Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by dreadnaut)
eh better to be safe than sorry?

why not ring up on the non-emergency number for the police and let them know

....i mean you've come this far and made a thread about it
What's the point?
Same as some people on here have said - it's utterly pointless now - man in balaclava at 11pm in park... so what. I did have a look around the area on my way out.
Hope I don't regret it though.
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by foxo)
Actually, I recommend wearing slippers for the purposes of a cheeky rape. They're almost silent (perfect for creeping up on your unsuspecting victim) and give even the most brutal rapes a nice and cosy homely touch.
To be honest, I'd be far more scared if I saw someone in the park at night wearing slippers than if they were wearing a balaclava. The balaclava-wearer probably just wants to go about their own business (legal or otherwise), while the slipper-wearer is probably off-their-rocker and so completely unpredictable.

So, in summary, the OP was right not to call the police for a balaclava. Slippers, on the other hand...
amenhotep
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kolya)
To be honest, I'd be far more scared if I saw someone in the park at night wearing slippers than if they were wearing a balaclava. The balaclava-wearer probably just wants to go about their own business (legal or otherwise), while the slipper-wearer is probably off-their-rocker and so completely unpredictable.

So, in summary, the OP was right not to call the police for a balaclava. Slippers, on the other hand...
My 'is he really too young to be senile' dad does gardening/washes the car in soft furry slippers.

Imagine seeing someone with a pipe and wearing a smoking jacket and slippers in a park at night. It'd be brilliant.
Kolya
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by amenhotep)
What's the point?
Same as some people on here have said - it's utterly pointless now - man in balaclava at 11pm in park... so what. I did have a look around the area on my way out.
Hope I don't regret it though.
Why not go back to the park tomorrow night at the same time? If you see a recurrence of the suspicious activity then you may have more legitimate cause for concern.
amenhotep
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kolya)
Why not go back to the park tomorrow night at the same time? If you see a recurrence of the suspicious activity then you may have more legitimate cause for concern.
I probably will on Thursday. I usually pass through after midnight though, if I'm going from X to Y.

Not going through the park would literally mean walking an extra 1.5 miles.

The park is also relatively well policed (one or two pass through), although that's earlier and on Friday and Saturday nights I think, to deter drinkers and pot smokers.
LH123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I saw a teenager in a shop with a hoody on once. He was blatantly robbing everything.
Joel4fun4u
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Your only mistake is thinking you're a tough guy. It doesn't matter how hard you think you are, as it would be no problem for a lunatic to give you a stabbing.
punktopia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nothing wrong with wearing a balaclava.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
//
Hoda--x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You should of called the police just in case that's what i would of done.
kaka-ayyyyy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i thought you were a girl and walking towards the balaclava man, was gonna say, you fkin stupid and asking to be raped... but naaa dont bother calling police, i'm sure the amount of time they take to get there, he would've already gotten away, or even mugged someone... you know a few years ago, win a park at night, me and my mates would go because it was damnn scaary, but there was a guy that smelt like a sack of onions, like no lie, sooo bad, never smelt something so bad, could smell him from soo far away.. just made me think of that for some reason...
Jarexi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
But, particularly in addition to other factors (park; night; summer), it is suspicious - it would all suggest he was up to something untoward.

It is perfectly within the remit of the police to investigate and monitor suspicious situations whether a crime has occurred or not.

I suppose the OP can take heart in the fact that someone truly dodgy would not be likely to be airing his dodginess so publicly.
I duno about this tbh,. My friend owns a balaclava that he let me wear on d of e...basically to keep warm.

I honestly wouldnt immediately assume hs up to something
A is for Awesome
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Maybe it was Batman

paella
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bloody hell, people aren't stupid. If someone was doing something untoward, they'd probably be the most normal looking person there.
Rooster523
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No. I don't drink at all. Why do you ask? You think it was a hallucination!?

It's not going to be a gun or a sword. A knife on a general member of the public isn't something I fear.

It wasn't courageous to me, nor stupid. Just what I did and would probably do again. I thought he'd run or attack - he did neither. He 'passed' some sort of suspicion test I suppose.

And I couldn't call the police until I left the park (probably 10 minutes to the nearest telephone box). It wasn't urgent enough to scream for someone with a phone or to knock on doors (which also would have been 3 or 4 minutes later).
walking directly at a man in a balaclava to see if he hits doesn't sound stupid to you?

Say he beat the seven bells out of you, would that have confirmed your suspicion? :rolleyes:
MichaelG
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by wintersunset)
wearing a balaclava isn't illegal.
but wearing a balaclava conceals ones identity. concealing your identity is useful should you wish to commit a crime.
enigma373
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would have done nothing. zilch. nada.
xTazx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Balaclavas are so out of fashion.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I didn't go looking for a fight. I walked toward him (walked slightly diagonally on a wide, bending path).
I didn't say I was street smart.
And what the hell do you base you guarantees on? You aren't Argos or John Lewis and this isn't the place.

Ooooh, let's have a fight on the playground of my primary school to prove your point.

I still see what I did as 'best', of course I thought about avoiding the person etc., but I couldn't run away without being seen and I was was wearing boots and had no phone to call the police. Nobody would hear any screams.
I was able to 'weigh up' the person in a way - he just carried on so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.
whilst i refuse to go into the "im harder than you cos im safe behind my computer and can say what the feth i like" argument none the less your argument does have some merit. For the other guy.
If he was up to no good mugger, rapist etc etc then he would have seen that you had collared him and knew he was up to something. More times than you'd think simply being aware that someone is sizing you up for a potential crime is enough to deter any action. Its no good being a mugger if your victim beats the snot out of you. Better to find easier prey. Theres always someone smaller, weaker, drunker, stupider etc than you out there if you get my meaning
Stomm
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kaka-ayyyyy)
you know a few years ago, win a park at night, me and my mates would go because it was damnn scaary, but there was a guy that smelt like a sack of onions, like no lie, sooo bad, never smelt something so bad, could smell him from soo far away.. just made me think of that for some reason...
That would be a tramp then. Not washing for more than a week or two, combined with a fair bit of piss does indeed give your body odour its own physical presence...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (467)
38.06%
No - but I will (95)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (578)
47.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed