Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    It appears to me that the muscle isnt actually turning into bone, rather it is destroyed by T-lymphocytes, and the failure to switch of the bodies mechanism of bone formation in the embryonic state.
    Yes, that's about what I knew before looking on the internet! Thus, I conclude that we do not yet know very much about it. Effectively, though, muscle is replaced by bone. The fact that the condition can emerge in the second decade indicates that some weird and wonderful genetic processes are occuring.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Yes, that's about what I knew before looking on the internet! Thus, I conclude that we do not yet know very much about it. Effectively, though, muscle is replaced by bone. The fact that the condition can emerge in the second decade indicates that some weird and wonderful genetic processes are occuring.

Ben
    erm

celebrity here!!

ReputationRep:

Ben

Yes, it is sort of disturbing. It's a shame that the worst diseases tend to be the most rare and so there is usually little done in the way of research and the quest for a cure. Have you heard of Progeria? It is a genetic disease characterised by 'knobbly' cell membranes and rapidly ageing cells, and sufferers have a very short lifespan, yet almost nothing is known about the causes of any potential treatments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Yes, it is sort of disturbing. It's a shame that the worst diseases tend to be the most rare and so there is usually little done in the way of research and the quest for a cure. Have you heard of Progeria? It is a genetic disease characterised by 'knobbly' cell membranes and rapidly ageing cells, and sufferers have a very short lifespan, yet almost nothing is known about the causes of any potential treatments.
    Yes - you read the article in New Scientist also, I see. It is a shame that the whole process is so ruthlessly profit-driven.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    erm

celebrity here!!
    Can I have your autograph? (in the members list perhaps?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Can I have your autograph? (in the members list perhaps?)
    here it is

to infinity all the best from eric bischoff

ReputationRep:
    Congrats eric, you deserve it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Congrats eric, you deserve it
    thank you

ReputationRep:

Ben

I read an article about girl with this; known as 'stonemans' disease, yes? It sounds absolutely horriffic. She was explaining that eventually she would have to choose whether to 'turn to stone' in a sitting or standing position. There are some very courageous people out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    hi fi
    £100 gift vouchers
    dvds
    books
    radio
    wrestling figures

and loads more.

who missed me?
    i missed you, so what are you going to spend it on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i missed you, so what are you going to spend it on
    dont no yet!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.