What sentence do you believe the liquid bomb plotters should have received today? Watch

Poll: What sentence do you believe the liquid bomb plotters should have received today?
Brutal execution (beheading, burning, and so on) (17)
14.91%
Moderate execution (hanging, lethal injection, and so on) (17)
14.91%
Absolute life imprisonment (they will never leave prison, unless new and certain evidence is produced) (60)
52.63%
The sentence the judge has provided today (strong chance of early release and probably not serving until death) (16)
14.04%
A smaller prison sentence. (2)
1.75%
Nothing, they should have been released without punishment. (2)
1.75%
Overground
Badges: 17
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Blátönn)
I don't think this is a moral issue as much as an issue of expediancy. In prison he can still influence others, and when he is released he could enact his murderous schemes upon the innocent populace. Should he be slain now then he poses no further threat - basic rule of utilitarianism: the greatest good for the most people.

Also, sticking him in prison may serve simply to reinforce his ideology in his mind and drive him onwards to even greater retribution. Machiavelli said 'men should either be treated generously or destroyed, for they take revenge for minor injuries, but for major ones they cannot'.
Even if I agreed with all of that I'd disagree with the death penalty for a simple reason - we can never be 100% sure of someone's guilt.
Blátönn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Overground)
Even if I agreed with all of that I'd disagree with the death penalty for a simple reason - we can never be 100% sure of someone's guilt.
And that is where Bentham's Principle of Utility comes in. It's better that many people who are guilty of heinous crimes and a few innocent are killed, than to allow murderers and terrorists leniancy. As unfortunate as it is a few innocents would have to 'take one for the team' in order to ensure the greater good for the majority.
nowheree
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
15-30 years prison time to try and deter them from doing anything in the future, then export them to where they came from and don't allow them back in the uk
EnthusiasticEnthusiast
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A brutal death, simply to show others what would have happened and what will happen if they try this in the future or any sort of terrorism.

I'm quite sure that had anyone tried the same thing in Iran, Pakistan or where ever the men are originally from, they wouldn't have been given food, shelter and clothes. It would have been more along the lines of. "And now the executer is tearing into the man's torso, with a rusty knife, removing his intestines and feeding them to him. He is now picking up a rather large hammer and breaking his legs, whilst the other is scalping him."

I'm sorry but men like that don't deserve to live.
TopSlacker
Report 9 years ago
Brutal Execution? This isn't the 1600s anymore.
xxcolettexx
Report 9 years ago
They should have re-created the bombs they made and killed using them, considering they were prepared to die in the first place.
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
32-40 years in prison is pretty much a life sentence. There is no chance of parole up until that time. Even if they co-operate, I doubt that any Home Office minister will want to commit political suicide by releasing them early. These guys will be 60-70 when they leave prison.

Nobody deserves to be sentenced to death - that's not justice, it's simply vengeance.
gyyy2807
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Life, and I mean life, imprisonment, without any chance of parole.
Batteries Not Included
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
32-40 years in prison is pretty much a life sentence. There is no chance of parole up until that time. Even if they co-operate, I doubt that any Home Office minister will want to commit political suicide by releasing them early. These guys will be 60-70 when they leave prison.
There are plenty of people in their 60s who are active and hold the ability to be capable of mass murder.
king_lewis
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sammy_boy)
Stick there familys on a plane and blow it up.... Then burn them alive in scolding water
haha, quality...i couldn't agree more
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Batteries Not Included)
There are plenty of people in their 60s who are active and hold the ability to be capable of mass murder.
And how many of them have lived most of their lives in a maximum security prison?

32/36/40 years in jail does a lot to your mind.
tldr22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I doubt their guilt; they should not be sentenced yet. This way the evidence can be certain before giving a harsh punishment, or they can go free without doing time.

edit: Not to mention a brutal/public execution would stir up a world of shít
Tory Dan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hang them from Tower Bridge and stick their heads on spikes.
Batteries Not Included
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
And how many of them have lived most of their lives in a maximum security prison?

32/36/40 years in jail does a lot to your mind.
I wouldn't be willing to risk that people who were happy to not only kill themselves, but thousands of other people might have been changed through spending several years in prison. If anything, being confined in prison could strengthen their resolve.
Batteries Not Included
Rep:
?
(Original post by tldr22)
I doubt their guilt.
So, videos of them stating their intentions were made up?
rob6709
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Supersharpshooter)
:yep:

Yep, A bullet in the head's the way forward. Everyone's a winner, we get to not pay for them to be locked up and they get to be a martyr.
Thats the easy way out. How about burning them Brahma Bull style?
pocketfulofposy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Life with no parole.

Whether they killed anyone or not, the mere fact they were planning on committing such evil acts and on such a large scale, shows they are not fit to be part of society.
tldr22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Batteries Not Included)
So...
Could've been forced to do so
crusading
Report 9 years ago
I think they should have been executed, and then their familiues should be deported to some horrible islamic state. see how much they love islam then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.32%
No - but I will (74)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (69)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (475)
48.17%

Watched Threads