Report 9 years ago
I wish.

They'll still be IDing me when I'm 90.
lemily
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I used to do work for trading standards trying to be booze, films, fireworks and lighter gas, whereas my friend who looked younger was asked to try and buy cigarettes (when they were restricted to over 16).

The kids they use to do it are never generally over 14 as they have to look honestly underage otherwise it won't stand up in court.

I got sold alcohol a few times which was a bit frightening considering I was 13 at the time and was wearing denim shorts, and a cartoon T with my hair in plaits. Got a couple of shops shut down because it was not their first offence.

You can spot trading standards stings a mile of though, as there always has to be two children together, and an adult enters the store first, closely followed by the kids. One of the children is wearing a camera which is fitted into a jacket which (in our case) was adult sized and swamped us. They generally ask for stereotypical things such as alcopops, or cheap cigarettes. If the shopkeeper asks you how old you are you had to reply honestly, "13". If they ask you for ID, you had to say, "no sorry" but you didn't have to walk out of the store straight away after that, as some shopkeepers still serve you after that.

Sale or no sale, you then both walk out of the shop to the waiting car. The adult in the shop has witnessed the whole event as they often browse the magazines or sweets. For each store they go in they buy two pieces of confectionary, or magazines. At the end of the day you get a massive bag of sweeties to take home as they cannot pay you in cash. They also take you our for lunch, and dinner if you are still working at 6ish.

It was alright. I did it a few times, but then I couldn't do it anymore because I was getting a little too tall and they don't like to take chances with you looking too old because of the court thing.
clotheshorse
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I bought cigarettes for myself for the first time when I was 16 (I'd been pinching them from my sister beforehand).
My friends have always looked older than me, so when I'm with them at gigs (i.e. all the time), we always get served alcohol without being asked for ID. It's pretty easy to get served alcohol from bars, especially at gigs held in the Carling Academy etc, because it's too dark for the bartenders to see you properly. Standing on my tiptoes always works!
Fuzzpig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lemily)
I used to do work for trading standards trying to be booze, films, fireworks and lighter gas, whereas my friend who looked younger was asked to try and buy cigarettes (when they were restricted to over 16).

The kids they use to do it are never generally over 14 as they have to look honestly underage otherwise it won't stand up in court.

I got sold alcohol a few times which was a bit frightening considering I was 13 at the time and was wearing denim shorts, and a cartoon T with my hair in plaits. Got a couple of shops shut down because it was not their first offence.

You can spot trading standards stings a mile of though, as there always has to be two children together, and an adult enters the store first, closely followed by the kids. One of the children is wearing a camera which is fitted into a jacket which (in our case) was adult sized and swamped us. They generally ask for stereotypical things such as alcopops, or cheap cigarettes. If the shopkeeper asks you how old you are you had to reply honestly, "13". If they ask you for ID, you had to say, "no sorry" but you didn't have to walk out of the store straight away after that, as some shopkeepers still serve you after that.

Sale or no sale, you then both walk out of the shop to the waiting car. The adult in the shop has witnessed the whole event as they often browse the magazines or sweets. For each store they go in they buy two pieces of confectionary, or magazines. At the end of the day you get a massive bag of sweeties to take home as they cannot pay you in cash. They also take you our for lunch, and dinner if you are still working at 6ish.

It was alright. I did it a few times, but then I couldn't do it anymore because I was getting a little too tall and they don't like to take chances with you looking too old because of the court thing.
If you had said 16 (at the time) the consequences for the shop keeper would have still been the same right?
JoeTSR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by s+lky)
i use to be apart of the met voluteer police cadets a few years back.. several time we assisted in catching those who sold kid's drinks underage.. i was pretty successful at it to be honest.. we varied from off licenses, pubs and bars..

i was terrified at doing it the first time.. i felt so guilt about getting them done but at the end of the day they're breaking the law.. simple as..

the worst bit had to be when they, on the rare occasion do as for ID, and you have to do 'the walk of shame' out of the pub with EVERYONE looking at you.. but.. it's a good thing.. if embarrassing.. :yep:

oor actually the other time i got served in the pub and they all decided to come out on the street and start hollering and shouting at us.. that wasn't that nice..

when i was 15 the officers wanted me to buy a knife from a guy who was known to sell knives to underage kids.. at the time you only had to be 16 to purchase one.. that had to be the coolest thing i'd done ! given £50 and told to try and buy the biggest knife possible for the least amount of money.. i went in hooked up to a recorder by myself (unlike the test purchasing for alcohol) and was stuck in there for about 20 mins while the guy tried to get me to buy everything under the sun.. i asked for a knife for D of E ha.. the most you can have on the street i believe is 2.5in (i think.. not sure.. :confused:) and i came out with one similar to one that 'rambo' (and i quote from the police officer) would use.. i was the talk of the station!!!! I had to make a statement and blah blah blah.. but in the end they couldn’t prosecute him as i was too close to being 16.. what’s that about ? at the end of the day i was still underage and therefore illegal..
that is one of many adventures i did with cadets..
Did you get paid? How much? I'd never do that. I wouldn't do it for £10 an hour. I wouldn't care about the person selling finding out, I just think that's really low.
Renner
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
****, booze etc since I was 15. The only time I have been ID'ed was for subway school kids meal deal.
moneyballs2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I went to the Absolute Ice Bar in London when I was 16, wasn't ID'd. Not really tired otherwise, never had the need to, parties happen in people's houses, and the booze is bought by somebody that is 18
Shuvel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

How were you recruited for that exactly? always wondered where they get test buyers from apart from police cadets.

Bought a couple of 18 dvd's while 16 (didn't even notice with one of them actually) did have a couple of days of stubble though if i remember right. Im still pretty short though :/
One time I went into town I was asked for ID by door staff, handed over my 17 year olds provisional, he took the card and kept darting his eyes back and forth from the card to me, really fast, which was weird, I think he was trying to see if I'd get nervous or something, then let me in... :P
Then again the second and third clubs wern't as easy, one of which threatened (but didnt look like they would even if they could be assed) to call the police so I could be charged under the Fraud Act, fun times.
lemily
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by aliluvschoc)
If you had said 16 (at the time) the consequences for the shop keeper would have still been the same right?
I don't know because that's deception so they can use it as a defence in court that you lied to them. Its not a solid defence but they don't want anything to weaken the prosecution.
Fuzzpig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't know because that's deception so they can use it as a defence in court that you lied to them. Its not a solid defence but they don't want anything to weaken the prosecution.
Ah that makes sense. :yep:
lemily
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Shuvel)
How were you recruited for that exactly? always wondered where they get test buyers from apart from police cadets.

Bought a couple of 18 dvd's while 16 (didn't even notice with one of them actually) did have a couple of days of stubble though if i remember right. Im still pretty short though :/
One time I went into town I was asked for ID by door staff, handed over my 17 year olds provisional, he took the card and kept darting his eyes back and forth from the card to me, really fast, which was weird, I think he was trying to see if I'd get nervous or something, then let me in... :P
Then again the second and third clubs wern't as easy, one of which threatened (but didnt look like they would even if they could be assed) to call the police so I could be charged under the Fraud Act, fun times.
They told us about it in school and asked us if we wanted to do it as an extra curricular thing really. I don't know if they offered it to everyone though. I think it was people they thought would be well behaved for the trading standards people as we were obviously indirectly representing the school. My friend wanted to do it too, and we had no obligation to do it more than once if we didn't enjoy it so I though what the hell!
s+lky
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JoeTSR)
Did you get paid? How much? I'd never do that. I wouldn't do it for £10 an hour. I wouldn't care about the person selling finding out, I just think that's really low.

no i didn't get paid.. like a said i was a volunteer police cadet.. what do you mean about the person selling finding out ? :confused: and how is that really low ? catching people who are breaking the law ! ? :rolleyes:
Bagration
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Tbh I got away with buying ciggies underage about 50% of the time, got served in a few pubs, but never bought alcohol from shops because I knew they'd ID me. I think shops are more concerned about selling alcohol to minors than cigs tbf because if they get pissed underage, do some damage, and then it gets traced back to the shop...
s+lky
Report 9 years ago

we had a very similar set up.. not quite the same but we had to look our age, couldn't be X many months of the legal ages.. had to be a certain height..

we had to plain clothed officers inside the pub.. the teenager would walk in with another plain clothes officer.. we had to spot the other two officers in there and go and stand near them so they could witness the sale (if it came to be) i'd order.. if i got served i'd push it to the side and walk out.. inform the uniformed officer wondering about outside who'd then go in and fine the person who sold me the drink an on-the-spot fine and inform the manager..
nolongerhearthemusic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've ordered alcohol at restaurants since I was 15, I've also bought alcohol from a bar underage and with no ID and underage but with another person's ID from bars and pubs. My friend used to buy us alcohol and cigarettes when we were both underage from particular shops we knew would never ID.

My work failed those mystery underage buyer tests at least 3 times while I was there, lolz.
JoeTSR
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by s+lky)
no i didn't get paid.. like a said i was a volunteer police cadet.. what do you mean about the person selling finding out ? :confused: and how is that really low ? catching people who are breaking the law ! ? :rolleyes:
Yeah, I know you did, I just thought there'd at least be some kind of commission for such a horrible job.

And yes, it is a horrible job. For being nice, a poor shop assistant earns a criminal record, their data on the DNA database, and a £2000 fine. All cause some kids wanna play policeman.
EmiiCYBER
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, of course. ^^;

I've been served for cigarettes, alcohol, restricted movies / games and the like since I was about fourteen, without ever being asked to provide ID. Ironically, now I'm eighteen I'm asked to present my ID all of the damn time. :|
s+lky
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JoeTSR)
Yeah, I know you did, I just thought there'd at least be some kind of commission for such a horrible job.

And yes, it is a horrible job. For being nice, a poor shop assistant earns a criminal record, their data on the DNA database, and a £2000 fine. All cause some kids wanna play policeman.
ahh yes.. we should all pity the poor shop assistant who thinks it's acceptable to seel children knives and alcohol.. my mistake.. :rolleyes:

oh and for your information i i'm pretty damn sure they don't take DNA for that.. they certainly didn't when i did it..
JoeTSR
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by s+lky)
ahh yes.. we should all pity the poor shop assistant who thinks it's acceptable to seel children knives and alcohol.. my mistake.. :rolleyes:

oh and for your information i i'm pretty damn sure they don't take DNA for that.. they certainly didn't when i did it..
To be honest, it's either them or someone else. Never said selling knives to kids was ok, just alcohol. Did you ever drink during your teenage years? Tbh, it's a victimless crime, if they want to destroy their brains, they'll find a way how no matter what you do. The shop assistant however, may have the rest of their life ruined by you wanting to have a bit of a giggle.

Pretty sure they take DNA, they do for most things, even if you're aquitted.

P.S. Sounds like you were starting to get a bit tetchy at the end of that post, did I hit a nerve?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads