Philosophy Applications 2010 Watch

littleshambles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by missmourk)
Ok, that was a bad example. But nevertheless, I could come across as a completely pompous twit who doesn't really know what she is talking about! My personal statement is chock full of scepticism and I can just see it backfiring... oh well!
It only backfires if you get to the interview, they ask you about it and it turns out you have no idea why you are so sceptical and just wrote it to look cool. As long as you make a good attempt to defend what you think, even if you think you're shown to be wrong by the interviewer, you'll be fine. There's definitely nothing wrong with realising you're wrong halfway through an interview and changing your mind. Being right isn't what being a good philosopher is about.

There's no way you came across as more pompous than I did in my personal statement. :moon:

P.S. for Jesus vs. Emma, I'm not sure about accommodation which could rape my point, but I think Emma is more central... Not that that's a particular concern unless you're looking at Homerton or Girton.
missmourk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thank you! Oh and I changed at last minute from Jesus to Emma... my UCAS form has been 'processed'. Aaah, too nerve-racking to handle.
QED
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Shambles, did you write in the additional PS in the SAQ?
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know you didn't ask me but I didn't because I'm lazy
missmourk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As for the SAQ again, do you think that it's worth it to mention reading I've done in Formal Logic - I slightly regret not having put it in my UCAS ps....
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Only if you are confident with it. You will do a logic test at interview, so if you've said you've read about it and then don't do very well in the test it won't look good.
QED
Rep:
?
I've just finished my SAQ, managed to write an additional personal statement as well. Now this is scarytimes.
m i l o
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just received my first offer from Sheffield!!! Still need to complete my SAQ for Cambridge.

Anyone looked into Heythrop College?
QED
Rep:
?
You've got an offer! Well done. Lucky *******. :p:
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by m i l o)
Just received my first offer from Sheffield!!! Still need to complete my SAQ for Cambridge.

Yes, looks and sounds really good. I'm going down this half term to have a look at the place. Well done on your offer from Sheffield. I'm looking to go there too but I doubt I will receive an offer from them based on my predicted grades
MrGumby
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by m i l o)

Well done. :yy: Sheffield was the first to give me an offer...seems like so long ago... :moon:

Anyway, I've just started at Durham, so I'll be on hand to answer any questions you have about Durham. :yep:

Good luck all!
m i l o
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep, I was overwhelmed by the early decision! Addicted to Track now, though.

Oh, and thanks MrGumby.
QED
Rep:
?
I want an offer so bad. :coma: (I already have resigned myself to spending half-term refreshing track, it's my 'rock up the mountain' Sisyphus-stylee.)
m i l o
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well I have to make sure my essays arrive on time!
QED
Rep:
?
I have no essays to send; I wish I did.
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you're sending essays to the unis you've applied to?
this is new :/
littleshambles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not all unis alexterry, but a lot of Cambridge colleges ask for essays from their applicants as part of the selection process. (I don't know about Oxford but I don't think anyone here is applying for Oxford, are they? And where are all the UCL applicants. We had the best 09 RAE score for Philosophy, you know "")

I remember mine, one of them was a really terrible essay about liberalism and the other was an English Lit essay on Measure for Measure which was rather good.
jimmyraven
Report 9 years ago
So i'm predicted 3 A's, I have one bad AS and another AS predicted A, where do yall think i should apply?
so far i have
LSE (for the krazie choice)
KCL
Dundee (for absolute insurance)

and i'm thinking
Cardiff
UCL
Edinburgh
Manchester?
Liverpool?

anywhere else i should be thinking of?HELP ME DECIDE QUICK
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jimmyraven)
So i'm predicted 3 A's, I have one bad AS and another AS predicted A, where do yall think i should apply?
so far i have
KCL

and i'm thinking
Cardiff
UCL
Edinburgh
Manchester?
Liverpool?

Bristol
Durham etc
miranda13
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jimmyraven)
so far i have
KCL

and i'm thinking
Cardiff
UCL
Edinburgh
Manchester?
Liverpool?

ed's pretty hard to get into, harder than it seems by the BBB requirments so be wary of that. manchesters a really good student city as is liverpool so i think you should consider both of those
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (207)
40.19%
No - but I will (31)
6.02%
No - I don't want to (35)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (242)
46.99%

Watched Threads