Cycling Watch

Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DeanK22)
I didn't mean he should go for a four week training camp in the alps but maybe do some hill repeats at least once a week. Or if he wants to focus on sprinting go to the velodrome once a week.
As I said, at the moment I'm just looking at what seems to suit me and what interests me and doing that because at this stage I'm just looking to get more saddle time and build some base fitness before the real training starts in term time. Naturally as the season progresses I can look at my weaker points and tailor my training to improve them but right now I think it's too early to worry about having weaker areas when I'm going to make big improvements in all areas simply by putting the miles in.

On that note, I'm off for a ride now. I'll probably just make it 40-50 minutes since I'm supposed to be running later aswell.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chumbaniya)
As I Naturally as the season progresses I can look at my weaker points and tailor my training to improve them but right now I think it's too early to worry about having weaker areas when I'm going to make big improvements in all areas simply by putting the miles in.
You are planning on just going to be doing some LSD work until January/February.

You need to include some efforts or you will only get good at riding steady and get - crudely out - absolutely raped when you go out for your first interval session with the other members. You then have the insane task of (a) Doing work by yourself to get to their level (b) Still trying to impress the members even though you can't ride with them.
The two tasks go hand in hand (you are hardly going to be picked if nobody knows how you can ride).

A bbig advantage of efforts als is that you will ride in groups. It is easy to ride behind someone; but when you are riding behind someone, and there are people to your left, right and rear and you have never done anything like that before it could can be both scary and dangerous to others if you cannot hold your line.
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You are planning on just going to be doing some LSD work until January/February.

You need to include some efforts or you will only get good at riding steady and get - crudely out - absolutely raped when you go out for your first interval session with the other members. You then have the insane task of (a) Doing work by yourself to get to their level (b) Still trying to impress the members even though you can't ride with them.
The two tasks go hand in hand (you are hardly going to be picked if nobody knows how you can ride).

A bbig advantage of efforts als is that you will ride in groups. It is easy to ride behind someone; but when you are riding behind someone, and there are people to your left, right and rear and you have never done anything like that before it could can be both scary and dangerous to others if you cannot hold your line.
Until January? Hell no. Until term starts in a couple of weeks, yes. After a focus on rowing and then strength training prior to wanting to take up cycling more seriously, I know I can trust myself when it comes to shorter bursts, so it makes sense to me to put in as much base fitness work as I can before I've got the opportunity to train with others. If the club rides are too difficult to keep up with right from the start of October, then I would never have had a chance to get up to that standard no matter what I did over the summer and as someone who is certainly fitter than most with a solid enough bike I'd be disappointed that the club doesn't cater for people who haven't cycled seriously for years before coming to university.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You do know that the rdes you will do with the other guys will focus on base fitness? You will be doing these rides until january / february no matter what you say (or you will if you don't want to risk being a winter wonder). The only difference is that they might do or go harder on efforts and then when they do start interval trainig in feb/april things will not be good for you.

My advice is not made up - no need to go "hell no".
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You do know that the rdes you will do with the other guys will focus on base fitness? You will be doing these rides until january / february no matter what you say (or you will if you don't want to risk being a winter wonder). The only difference is that they might do or go harder on efforts and then when they do start interval trainig in feb/april things will not be good for you.

My advice is not made up - no need to go "hell no".
I'm confused about what you're trying to tell me. First I'm criticised for the idea that I won't be doing the same kind of training as the other riders, and then when I tell you I'm going to be training with the club as soon as I can I'm criticised for that.
User203443
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Same for us - base training starts now and will go on until late Jan. You can't keep up with hard training all year around.
Base training makes a massive difference anyway.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm confused about what you're trying to tell me. First I'm criticised for the idea that I won't be doing the same kind of training as the other riders, and then when I tell you I'm going to be training with the club as soon as I can I'm criticised for that.
I am confused by what you are telling me. You should be training with the club - who will be doing LSD until Jan/Feb. But when I tell you this you say you will not be doing it until January - so I can only presume that you are going to do your own training.
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am confused by what you are telling me. You should be training with the club - who will be doing LSD until Jan/Feb. But when I tell you this you say you will not be doing it until January - so I can only presume that you are going to do your own training.
You criticise the idea that I will be doing nothing but LSD until January, telling me that I need to do higher effort stuff and assuming that I won't be training with the club, saying that if I do this I will struggle when the pace is picked up. I then tell you I will be training with the club - who I realise will be focusing on steady distance work for the winter - and then I'm told that I can't be intending to train with the club.

I think you might have misunderstood when I said I was doing purely LSD work until the start or term - that doesn't mean I'm starting to look at sharpening up for races after that, it means I'm going to train with the team from then so what I do is mostly down to what the club training consists of.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Club training LSD is different to solo LSD. There will always be occasional sprints and competitons for signs and hils. You are hardly going to do this by yourself every time you go out. (I did not say you couldn't train with the club either - just that in feb/april when they pick things up and you haven't got a solid foundation things are going to be bad [I would be surprised if you could manage all the training rides and efforts as the other guys simply by virtue of the fact that they will have done many 4 hour + rides [you might have - I don't do know, but frorm what you keep posting here it seems like you only ride for about 50 minutes [or 90] - so when they do do a long ride they will know how to cope, what to expect and what effort to put in without absolutely bonking).

So you may not be able to do rides like that. There will also undoubtedly be Turbo Training sessions, etc where you go at your own with nobody telling you what to do - they may go harder.

What I am trying to say is; ride with the clube when you can but when they do, say a mega long ride which (after tryng one you can tell if you can cope), don't go out and do some gentle riding - do some hill training hard. When there is a turbo session because of crap whether go out and do some hill training.

The best way you can hope to keep up with the other riders in terms of racing next year is if you build your leg strength up by seated hills and get used to pain from the hills.
User203443
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No such thing as poor weather - just poor clothing.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ramble)
No such thing as poor weather - just poor clothing.
http://www.wholeathlete.com/photos/f...flood_bike.jpg

lol

In all seriousness I do detest going outside when it is already raining - I don't mind if it starts when I am already riding though.
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Flooding should be no obstacle to the determined cyclist:

lol_wut
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

The best way you can hope to keep up with the other riders in terms of racing next year is if you build your leg strength up by seated hills and get used to pain from the hills.
that won't build leg strength
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lol_wut)
I presume he's talking about hill climbing ability rather than actual leg strength. In terms of leg strength, I doubt most cylists are going to be able to match me given that I should be squatting 150-160kg by March.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lol_wut)
I think you will find it does.
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think you will find it does.
To an extent, but not to anywhere near the extent that strength training would. But as I said, it's about the ability to climb hills, for which hill climbing is the obvious way to train. Squatting is great but isn't necessarily going to translate as well into speed on the bike.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I presume he's talking about hill climbing ability rather than actual leg strength. In terms of leg strength, I doubt most cylists are going to be able to match me given that I should be squatting 150-160kg by March.

Yeah I wasn't implying you can start picking the rear end of mini coopers up on weekends and was going for cycling specific strength.

Personal Opinion - choose to ignore if you wish; You really aren't getting the big picture here and it is important you do as this is your first year racing and next year you will have learned how to race and train. Which means you can shift your goals from racing to winning (or attempting to get higher finishes). Considering 2011 will be your last year at Cambridge you should either commit to cycling now or you may regret it.
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Personal Opinion - choose to ignore if you wish; You really aren't getting the big picture here and it is important you do as this is your first year racing and next year you will have learned how to race and train. Which means you can shift your goals from racing to winning (or attempting to get higher finishes). Considering 2011 will be your last year at Cambridge you should either commit to cycling now or you may regret it.
I'm really not sure why exactly you're objecting to just about everything I say. I'm a guy who is reasonably fit already but by no means competetive at a university level who wants to improve his cycling by joining a club and learning from them. I work hard and I'm always ready to take on new ideas about training if I'm given good reasons for them. I've always been interested in a number of sports and although cycling is my priority this year, I also want to compete in an event for which I will only be changing my training very slightly (and in a way which helps all of the other things I like to do during the holidays).

Where is the objection?
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm really not sure why exactly you're objecting to just about everything I say. I'm a guy who is reasonably fit already but by no means competetive at a university level who wants to improve his cycling by joining a club and learning from them. I work hard and I'm always ready to take on new ideas about training if I'm given good reasons for them. I've always been interested in a number of sports and although cycling is my priority this year, I also want to compete in an event for which I will only be changing my training very slightly (and in a way which helps all of the other things I like to do during the holidays).

Where is the objection?
It only seemed like I was objecting to everything you said before because there was confusion as to whether you were going to be training with CUCC or not. I told you to train with them because you would get seriously less fit if you did not and then I told you that you would still be realtively a small amount not as fit anyway because you probably can't keep up with the hours and pace at certain training rides of the winter.

You seem to think I am not keen on you racing. If I had an objection to you racing that I thought was valid I would have to personally see you and the President of the CUCC. I would not be trying to offer you realistic advice and ways to help manage the deficit you will (most likely) expereince in spring [I assume you are aiming for Cambridge 1 st team].

Cycling is going to be time intensive and tiring. You will probably loose some weight from the riding you aare doing. Going to the gym to train for a powerlifting event is going to do a variety of things;
(a) Use up time that you could use to rest or train bike specifically
(b) Increase the risk of injury
(c) Most likely cause burnout

Light gym work is great. Getting some mass on is not desirable.
Chumbaniya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It only seemed like I was objecting to everything you said before because there was confusion as to whether you were going to be training with CUCC or not. I told you to train with them because you would get seriously less fit if you did not and then I told you that you would still be realtively a small amount not as fit anyway because you probably can't keep up with the hours and pace at certain training rides of the winter.
So I'm going to suffer relative to hardened cylists. I would have thought this was fairly obvious. There's not a lot I can do to avoid that given that these guys have years of experience on me and I don't have any sort of natural advantage.

Cycling is going to be time intensive and tiring. You will probably loose some weight from the riding you aare doing. Going to the gym to train for a powerlifting event is going to do a variety of things;
(a) Use up time that you could use to rest or train bike specifically
(b) Increase the risk of injury
(c) Most likely cause burnout

Light gym work is great. Getting some mass on is not desirable.
The likelihood is that I will lose weight, yes, and though I think it would be useful to shed a little bit of fat I know how to eat big when I'm training heavily. Training for strength and training for size are not the same thing even though my strength gains will be worse than if I was gaining size. Since I would be doing one decent weights session for purely cycling training each week, I don't think a second one is too much of an ask if I take something smaller out of the rest of the training schedule (there are only long club rides on Saturday and Sunday). If I was doing the gym work only lightly, that would be a much bigger waste of time because I would see little benefit from it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (190)
39.58%
No - but I will (29)
6.04%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.88%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (228)
47.5%

Watched Threads