No (47)
68.12%
Ramanda
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
????!
Seriously, my dad is a hunter, and I have never seen or heard of anyone who washes the meat before cooking..
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Pop_tart)
lLol i thought it was funny how you said ''finally you're left with wet dripping meat which you then need to dry up'' not really if your pan is hot enough that water will be gone in SECONDS! so you never have to worry about that, water is good if you want some extra gravy on the end!

hope that helped?! :woo:
but if you're using oil on the pan doesn't oil+water = bad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ramanda)
????!
Seriously, my dad is a hunter, and I have never seen or heard of anyone who washes the meat before cooking..
what does he hunt and i think it's one of those things you either do or you don't therefore you either see it or you don't :p:
GemmyMonster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I tend to wash frozen meats and sometimes meat from like tescos if I think it needs it, but fresh meat (from a butchers) I don't.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Of course I do; what's a quick rinse with water going to do? No harm
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I always wash poultry and seafood, but I never wash meat like beef, lamb, pork, or rabbit.
Pop_tart
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
true, if you are using oil on the pan it will give a good sound show lol but even then the water will be gone in seconds.. if the pan is hot that is!

so the bottom line is:
1) hot pan + oil/butter
2) meat out of package and straight in the pan

..and ready steady START COOKING :woo:
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pop_tart)
true, if you are using oil on the pan it will give a good sound show lol
it's more than a sound show, the ****** starts spitting :mad:
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not that bad, to be honest. The meat/seafood won't be drenched, and you're not deep-frying the thing, so the oil is minimal. It's always best to use a non-stick pan and so keep the oil to a minimum (with time you'll learn to judge how much oil to use).
DarkWhite
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've never heard of anyone washing meat before cooking.

If there's anything on the meat that you shouldn't be eating, then you've probably dropped it or you should be returning it to the shop; you shouldn't be eating it, splashed with water or not.

Bacteria is killed off at high temperatures, so providing you cook the meat right through (not just burn the outer), then it should be safe to eat.

As has been said, if you do feel the need to wash it, then do it carefully, and wash down any surrounding surfaces in case you splashed them. If you do it over your sink though, you should be ok.

As always, wash your hands after handling the meat before doing anything else.
Pop_tart
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it's more than a sound show, the ****** starts spitting :mad:
yup the first few seconds that will happen so you got to watch out with that. (hot oil could spit away)
Ramanda
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
what does he hunt and i think it's one of those things you either do or you don't therefore you either see it or you don't :p:
We hunt grouse mostly but also hares and reindeers. I live in North of Norway tho, just sayin.

And yeah, what I meant was that I haven't even heard of people who does that, and I know a lot of people who hunts, so, if it was something that you should do, I would think they of all people would know.. I've also worked part-time as a waitress the last 5 years, and never met a cook or chef, to this day, who has. Meat is clean, probably cleaner than tapped water tbh!! (Besides.. you cook it, so any bacterias will die..)
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Keziah)
No. Partly the reason you said. And also I read/heard somewhere that you shouldn't, because you're more likely to get bacteria over the rest of your kitchen, dripping chicken juices all over your sink, on the taps, on the worktop, etc.
The key is to be constantly washing when you're dealing with chicken. I'm probably a bit over-the-top, but I'll use about six or seven different knifes and give the whole sink a good wash with new sponges and lots of soap and the sponges will then be thrown away.

Actually, that's my biggest fear when in the kitchen - food poisoning from chicken and so on. I blame too many TV adverts about salmonella! :p:
Ramanda
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by .ACS.)
The key is to be constantly washing when you're dealing with chicken. I'm probably a bit over-the-top, but I'll use about six or seven different knifes and give the whole sink a good wash with new sponges and lots of soap and the sponges will then be thrown away.

Actually, that's my biggest fear when in the kitchen - food poisoning from chicken and so on. I blame too many TV adverts about salmonella! :p:
You throw away a bunch of sponges after every time you've dealt with chicken?! Seriously??
wellisntitfor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wash any meat I get, mainly to hopefully remove traces of packaging, string, clothing fibres and pieces of plastic from the butcher's chopping board, and the detergent (and other chems) from the surfaces it has been cut and presented on (I've never seen a butcher or fish-monger rinse the cleaning fluids off their apparatus. So you're definately eating that ****).
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ramanda)
You throw away a bunch of sponges after every time you've dealt with chicken?! Seriously??
It's five sponges for 14p. :p:

It is a bit freaky, it's just I really want the sink to be clean after dealing with poultry. The sink, and everything I've used or that has come in to contact with the raw chicken.
Rep:
?
(Original post by .ACS.)
It's five sponges for 14p. :p:

It is a bit freaky, it's just I really want the sink to be clean after dealing with poultry. The sink, and everything I've used or that has come in to contact with the raw chicken.
lol you must eventually spend a fortune on sponges :p:
Joseph90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've been cooking all of my own meals for a year now. I never wash meats before cooking them. It is likely they have been washed before. The high temperature of the hob, grill or oven kills bacteria if you cook it for long enough. I haven't had food poisoning yet.
Joy Division
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The lethal concoction? :ninja2:

Erm...it will just create steam when you're cooking, which is not desirable for pan frying meat...but for stir frying you want steam.
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MeanMachine)
S to the A to the M to the O to the N to the E to the L to the L to the A
Whoops! :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.62%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (95)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.74%

Watched Threads