Who else bought a new mac.. and hates it?! Watch

thomasp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rainbowbex)
have downloaded msn, not having any mouse problems. just sending stuff to the trash problems. can't just hit "delete" have to keep going to options "send to trash" driving me crazy, esp when i want to do a quick flick thru photos and delete the rubbish ones.

thank you for the offer of help
Shortcut for sending stuff to the trash:

Cmd (the key just to the left & right of the spacebar) + Backspace

The "Command" (or "Apple" or "Cmd") key is Mac's equivalent of Windows' "Control" key.
rainbowbex
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by thomasp)
Shortcut for sending stuff to the trash:

Cmd (the key just to the left & right of the spacebar) + Backspace

The "Command" (or "Apple" or "Cmd") key is Mac's equivalent of Windows' "Control" key.
OOoooh Cheers... I'll probs start to like it better when i get a better idea of how to use everything
rainbowbex
(Original post by panglossian)
It annoys me that there aren't any tabs at the bottom of the window. I don't really need to have all the applications sitting out at once, even though it looks pretty.

I think the fact that it looks pretty is probably what makes me forgive it for when it does things I don't like/understand. Omg, the mac is like a man.

Yes this!! this exactly annoys me.

and Rofl you are sooo right... hehe
un4given
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
have downloaded msn, not having any mouse problems. just sending stuff to the trash problems. can't just hit "delete" have to keep going to options "send to trash" driving me crazy, esp when i want to do a quick flick thru photos and delete the rubbish ones.

to delete stuff without dragging it to the trash just press cmd and backspace.

also you can press cmd and click on files (like photos) and that will select the files you click on, then hit cmd backspace to delete them. making photo culling easy-er.
rainbowbex
(Original post by un4given)
to delete stuff without dragging it to the trash just press cmd and backspace.

also you can press cmd and click on files (like photos) and that will select the files you click on, then hit cmd backspace to delete them. making photo culling easy-er.

Thanks
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This why I like dual booting vista and Linux, you can guarantee compatibility will never be an issue.

I don't like the fact that getting games to run on macs is a pain in the arse at times, I like to plug and play or so speak. Getting Oblivion to run took forever and a year, couldn't be bothered with that again hence why on my current computer I dual boot vista/linux

Newer macs on intel chips can run windows, look into dual booting.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
After having my white Macbook a year I today fired up bootcamp and installed XP. I have to say, even with Apple drivers installed so I still get two finger scroll and the like I still find the OS clunky and annoying. Currently speaking from Windows, which I now use for trouble free webcam use (gave up on OS X side of things) and gaming, but for everything else I will be using OS X including the majority of instant messaging. Only takes seconds to boot from Mac to Windows so it's not that inconvenient.

With Macs it just takes time to get used to the keyboard shortcuts. You will use them a whole lot more than you will with a PC. I'm still learning new shortcuts a year after buying mine and I spend an insane amount of time on it every day.
divinelord
Badges: 10
Report 9 years ago
Ok, from reading some posts i get the impression that you are ignorant and dont want ot learn the "way of the mac". You cant expect everything to work like windows if you change operating systems

So i guide you here:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Beginner%27s_Guide

http://www.apple.com/mac/ [scroll down and watch the videos]

Install an application called 'quicksilver' and witness it optimise your whole work ethic
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Maccountant)
I think it's rare to find a brand so perfect nowadays. The customer service is amazing which adds to the enjoyment of a mac. I don't use my computer for complex stuff, just office, listening to music and browsing the internet. Perhaps that's why I haven't found anything wrong with it..
I think the quality of their products leaves a lot to be desired, the case of my macbook cracked, which is caused by a design flaw on the lid, and the charger couldn't be shoddier quality<- sometimes it doesn't work for a whole day, the wires are coming away from it, and it now overheats - hot enough to cook an egg (again, known design flaws, and it costs £60 to replace the charger!). I've only had it a year too - I've never had any product in my life with so many defects! I still like my macbook, but I'm not going to make excuses for Apple, it is poorly made/designed.

I personally cannot see what is so perfect about Apple that makes them better than Dell or Microsoft or any other computer brand, apart from the fact that they can make pretty looking devices/software/websites. That's the one thing I really don't get, that Apple has this kind of cult following that say that Apple can do absolutely no wrong.
AndrewFromTheNorth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tefhel)
I think the quality of their products leaves a lot to be desired, the case of my macbook cracked, which is caused by a design flaw on the lid, and the charger couldn't be shoddier quality<- sometimes it doesn't work for a whole day, the wires are coming away from it, and it now overheats - hot enough to cook an egg (again, known design flaws, and it costs £60 to replace the charger!). I've only had it a year too - I've never had any product in my life with so many defects! I still like my macbook, but I'm not going to make excuses for Apple, it is poorly made/designed.

I personally cannot see what is so perfect about Apple that makes them better than Dell or Microsoft or any other computer brand, apart from the fact that they can make pretty looking devices/software/websites. That's the one thing I really don't get, that Apple has this kind of cult following that say that Apple can do absolutely no wrong.
I agree with this. And their 'amazing customer service' too. Surely if it was amazing they would've fixed those problems for you for free since it's a defect with their product? I've luckily never had problems with my macbook pro but my ipod touch's audio jack stopped working after a few months and it's the one which doesn't have a built in speaker. Apple wanted over £100 to fix it. I gave them coordinates to where they can shove that.

MSN is the main problem with macs. At first, I didn't understand how anybody who's a big msn user could call it amazing and perfect when msn is rubbish. Then i found Adium. Adium is totally (and really easily) customisable, it's got a great interface and i love it. And it sends files better than the windows one does (no more scanning sent files for virus'!). The only thing it doesn't have which i used is webcam. To fix that problem, i use the ugly but webcam-able aMSN when i want to go on webcam to people or when people want to go on webcam to me. So i'dsuggest both of these. I tried the Messenger for mac at first, hated it and quickly got shot of it.

I hope it works out for you.
birdieb
Report 9 years ago
cmd+space type terminal

then type cat /usr/share/misc/flowers

and hit enter.

and then just stop looking for reasons not to like it. Several people told you how to delete using backspace, and its only because the macbook doesn't have a full keyboard that you dont have it!
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AndrewFromTheNorth)
I agree with this. And their 'amazing customer service' too. Surely if it was amazing they would've fixed those problems for you for free since it's a defect with their product? I've luckily never had problems with my macbook pro but my ipod touch's audio jack stopped working after a few months and it's the one which doesn't have a built in speaker. Apple wanted over £100 to fix it. I gave them coordinates to where they can shove that.
Yeah they should spend a little less money on all this "genius bar" crap, and actually spend it on fixing flaws with their products - their stuff certainly costs enough and then some (£60 for a dodgy charger?!). With any other brand it doesn't matter what the customer service is like because you never ever have to come into contact with them, because the products actually work without needing a replacement. I have no idea what Microsoft or Hewlett-Packard's (or in fact any other manufacturer of any other product, electrical or otherwise) customer service is like because I have never had any cause to contact them!

And yeah the MSN thing pissed me off too, I get why Microsoft wouldn't bother making MSN good for Apple, but why don't Apple make any alternatives and we have to use the lame aMSN?
birdieb
Report 9 years ago
Because why would Apple make a service to use a rivals protocol?

Anyway chargers get hot all the time not sure what your problem is?

My macbook is 2 years old and the only problem I have had is the cracked palm rest, I took it to the genius bar and in 2 hours it was fixed free of charge out of warranty. To me that is good customer service.
donks169
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

You can drag stuff to the trash can on the dock to delete things (which is what I do), and you can also eject devices by doing the same! If you need to run windows for anything PM me and I'll tell you how to do it without boot camp.
Murray Hewitt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Finding the user interface really irritating, does anyone else?!

EDIT: had it about 2 weeks.

EDIT 2: Thanks for all the helpful responses... am feeling much less frustrated with the machine now, maybe I will grow to love it one day, just years of XP to over come!
Once you get used to it its much neater, just as easy and much more reliable than using XP
rainbowbex
(Original post by donks169)
You can drag stuff to the trash can on the dock to delete things (which is what I do), and you can also eject devices by doing the same! If you need to run windows for anything PM me and I'll tell you how to do it without boot camp.
Cheers, I don't think i'll need bootcamp. besides don't have a copy of xp.
rainbowbex
(Original post by divinelord)
Ok, from reading some posts i get the impression that you are ignorant and dont want ot learn the "way of the mac". You cant expect everything to work like windows if you change operating systems

So i guide you here:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Beginner%27s_Guide

http://www.apple.com/mac/ [scroll down and watch the videos]

Install an application called 'quicksilver' and witness it optimise your whole work ethic
that is a little rude, but then I wouldn't expect you to have witnessed me begging advice from my mother now would I? :rolleyes:

I just don't like the way somethings work is all. some of the things that have been annoying me have been fixed by previous posters.

I didn't expect it to work like windows... I expected it to work full stop.

Ta for the link will check it out if I get stuck again and the many people i've been begging advice off can't help me.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
that is a little rude, but then I wouldn't expect you to have witnessed me begging advice from my mother now would I? :rolleyes:

I just don't like the way somethings work is all. some of the things that have been annoying me have been fixed by previous posters.

I didn't expect it to work like windows... I expected it to work full stop.

Ta for the link will check it out if I get stuck again and the many people i've been begging advice off can't help me.
It does work, you just don't know how to make it work yet :p:
Moronic Acid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow - you must really be a die-hard Microsoft fan :p:

I got completely used to my macbook after about an hour of using it - after a few weeks I can't imagine going back to XP
rainbowbex
(Original post by Nuffles)
It does work, you just don't know how to make it work yet :p:
Shhhh (yes I know this is an issue) and don't reallly hate my macbook.. i love having my own computer (have shared until now :/) Just when your tired, ill and stressed out... everything seems much worse!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (100)
40.32%
No - but I will (12)
4.84%
No - I don't want to (16)
6.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (120)
48.39%

Watched Threads