lizz-ie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tomo511)
Hey I'm a second year doing NatSci at Bath at the moment, and these were all things I had going through my mind before choosing.

Bath is currently 3rd in the Sunday Times league tables and was University of the year last year so it's definitely got a good reputation.
As for setting you up with a job, I'd say Bath is one of the best top universities for that at the moment, especially with the placement year option that you really should take advantage of.
I currently have interviews with a few of the big energy companies for a year in industry next year which will really help with employment as a lot of companies hire graduates that they've had on placements straight after they've graduated. Even if you decide science isn't what you want to do as a career a few other people on the course have been given placements at some of the big 4 accountancy firms with one of them getting paid £27k for just the years internship.

Nightlife wise I'm the current chair of the NatSci society so of course I'm going to say it's good but we run loads of socials including trips to clubs in Bristol by coach which will only cost you around £5 and that includes entry to the club. We do this a few times a year and so do loads of other societies which you can easily join with your mates. I go to Bristol quite a lot by taxi if it's a mates Birthday and then split the cab fare but that's quite a bit more expensive.
I'm from south London too and the clubs in Bath are obviously smaller than other big cities but they're still great nights out and are always packed, university life wherever you are is going to be great.

Bath is the best choice I've ever made, love it. Hope this helps!
Hi, sorry that this is off-topic, but would you mind me messaging you about the Nat Sci course at Bath?
earthmother65
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tomo511)
Hey I'm a second year doing NatSci at Bath at the moment, and these were all things I had going through my mind before choosing.

Bath is currently 3rd in the Sunday Times league tables and was University of the year last year so it's definitely got a good reputation.
As for setting you up with a job, I'd say Bath is one of the best top universities for that at the moment, especially with the placement year option that you really should take advantage of.
I currently have interviews with a few of the big energy companies for a year in industry next year which will really help with employment as a lot of companies hire graduates that they've had on placements straight after they've graduated. Even if you decide science isn't what you want to do as a career a few other people on the course have been given placements at some of the big 4 accountancy firms with one of them getting paid £27k for just the years internship.

Nightlife wise I'm the current chair of the NatSci society so of course I'm going to say it's good but we run loads of socials including trips to clubs in Bristol by coach which will only cost you around £5 and that includes entry to the club. We do this a few times a year and so do loads of other societies which you can easily join with your mates. I go to Bristol quite a lot by taxi if it's a mates Birthday and then split the cab fare but that's quite a bit more expensive.
I'm from south London too and the clubs in Bath are obviously smaller than other big cities but they're still great nights out and are always packed, university life wherever you are is going to be great.

Bath is the best choice I've ever made, love it. Hope this helps!
Definitely helpful :-) what other unis/courses were you considering when you chose Bath?
Jade C
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Yas20)
I’ve got an offer from Bath for Natural Science and I reallydon’t know what to do! I like the cityand it’s really pretty but I’m having doubt about it. First is bath honestly agood university? I’m worried about itbeing quite low in the world rankings and would I get good jobs after? Another problem is the nightlife... I know it’ssilly to base a university on nightlife but I’m from London and love going out.I’ve heard that people go to Bristol but isn’t it quite far and expensive? I can imagine people not really beingbothered to travel that far all the time. Or do people just go out on campus. I don’t know what to do :confused:

Bath Univiersity its amazing !! My boyfriend's little brother goes there, and I've heard so many great things about the Uni ! and apparently their Student Union is amazing - just like a proper club, so don't worry about the nightlife in Bath so much when you have an amazing student union to go to !!
3 Phase Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jade C)
Bath Univiersity its amazing !! My boyfriend's little brother goes there, and I've heard so many great things about the Uni ! and apparently their Student Union is amazing - just like a proper club, so don't worry about the nightlife in Bath so much when you have an amazing student union to go to !!

Well the SU is ok, score on a wednesday can be good. I'd still prefer to have a few more clubs in town though. Still it is an amazing city so can't complain.
On The Horizon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bath is a good University, it has a reasonable reputation - I wouldn't say the reputation is fantastic in this day and age; you will still be competing against people with degrees from Ivy League institutions, Oxbridge, Durham, Warwick, St. Andrews, UCL, ICL, LSE, etc. so it won't be particularly amazing from the point-of-view of the best job offers. It is still a good University and some departments are ranked very highly, so you will need to research in depth how some future employers would rate a degree from Bath in (x subject).

Personally, I wouldn't ever apply to Bath uni, but it might suite others and there are far worse places to get an education.
RibenaRockstar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by On The Horizon)
Bath is a good University, it has a reasonable reputation - I wouldn't say the reputation is fantastic in this day and age; you will still be competing against people with degrees from Ivy League institutions, Oxbridge, Durham, Warwick, St. Andrews, UCL, ICL, LSE, etc. so it won't be particularly amazing from the point-of-view of the best job offers. It is still a good University and some departments are ranked very highly, so you will need to research in depth how some future employers would rate a degree from Bath in (x subject).

Personally, I wouldn't ever apply to Bath uni, but it might suite others and there are far worse places to get an education.
Well, we're number one for graduate employment in my subject, so I think future employers probably rate my degree fairly highly...
On The Horizon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RibenaRockstar)
Well, we're number one for graduate employment in my subject, so I think future employers probably rate my degree fairly highly...
Did you miss where I said some subjects rank very highly?
RibenaRockstar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did you miss where I said some subjects rank very highly?
No, but I also didn't miss your spelling mistake.
On The Horizon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RibenaRockstar)
No, but I also didn't miss your spelling mistake.
Shouldn't that be "No, and I also didn't miss your spelling mistake."?

You'd have been better off by keeping quiet.
3 Phase Duck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

If you think the ranking of your uni will have have a massive impact on job prospects, you are sadly mistaken. Infact in most cases it has no imapct. However just to stick up for Bath, considering Bath is ranked 3rd by the sunday times and in the top 10 by everyone else, I think they are doing pretty damn well. Especially considering the uni is less than 50 years old.

And I'm sure Bath wont be that disappointed you decided it's not worthy of you applying to them.
On The Horizon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
If you think the ranking of your uni will have have a massive impact on job prospects, you are sadly mistaken. Infact in most cases it has no imapct. However just to stick up for Bath, considering Bath is ranked 3rd by the sunday times and in the top 10 by everyone else, I think they are doing pretty damn well. Especially considering the uni is less than 50 years old.

And I'm sure Bath wont be that disappointed you decided it's not worthy of you applying to them.
I'm applying for GEM next year - with a 1st in Literature and plenty of good work experience. I wouldn't apply to Bath because as a location it doesn't offer me enough opportunity, and the University does not have a good enough reputation to make up for that. Medicine is ultimately Medicine wherever you study, however, Bath is just not somewhere I would want to study it.

The league tables are a joke - they vary so much from year to year - don't pay too much attention to them. What matters is how the general working world view the university - Bath isn't quite up there.

Finally, in reference to your comment that I am sadly mistaken when considering uni reputation as important for getting a job - you are simply wrong. University reputation is a big factor for differentiation between candidates with not much experience (which, for graduates, tends to be common). Experience is incredibly important too, no-one would ever deny that.
earthmother65
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
let it go, guys - there was a similar pointless, petty debate that descended into a horrific, vitriolic spiral on UCL vs. Durham...I can't handle another one on a watched thread of mine!! Uni choices are very, very personal; league rankings are very, very relative...and there isn't a single "right", one-size-fits-all answer.
3 Phase Duck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm applying for GEM next year - with a 1st in Literature and plenty of good work experience. I wouldn't apply to Bath because as a location it doesn't offer me enough opportunity, and the University does not have a good enough reputation to make up for that. Medicine is ultimately Medicine wherever you study, however, Bath is just not somewhere I would want to study it.

The league tables are a joke - they vary so much from year to year - don't pay too much attention to them. What matters is how the general working world view the university - Bath isn't quite up there.

Finally, in reference to your comment that I am sadly mistaken when considering uni reputation as important for getting a job - you are simply wrong. University reputation is a big factor for differentiation between candidates with not much experience (which, for graduates, tends to be common). Experience is incredibly important too, no-one would ever deny that.
Bath doesn't even do GEM so I don't know what the hell you are on about not applying there because of reputation. Bath only does post grad medicine of which you need a medicine degree to get into.

The league tables are based on a set of criteria in which each organisation considers the most important when choosing which uni should be placed where. Some rankings consider certain factors better than others, however given bath is top 10 in all of the tables then that must mean bath is probably worthy of it's position. You may not agree with what the surveys say but it's their job to research and rank each uni accordingly so unless you can somehow come up with your own stats and analysis to prove them otherwise, I can't really take anything you say as a justifiable opinion.

And no, your uni ranking barely has any impact. Perhaps the difference between someone with a degree from a top 10 uni vs someone with a degree from a uni 50, 60+ but with the exception of perhaps big city banking most employers don't give a damn. Employers care far more about experience, degree classification, you as a person and what degree you actually did. I bet the only time employers actually care about uni ranking is when everything is equal from previous experience, a-level grades to overall personality.

I know a guy that got a job in a comercial law firm in london and bet oxbridge graduates, russel group graduates and all sorts to the position, despite the fact he did his degree at kent. I also have a friend of the family that is now fairly high in goldman sachs that did an economics degree at strathclyde university in glasgow. And banking and comercial law are apparently areas where uni reputation is supposed to be a factor. Clearly reputation is less a factor as you would have people believe.

As for Bath not being reputable in the working world, you know this because?

Funny how bath has one of the best graduate jobs prospects in the country according to the complete uni guide they scored 79.1 (oxford scored 79.8) with 93% of graduates in work 6 months after graduation . Funny how bath has one of the most exstensive workplacement schemes in the uk. But of course they aren't highly regarded in the working world.

Your made up opinion =/= what actually happens.
On The Horizon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wonder if you're having a conversation in your own head, slightly different to what I'm actually posting.

The facts: bath is not considered part of the elite; Oxbridge, Durham, the 3 big London colleges are the elite - the very best in this country according to common perception [which is hugely important when starting your career]. Bath isn't a bad university, it is not "not reputable" - you're getting my post wrong. Bath is, however, as I said, is not quite up there with some of the elite. You just need to spend time doing your research, Bath isn't a common first choice for the best academics, both at undergraduate level and postgraduate. It is still a good university (I feel I need to keep repeating that incase you get upset and let your emotions get away with you again).

I didn't even consider Bath for medicine, so I didn't know whether or not it offered GEM - I wouldn't have applied even had there been an opening: that's my opinion, relax and allow me to express it.

So, to summarize: Bath is a good uni, not considered the best, plenty of people have degrees from more elite places with longer/better reputations, these people will be applying for jobs - Bath candidates may well lose out to candidates with similar CVs but degrees from more elite places - then again Bath is still going to trump many other universities. The fact is though, that Bath is unlikely to be good enough for getting the best training contracts / graduate positions - it is not impossible, it will happen in some circumstances, but plenty of other graduates from better universities will take those elite positions instead.
RibenaRockstar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wonder if you're having a conversation in your own head, slightly different to what I'm actually posting.

The facts: bath is not considered part of the elite; Oxbridge, Durham, the 3 big London colleges are the elite - the very best in this country according to common perception [which is hugely important when starting your career]. Bath isn't a bad university, it is not "not reputable" - you're getting my post wrong. Bath is, however, as I said, is not quite up there with some of the elite. You just need to spend time doing your research, Bath isn't a common first choice for the best academics, both at undergraduate level and postgraduate. It is still a good university (I feel I need to keep repeating that incase you get upset and let your emotions get away with you again).

I didn't even consider Bath for medicine, so I didn't know whether or not it offered GEM - I wouldn't have applied even had there been an opening: that's my opinion, relax and allow me to express it.

So, to summarize: Bath is a good uni, not considered the best, plenty of people have degrees from more elite places with longer/better reputations, these people will be applying for jobs - Bath candidates may well lose out to candidates with similar CVs but degrees from more elite places - then again Bath is still going to trump many other universities. The fact is though, that Bath is unlikely to be good enough for getting the best training contracts / graduate positions - it is not impossible, it will happen in some circumstances, but plenty of other graduates from better universities will take those elite positions instead.
One thing contributing to your view may be that you're coming at this from a Literature point of view and we have that as a subject at Bath, which would contribute to your lack of awareness of Bath as an elite choice.

Also, you did your UCAS application a few years ago now for undergrad, things have changed even since then, loads of the people I know here are Oxbridge rejects (me included), especially in Engineering, and so on.
River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And as someone who has only just got her degree, and presumably never worked in a graduate job for even a day (or even wants to work in an area where university reputation is supposedly) so important), how would you know?

Graduate employment is a large and complex area. However, in simple terms, the majority of employers care little (if any) for university reputation. Even those who do will usually make little distinction between most Russell and 1994 Group universities (so Durham, St Andrews and Bath in other words).

In employer reviews you'll find universities such as Bath, as well as larger Russell Group universities such as Manchester and Sheffield, all perform as well as your "elite" universities such as Durham. In fact, according to the Times High Flyer survey Manchester is the most targeted in the country. Manchester is not in your elite. This isn't surprising as it is the largest single site university in the country, and employers will target the largest and best universities as this is the most effective way of getting their company's name out to potential employees.

In short it is university size, as much as abstract reputation, which determines how targeted universities are.

Finally, in reference to your comment that I am sadly mistaken when considering uni reputation as important for getting a job - you are simply wrong. University reputation is a big factor for differentiation between candidates with not much experience (which, for graduates, tends to be common)t.
Again, what makes you say that? Although the majority of graduates are still young they are able to offer experience. It is the person who gets the job, not a university's reputation.

The facts: bath is not considered part of the elite; Oxbridge, Durham, the 3 big London colleges are the elite - the very best in this country according to common perception [which is hugely important when starting your career].
The "elite"? Really? That certainly isn't an academic elite as there are at least twenty universities (including Bath) who are broadly comparable to Durham and UCL.

Perhaps among A-level applicants and maybe the general public (who, if they hear I'm a Durham graduate, will often raise an eyebrow and say "oh, that's supposed to be a really good university isn't it"). However employers, who have experience employing graduates from a range of universities (and therefore recognise that the quality of Russell and 1994 Group universities, and graduates they produce, can be broadly comparable) won't necessarily think this way.

Bath isn't a bad university, it is not "not reputable" - you're getting my post wrong. Bath is, however, as I said, is not quite up there with some of the elite.
No, it isn't a bad university. It is a very good university indeed. I would you like you to form a coherent argument in favour of it being "worse" than, say, Durham and offering worse graduate prospects/having an inferior reputation among employers in a broad range of career areas.
River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OK, well I've defended Bath against claims it's not as "good" as Durham, but at the same time I won't have anyone saying Bath is substantially better (unless he or she can provide a more coherent argument).

(Original post by richardjonesbb)
When I said, "pretty much the best" the strong inference of what I was saying was some people might think Bristol, Durham, Warwick are better - but that, in my opinion and experience, they are wrong.
Well in my experience and knowledge you are wrong.

These are all Russell Group/1994 Group universities and among the strongest in the country. They are big, complex institutions with different strengths and weaknesses. It's a bit absurd to draw dividing lines between them and even quite absurd to compare them to some extent.

What makes you think that Durham is worse than Bath? Quality of student will be comparable and so too their performance in the 2008 RAE (Durham stronger in physics and chemistry, Bath stronger in Maths and engineering). Quality of teaching will also be comparable.

Employers, and the real world, think differently. I am sure there are the odd Bristol, Durham graduates at leading firms like Bain, McK, Goldman, Rothschild...but they are much, much rarer than Bath grads - who are, in my experience, by far the most numerous group of the non Oxbridge/Golden Triangle unis among recent grads.
Hmm....I think you're a bit biased toward finance. If you look at something like law then you'll see Durham quite well represented in Magic Circle firms. Or the Civil Service. Finance, in my experience, has never been a major attraction to Durham graduates. It is only one career area.

And this is kind of the point I'm making. Universities have different strengths and weaknesses and teach different subjects. Durham is strong in law, a subject Bath don't even teach. Durham are strong in other humanities and social sciences such as Geography, Classics, English...again often not taught by Bath. Bath teaches subjects such as Pharmacy and architecture, these aren't offered by Durham (well, pharmacy is soon to be).

Durham in particular is massively overrated in these circles. It had a fantastic rep. until the late 1970s, but I have hardly ever seen a ranking (in the last 10 years) where it has beaten Bath. Ive never seen Bath outside of the top 12 or 13, and it is more often than not in the top 10.
You clearly haven't looked very hard then. If you did then you'll find Durham has consistantly been in the top 10 in the last eight or so years , often as high as top five. In the early years of the rankings (ie mid 1990s) it was also top five/ten before falling out of the top ten briefly. I don't think there's been any Times ranking in the last 10 years, and many(if any) in the last 20 years (ie since it was established) that has placed Bath higher.

In short, I have no idea what you've been looking at. Even in international tables, where neither will rank as high as the likes of Manchester, there isn't significant difference iirc.

Note I'm not using this to say that Durham is amazing and "better" than Bath, as I don't think it is. I am just stating the fact that Durham has consistantly outranked Bath over the years even if some years it's been a handful of places.
3 Phase Duck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by River85)
OK, well I've defended Bath against claims it's not as "good" as Durham, but at the same time I won't have anyone saying Bath is substantially better (unless he or she can provide a more coherent argument).

These are all Russell Group/1994 Group universities and among the strongest in the country. They are big, complex institutions with different strengths and weaknesses. It's a bit absurd to draw dividing lines between them and even quite absurd to compare them to some extent.

What makes you think that Durham is worse than Bath? Quality of student will be comparable and so too their performance in the 2008 RAE (Durham stronger in physics and chemistry, Bath stronger in Maths and engineering). Quality of teaching will also be comparable.

Hmm....I think you're a bit biased toward finance. If you look at something like law then you'll see Durham quite well represented in Magic Circle firms. Or the Civil Service. Finance, in my experience, has never been a major attraction to Durham graduates. It is only one career area.

And this is kind of the point I'm making. Universities have different strengths and weaknesses and teach different subjects. Durham is strong in law, a subject Bath don't even teach. Durham are strong in other humanities and social sciences such as Geography, Classics, English...again often not taught by Bath. Bath teaches subjects such as Pharmacy and architecture, these aren't offered by Durham (well, pharmacy is soon to be).

You clearly haven't looked very hard then. If you did then you'll find Durham has consistantly been in the top 10 in the last eight or so years , often as high as top five. In the early years of the rankings (ie mid 1990s) it was also top five/ten before falling out of the top ten briefly. I don't think there's been any Times ranking in the last 10 years, and many(if any) in the last 20 years (ie since it was established) that has placed Bath higher.

In short, I have no idea what you've been looking at. Even in international tables, where neither will rank as high as the likes of Manchester, there isn't significant difference iirc.

Note I'm not using this to say that Durham is amazing and "better" than Bath, as I don't think it is. I am just stating the fact that Durham has consistantly outranked Bath over the years even if some years it's been a handful of places.
True voice of reason. Too many people these days have such a high opinion of their own uni and lower opinions of others when quite frankly they are pretty much the same. And when it comes to things that matter i.e. employment, the employer couldn't care less if you are a durham graduate or a bath grduate or ucl etc. There are far more important things the employer is concerned about than which uni was ranked 7th and which was ranked 9th.

The people that think think they can ride on the reputation of their uni are in for a big shock.
richardjonesbb
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by River85)

Sure you make some really good points. I agree - I didn't have time to write a full piece on every aspect, but as a very broad generalization, I think Bath is better than Durham...it goes without saying that of course there are some subjects Durham is better at - and indeed, you are probably correct about career options. That comes back to what I was saying about university's like Durham being more old school vs places like Bath being 'newer' and taking longer to establish themselves. Your point about Law, the Civil Service etc fits with this...
Hackett
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by richardjonesbb)
Sure you make some really good points. I agree - I didn't have time to write a full piece on every aspect, but as a very broad generalization, I think Bath is better than Durham...it goes without saying that of course there are some subjects Durham is better at - and indeed, you are probably correct about career options. That comes back to what I was saying about university's like Durham being more old school vs places like Bath being 'newer' and taking longer to establish themselves. Your point about Law, the Civil Service etc fits with this...
**** bro' you must be living the dream: Harvard, Goldmans, Mck, own business - what a trooper......yet you appear to be tralling around a student forum arguing about university rankings.

Btw Durham is better than bath with regards to jobs in finance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.31%
I'm not sure (59)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (371)
29.33%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (617)
48.77%

Watched Threads