My library is threatening me with legal action. Can they? Watch

xTazx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
See if you can negotiate a return of the same books in a similar condition, and Amazon it.
Diminutive
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sounds like what my local library chage - £0.50 a day per book.

I owe my university library like £30 because the books I had out got recalled during exam period.... it was like okay do i hand them in and fail, keep them and have a few fines lol.... or possibly buy the books but that would have been quite a lot more than £30!
MelonFace
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, yes they can, and you brought this upon yourself. If they don't charge for overdue books then you could borrow one indefinitely. The fact that you did eventually hand them back is immaterial.
eliot clare
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Your Mum has a sense of humour
Pandabär
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Your libraries sound very strict! My mum always keeps her novels from the library for weeks after the due date, and usually gets about a 50p fine... If you say 'But I bought it back on time!' and look confused and shocked, they just assume it's thier fault and wipe the debt.

Saying that, all our librarians are about 110 years old, and don't know how to work their own computer system.

Come to Croydon libraries!
TheGimpMan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
the library has powers roughly on par with those of the rozzers, you know.
technically they can detain you and confiscate whatever possessions you have about you in order to auction and cover the incurred costs.
MeanMachine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Pay the fine, but before you hand the money over drench it in bleach or something :teeth:
ieo91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I still have 3 books in my house somewhere which i got out when i was 6. There from 1997 haha. Two are goosebumps (one of which you get to choose your own ending, awesome btw) and one was called The thing in bablock dip haha. I dont even wanna know what the fine will be.
ennC
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You need to move house and change your name
ghanglish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For some reason my local library just randomly cleared my debts. They were only about £3 though. £66 is loads lol but unless you're properly tight for cash just pay and move on. If they're threatening legal action, you can bet they're being bloody serious. It's hassle you probably don't need.
Jelephant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Try to get a job there- I know someone who got work experiece in a library and managed to find his mum's account and clear her fines :p:

*Ahem* But it's your fault yadda yadda yadda pay it up yadda yadda yadda.... what else can you do tbh :dontknow:
Ekpyrotic
Report 9 years ago
Just pay. You don't want to get a bad credit record off the back of something stupid like this.
UGeNe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What legal action can they take that would not cost more than the amount you ''owe" them?

Any decent lawyer would ask for at least 66 pounds per 1-2 hours work.

It's a bluff. Tell them to **** off.
Ekpyrotic
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by UGeNe)
What legal action can they take that would not cost more than the amount you ''owe" them?
They'll sell the account to a debter. The debter would then **** you over.
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yes
getinthevan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When I was packing for Uni I found 2 books that were due in about a year ago, some rubbish chick lit stuff. I think what happened is I handed in the 4 other books I had out at the same time which were 2 weeks overdue, forgetting about those two.. well it was over a year ago now and I haven't had any letters, phone calls or anything. I have a feeling they just assumed I'd handed everything I had back in. Haven't been back to that library since then though :p:
UGeNe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ekpyrotic)
They'll sell the account to a debter. The debter would then **** you over.
Italian debtor? Let the leg-breaking begin. :eek:

On a serious note, I don't think a public library can sell the account for cash upfront.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM! PAY THE FINE OR IT'S OFF TO JAIL.

:security:
Ekpyrotic
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by UGeNe)
I don't think a public library can sell the account for cash upfront.
I don't see why not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads