Will Oxford (or other Unis) appreciate my efforts? :( Watch

This discussion is closed.
watermelon sugar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
give up. and stop making so many excuses! in the real world people don't see your excuses and they don't care.
you have the same grades as me + i also have an a in fine art. sooo to get an idea of what you should be aiming for, in clearing i got places at queen mary and city, both are pretty good unis for maths/physics (i'm going elsewhere though...). oxbridge would think i was taking the piss if i applied this year shoot for good, but not top, unis like queen mary, aston, lancaster, sheffield etc
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Purbasha T)
Oh yeah oh yeah, did that too. Surely I wrote something like that in the 'Extra comments' section, hmmm. And noooo, I was saying that from the history they must've seen when I came to this country for the first time, and the country I come from, normally people of my age don't speak fluent English. But anyways, I get your point.
Yeah but you can't expect outsiders to know that! Lots of people I know seemed to think I was from some random part of India until the tsunami happened and Sri Lanka was all over the news and turned out to clearly be a separate country! You can't presume people know much about your culture. You must always be explicit about these things :yes:

If I were you, I'd go with Turdburger's advice and apply after your retakes/whatever if you get AAA and then get your teacher to explain your circumstances in your reference. You seem dead set on applying now though, so good luck to you
tucker672
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are really good universities besides Oxford and Cambridge.
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
[Umm, okay; I've posted this questions in the Oxford applicants thread; but din't receive any quick reply, which I'm quite desperate about :o:. Sorry if I'm breaking any rules or guidelines]

OK, this is my third year in A levels (you can say gap year). My grades are ABCC respectively in Maths, Physics, F Maths and Chemistry; which I know isn't at all impressive for an Oxford applicant. But if you consider me doing the F. Maths modules all in the 2nd year (which I think as the reason Cambridge got impressed and had asked me for an interview even though I had mere ABB in AS, though I ended up getting rejected :p:), and doing almost 30 modules in total in the 2nd year, including AS retakes for the other subjects, which was a big mess, expectedly, as my results suggest; that's quite good.

So now I'll be doing retakes for F. Maths and Physics and quite sure of getting A's in those (God willing).

But I know that even students with straight A's get rejected, and my grades and situation is very dodgy as well. So to improve my chances, I am intending to do Additional Further Maths (6 more modules) in this one year.

Now the problem is that my exam board AQA doesn't award that third A level in Maths. So even if I end up with 18 Maths modules, I'll still be counted as having had done only 2 A levels :mad: and the best six from the 12 FM modules will be used to determine my FM grade; the other six will just be left alone. :no:

And even though Edexcel awards it, but they wouldn't let me just do AFM, if I don't have M and FM award under their board. :o:

So the only way left for me is to do these six modules (without getting awarded for the third A level). So my question is, would Oxford appreciate my efforts for those six modules? or will they only want to have looks at official awards of A level I receive? I mean are they allowed to ask me for A's in AFM in terms of UMS points, even though AQA wouldn't award a separate A level to me for that?

Any suggestions, please.

What course are you applying to do and why do you want to study in particular at Cambridge?

(sorry if you have answered these but your post is really difficult for me to read and please quote me when answering)
Purbasha T
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Yeah but you can't expect outsiders to know that! Lots of people I know seemed to think I was from some random part of India until the tsunami happened and Sri Lanka was all over the news and turned out to clearly be a separate country! You can't presume people know much about your culture. You must always be explicit about these things :yes:
Hmmm, I understand. I'm from Bangladesh, by the way; and also in some cases pretty much in your situation too about my country.

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
If I were you, I'd go with Turdburger's advice and apply after your retakes/whatever if you get AAA and then get your teacher to explain your circumstances in your reference. You seem dead set on applying now though, so good luck to you
Well, I already wasted one year for some crappy Bridging Science Program in order to get into A levels (coz my college din't accept my qualifications from back home). And now this is the third year of the A levels already. So neaaah, will give it just a shot this time. And I'm not too desparate to get in there anyway. So all cool!
Purbasha T
(Original post by watermelon sugar)
give up. and stop making so many excuses! in the real world people don't see your excuses and they don't care.
you have the same grades as me + i also have an a in fine art. sooo to get an idea of what you should be aiming for, in clearing i got places at queen mary and city, both are pretty good unis for maths/physics (i'm going elsewhere though...). oxbridge would think i was taking the piss if i applied this year shoot for good, but not top, unis like queen mary, aston, lancaster, sheffield etc

(Original post by tucker672)
There are really good universities besides Oxford and Cambridge.
Surely you two didn't bother to go through the whole thread and I don't blame any of you. :p: But no worries, I have other unis in my plan; which I got offers (and even places from) [UCL, King's, QMUL] but declined because I'd be an overseas student until next year and have to pay a lot if I study this year. From next year I'lll be a Home Student, and hopefully will get into one of the other Unis but just trying my luck with Oxford (with what broken weapons I have).
dawgnut
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can cash in Additional Maths for your 13th-18th maths modules in AQA.

PS I had 21 exams in June 2009 alone, and Oxford did not appreciate that. (Probably about 14 in Jan)
Purbasha T
(Original post by Jinru)

PS I had 21 exams in June 2009 alone, and Oxford did not appreciate that. (Probably about 14 in Jan)
THAT IS THE PROBLEM. AQA doesn't award Additional Further Maths and Edexcel won't let me sit if I don't do Maths and F. Maths under them.
SouthernFreerider
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ask yourself WHY you did so badly in your exams in the first 2 years?

p.s. I say "badly", but its not really bad. just not quite the calibre of a top uni.

why not just forget about oxford, concentrate on other top 10/20 unis, get a 1st from there, and then try for the very elite if you really care?
dawgnut
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jinru)

My bad, I'm with Edexcel for Maths lol
Purbasha T
(Original post by riotgrrrl)
What course are you applying to do and why do you want to study in particular at Cambridge?

(sorry if you have answered these but your post is really difficult for me to read and please quote me when answering)
Loool! Was even my title difficult to read? It's Oxford, not Cambridge (if still not clear, :p: joking) and Maths degree. Well, you're asking for the reason; that would be that it's one of the top unis in the world. And anyone definitely wants the best environment to nurture himself in.
pete1111
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
not worth the hassle, consider oxford brookes!!!
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Loool! Was even my title difficult to read? It's Oxford, not Cambridge (if still not clear, :p: joking) and Maths degree. Well, you're asking for the reason; that would be that it's one of the top unis in the world. And anyone definitely wants the best environment to nurture himself in.
damn sorry I meant Oxford, I'm dyslexic, so wrote cambridge haha! Oh thats also why its difficult to read, I don't know what it is, maybe sentence structure but I just can't read it properly! Weird.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is if it's because its one of the best institutions then you properly don't have too much of a hope if you have messed up, if it was a particular module out of a course, for example I wanted to go to lancaster for the music therapy enterprise unit, then you tend to have a real drive in a particular subject area which will shine through even if your grades don't. I normally say everyone has a chance... but maybe a different uni would be better suited and would still nurture?
dawgnut
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So apart from these core academic grades, what else do you have?

STEP?
Mathematics olympiad?
Work experience?
jackmb
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well enthusiasm counts for something, if you show it on your personal statment and at interview. Unfortunately the grades count for a lot more. Best of luck though!
Purbasha T
(Original post by Jinru)
So apart from these core academic grades, what else do you have?

STEP?
Mathematics olympiad?
Work experience?
Yep, Mathematical Olympiad. But that wouldn't count I think. It was the divisional olympaids I participated in. But never went to participate in the National ones as the capital was faaar away from where I used to live. (It's Bangladesh I'm talking about by the way)

STEP I haven't done. But might do if any of the unis asks.
Purbasha T
Lool, c'mooooooooon guys. Have you ever heard of people applying just to ONLY ONE uni? Nooo, I surely will have my other options. UCAS allows to have FIVE options to apply to (and I'm sure all of you know that) and therefore, surely I'll have other options. So please stop telling me to have other unis as options, because I will have even if I don't want to. Coz that's how UCAS is, loool!
Oooops, oh okay. If you don't live in UK, then the post above is not for you (coz I assume you havn't heard of UCAS in that case :p:).
dawgnut
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep, Mathematical Olympiad. But that wouldn't count I think. It was the divisional olympaids I participated in. But could never participate in the National ones as the capital was faaar away from where I used to live. (It's Bangladesh I'm talking about by the way)

STEP I haven't done. But might do if any of the unis asks.
Well be honest with your self, do a STEP II and STEP III paper.
If you can't get 1,2 atleast then I seriously doubt you have any chance at Oxford. I think Cambridge would had appreciated your effort much more.

Mathematics is probably the most competitive course (After E&M and Medcine I think)

(and don't look at answers and think "oh I know that!")
SixthFormer08
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teebs)
As someone who did further maths I can assure you that is the case. It's the only way it fits with 6th form length.
Jan Year 1 - AS maths.
June Year 1 - A2 maths.
Jan Year 2 - AS F. maths
June Year 2 -A2 F. maths

Even if people don't actually write the papers on those dates, that's basically the pattern of tuition.
It's not the ONLY way. Our school runs further maths and maths parallel and as two separate subjects.

For example, you can do C1, C2, M1 for Maths AS and D1, D2, FP1 for Further AS, then the next year, C3, C4, S1, while doing M2, FP2 and M3 for Further. It works out fine.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep yep, I do have plan B. Can't just be fantasizing about Oxford all the time. I got a wide range. I had offers from UCL (AAA), King's (ABB) and QMUL (BBC, lol). Even got a place in QMUL and also King's too I'd, had I not declined their offer intially (coz UCL was my firm choice), but din't go coz I'll be an international student until nxt year and have to pay a lot of money. Probably will apply to the same ones again.
Umm, right then, you're saying they might ask anything they want. Hmm.
But you missed all of those offers. You can't count on them all giving you offers again, because your application would have looked much stronger on paper this time last year.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (414)
37.81%
No - but I will (83)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (75)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (523)
47.76%

Watched Threads