was wondering, if it's ok to ask and you don't mind sharing, what score you got on the mock at the end of it?

I'm assuming you have this book from a picture you uploaded the other day but I may be wrong. In which case, sorry!

(Sorry to bother you again)
    Funnily enough I never did that mock! ( I should have done lol). before my test when I was in maccies stress eating 😂 I attempted a few AR questions and found it hard so I had to stop as I was freaking out when my test was in like 40 minutes. So sorry I can't help you much but from what I gathered AR was hard in it but I'm bad at AR😂 hey don't worry you aren't bothering me I love to help! Sorry I couldn't help much in this case!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    I was in a similar situation to you last year and got 2 interviews as i applied to PS heavy unis. Why not consider BMAT?
    Hey there! May I know where you applied? And where did you get the interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lidiaislam13)
    Hey there! May I know where you applied? And where did you get the interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey! and sure, i got interviews at sheffield (100% PS last year) and Leeds (AS grades+PS+BMAT). Got rejected by exeter.
    If i used my brain a little bit more when deciding on where to apply, i would have got a brighton interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen111)
    does anyone have any tricks/advice on how to speed up in QR? at the moment I'm majorly running out of time *
    Minimise using the calculator as many questions can be answered without it by simply eyeballing and try to answer some things in your head (if you can) which saves lots of time. When you do need to use the calculator, use the keyboard not the mouse by using number lock. Press ALT+ C to open up calculator, press ALT+N to go to next question, ALT+F to flag. During decision making section, write down the key formulas on the whiteboard ready such as speed=distance/time. Always read the question first as most of the data is a waste of time to read, a lot of questions are basic 1 step problems. I figured most people struggle with time on QR as they analyse the data too much.
    Maybe skip a stem or two that you find difficult and identify this stem that you will skip early on but also guess and flag it. I guessed 4 and still came out with 890!
    Basically the more practice, the better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathbeforeimmortality)
    I got band 1 though. But I am honestly done with the UKCAT. I did things differently, yet still didn't get the score I wass hoping for. Going to try GAMSAT for March.
    what did you do differently in comparison to last year?

ReputationRep:
    WOULD U SAY THAT THE VR passages in the actual test are about this long? xx

[email protected] (FAH or [email protected]) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. The project uses the idle resources of thousands of personal computers owned by volunteers who have installed the software on their systems. Its primary purpose is to determine the mechanisms of protein folding, which is the process by which proteins reach their final three-dimensional structure, and to examine the causes of protein misfolding. This is of significant academic interest with major implications for medical research into Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, and many forms of cancer, among other diseases. To a lesser extent, [email protected] also tries to predict a protein’s final structure and determine how other molecules may interact with it, which has applications in drug design. [email protected] is developed and operated by the Pande Laboratory at Stanford University, under the direction of Prof. Vijay Pande, and is shared by various scientific institutions and research laboratories across the [email protected] is one of the world’s fastest computing systems, with a speed of approximately 40 petaFLOPS: greater than all projects running on the BOINC, another computing platform, combined. This performance from its large-scale computing network has allowed researchers to run computationally expensive atomic-level simulations of protein folding thousands of times longer than previously achieved. Since its launch on October 1, 2000, the Pande Lab has produced 118 scientific research papers as a direct result of [email protected] Results from the project’s simulations agree favorably with experiments.

ReputationRep:
    Minimise using the calculator as many questions can be answered without it by simply eyeballing and try to answer some things in your head (if you can) which saves lots of time. When you do need to use the calculator, use the keyboard not the mouse by using number lock. Press ALT+ C to open up calculator, press ALT+N to go to next question, ALT+F to flag. During decision making section, write down the key formulas on the whiteboard ready such as speed=distance/time. Always read the question first as most of the data is a waste of time to read, a lot of questions are basic 1 step problems. I figured most people struggle with time on QR as they analyse the data too much.
    Maybe skip a stem or two that you find difficult and identify this stem that you will skip early on but also guess and flag it. I guessed 4 and still came out with 890!
    how were u scoring in the modify stems... under time practice.. i keep getting 5/6 out of 10... ? worried af!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    how were u scoring in the modify stems... under time practice.. i keep getting 5/6 out of 10... ? worried af!
    I never did timed practice for QR, but in the original stem is was getting 4 or 5 out of 5. I can't remember my percentage scores in practice analysis i think it was around 90%.
    The real exam is easier than medify

ReputationRep:
    I never did timed practice for QR, but in the original stem is was getting 4 or 5 out of 5. I can't remember my percentage scores in practice analysis i think it was around 90%.

What did you do the night before your exam? ive got mine tomorrow and ive finished all the mocks and practice q. on medify idk what to do lol

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day you will most likely get an interview, I'm going to the open day on the 8th, I'll be applying before then but I'll know on that day to expect a rejection.
    Heya could you let me know too about what they say at the open day? I'd really appreciate it!! Do you know how many interviews they give out? I really wish I had a WP plus flag!

ReputationRep:
    ah i see but, the 90% was not under timed practice? I'm getting 60% under timed...:/

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much! stupid question but can you do add, divide, multiply using the keyboard or do you need to click on the calculator? (I have a mac book and have to click on the calc for these :/ )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamin96)
    What did you do the night before your exam? ive got mine tomorrow and ive finished all the mocks and practice q. on medify idk what to do lol
    I did nothing all day except for a few questions at 10pm not even joking. I was playing cricket and football all day. This was because i wanted to avoid stress and be calm. I felt i could do this as i felt i was at my peak and had prepared enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    ah i see but, the 90% was not under timed practice? I'm getting 60% under timed...:/
    90% untimed so i would spend like over a minute per question to ensure i got them correct. Then when mocks came, i just sped up and started making silly mistakes. this improved over time

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.