Ever read the Holy Bible? Watch

Glorious Lozhka
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Agnostic/Bertie's Allsort. I've read bits and pieces, and generally find that the Old Testament never fails to leave me slightly gobsmacked when I do start reading it. For example, I remember there was one bit where all these Sodomites came to Lot's house, and Lot said something like, "Don't rape me!! ... But you can have my daughters, they're virgins :awesome: " Just... wow. :eek3:
ashy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Only at school when we had to learn various passages for GCSE (Religious Studies was compulsory).

And I know large chunks which are used in psalms, hymns and various religious musical works.

Oh and I am an atheist, thank God
Vivisteiner
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Srxjer)
Religious background: Atheist.

Ever read it: Most of it. It's an interesting work of fiction.
I completely disagree with you. Its not interesting.
philjw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Religous background: Christian

Have I read it?: Yes, all of it at least once and many parts repeatedly.
Phugoid
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by duke5)
This question is directed mainly at those who are not overly or particularly religious, but rather those who consider themselves well-read, literary or curious. I'm not asking for atheistic rants or scientific denunciations, just interested to see how many people have actually bothered to read the scriptres of perhaps the most important piece of literature known to man.

For that reason, please can you state your religious background, whether you've read it or not, did you understand it or not, and if you DID, what did you make of it?

I'll start.

Religious background: Christian, not devout.

Ever read it: No, just bought a copy though.
Religious Background: Not Religious.

Ever read it: Yes, cover to cover.

Understand it: Yes, I understand what they're TRYING to say. But I don't understand in a way that what they say 'makes sense'. It doesn't make sense at all, it's nonsense for the most part.

What did you make of it: It is most definitely not the most important piece of literature known to man. This book could easily be forgotten by the whole world and it would have nothing but positive effects.
JonoDrew
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Background: Catholic, until I reached the age of reason

Have I read the Bible: Yes, almost cover to cover, but like another poster skipped "and he begot him, and he begot him, and much begotting later, etc etc" But. Read all of it.

Question: Have you read the Satanic Bible? Now that's an interesting work of literature.
twigletsandtea
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ashy)
Only at school when we had to learn various passages for GCSE (Religious Studies was compulsory).

And I know large chunks which are used in psalms, hymns and various religious musical works.

Oh and I am an atheist, thank God

no pun intended? :lol:
ashy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by twigletsandtea)
no pun intended? :lol:
Oh very much intended :tongue:
Hanelisar
Report 9 years ago
I'm an atheist.

I've read the Bible...several times. I had a kid's version when I was younger and although I knew people believed in God I thought it was just a really cool story book. Then when I got older I figured I should read the proper version so I read the NIV Bible and now I'm going to read Theology at uni I've read the King James.

Read them both a few times and...I'm not sure what you mean by 'understand'. I knew what was going on and what was trying to be said, if that's what you mean? I didn't (and still don't) understand why so many people believe it and how they can make sense of it, but this isn't a theological discussion so I'm not going to go into detail there.

Generally I think it's an interesting read and I think it's really important for everyone to read it before they can have an opinion on Christianity - even a simplified version would be a start. It angers me when people say 'oh I'm an atheist, that whole Christian thing is stupid' and then say they've never read the Bible.

Some of it is very dull though. Great tracts of Genesis and parts of Leviticus are very dull, and was never particularly interested in the Judges. So I can see why people find it hard to read.
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Religious Background: Raised & Confirmed Catholic, lost faith & now staunch atheist

I've read a fair bit of the New Testament, as well as Genesis and Exodus from the OT. This was simply because I went to a Catholic primary school and had to read the bible. I understand what the New Testament is trying to say, but I don't buy it. I simply find the idea of a God to be a bit barmy.

As for the most important piece of literature known to man . . . maybe to Christians. I'm sure that the Muslims, Jews, Sikhs, Hindus and Buddhists around the world would beg to differ. I personally think that On The Origin of Species is the most important book ever written . . .
munro90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by gm15)
Anyone whose not christian thinks its fiction or they'd be christians. So don't attack people for saying its fiction

Anywya my answer
Religious background: Not religious.
Yes I've read some of it. Not cover to cover as well that takes a lot of time. I might some time.
I don't think that was an attack, she was making a valid point that the person who originally wrote that was clearly just trying to bait people and as such was trying to derail quite a nice interesting thread.

OP-
Catholic (I've had my doubts but i believe faith is something i have to work at; if it was easy it wouldn't be faith)

I've read bits- that which comes up in the liturgy of the word and other bits at times (i have at least two bibles on my shelf). I probably should find time to read it cover to cover really
Rubgish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Atheist

I've read a couple of pages, then I got bored and set fire to it instead. It was pretty and much more interesting.
Dijobla
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rubgish)
Atheist

I've read a couple of pages, then I got bored and set fire to it instead. It was pretty and much more interesting.
You burnt a book? :eek2:
D00
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Only read abit of the Old Testament, cos it's the most interesting part. And I'm atheist.
Rubgish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dijobla)
You burnt a book? :eek2:
To be fair, it was the free one you get in year 7. And everyone else was doing it, so I claim peer pressure :p:
Arctic_wombaT
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Religious background: Atheist

Ever read it: some at school, pretty interesting i thought, however i do intend to read all of it one day...
User237126
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Religious background: Christian
Religion: Atheist
Read the Bible? Yes
Interesting? Very, in places, purely because of the massive contradictions therein which I found hilariously funny.
Fuzzpig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I read a lot of the new testament as a child, having been through the CofE schooling system.

Interestingly, despite going to a Church-run nursery, and CofE schools up to the age of about 13-14, I never felt I had any belief in God, or any higher power. Sure, I prayed and sang with the rest of the school, but that was just part of the routine.

I read those parts of the Bible in study, out of curiosity (my own copy given to me upon leaving nursery) and to appear informed.

Forgotten most of it now though.
Hugh-Jackman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
got read most of it to me at primary school, even then i thought it was tripe. Both parents are athiests and I've never been christian'd or anything. RE at high school I'd be thrown out a lot for laughin at the ridiculous stuff religious people do and believe.

I wouldn't waste my time reading it now, plenty of factual books to read that are more interesting and beneficial.

I can honestly say this, not one of my friends is religious or even slightly believes in God, not even like distant friends that I speak to now and that is too my knowledge. I really do think religious people lack basic commonsense or had such severe brainwashing. I mean seriously just get a grip and look at what you believe in. Is your life that empty now that you need something better in the (supposed)afterlife.
Missmeem
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Atheist and most of it at school, yes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads