Is psychology a good degree Watch

DetectivePeralta
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by johntee2)
It is certainly better respected than English and History, as it is a STEM subject. Bear in mind at degree level it is extremely rigorous; there is a lot of neuroscience, a lot of statistics and a large workload (if you do a BPS clinically accredited course at a good university). Post graduate places for clinical are highly competitive, but if you enjoy the subject matter go for it! The brain is a fascinating thing! I do neuroscience so I am of course slightly biased. There are easier sciences (like biology) but if you're willing to put the work in, psychology can really open up careers for you in the clinical/medical/forensic field! I sometimes wish I'd done it instead of neuroscience, although I'm glad not to have the sheer amount of coursework and labs they do haha.
English and History are just as well respected as a psychology degree, considering that they are far more traditional and known to attract studious and intelligent people, especially at the top universities.
Psychology & me
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have three degrees in psychology but have struggled to get work. To give things some perspective, in the time I studied psychology I could have had degrees in physiotherapy, occupational therapy and a fast track social work degree (three career choices). It's only my opinion but I feel that any of these degrees would have provided more career opportunities.
iodo345
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Psychology & me)
I have three degrees in psychology but have struggled to get work. To give things some perspective, in the time I studied psychology I could have had degrees in physiotherapy, occupational therapy and a fast track social work degree (three career choices). It's only my opinion but I feel that any of these degrees would have provided more career opportunities.
Does that mean you have a PHD or Masters?

May I ask what you have been doing/were you in non grad roles despite your degrees in psychology?
ItIsHel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If your Psychology is BPS accredited then of course it’s well respected.

Personally, it’s all relative.

Do you enjoy the subject?
Do you need the subject for your career?
Psychology & me
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have a PhD in psychology. I have had to move around for work but it's difficult making a life when working on contracts. I need to be at home now for reasons I can't go into. Over the years, I have applied for many, many jobs but my impression is I'm deemed overqualified by many and I struggle to get work in Universities.

If I had my time over again I would study a different subject and read psychology as a hobby.

Having a PhD in psychology entitles an individual to Chartered Membership of the BPS.

However, the regulator of psychology is the HCPC and I think they manage the register of approved education and training programmes . See
http://www.hcpc-uk.org/education/programmes/register/

I enjoyed my MSc. I planned to have a career in psychology but, in my opinion, there are limited opportunities.

In my opinion, is studying psychology a good investment in terms of time and money? No.
iodo345
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Psychology & me)
I have a PhD in psychology. I have had to move around for work but it's difficult making a life when working on contracts. I need to be at home now for reasons I can't go into. Over the years, I have applied for many, many jobs but my impression is I'm deemed overqualified by many and I struggle to get work in Universities.

If I had my time over again I would study a different subject and read psychology as a hobby.

Having a PhD in psychology entitles an individual to Chartered Membership of the BPS.

However, the regulator of psychology is the HCPC and I think they manage the register of approved education and training programmes . See
http://www.hcpc-uk.org/education/programmes/register/

I enjoyed my MSc. I planned to have a career in psychology but, in my opinion, there are limited opportunities.

In my opinion, is studying psychology a good investment in terms of time and money? No.
I am in second year psychology definitely not considering post graduate and I am unlikely to get above a 2.2. I will probably end up in a retail position or something.

Do you find that non graduate employers look unfavourably on your level of education?

Any advice would be appreciated as I hate the course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads