Undergraduate ABS students Watch

gillipies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FM08)
also i would like to ask, I've yet to see it elsewhere but can you change your password which aston provided with your email? i'm struggling to remember it. ta
No you can't change it. Believe me though, you will type it enough times to remember it very quickly!!
tomtom:)
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by FireDeuce)
And a lot of people fail it

(Original post by gillipies)
No you can't change it. Believe me though, you will type it enough times to remember it very quickly!!
Mines engraved itself into my memory already!
Rep:
?
Looks like our Microeconomics groups are up too now, group 6
Nick_S
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Gamer99)
Even the title scares me...

Quanatitititantiaittitititititiv e Techniques.
It's just a flowery word for numbers, akin to Qualitative for words.

Although it's often synonymous with statistics.

It aint gonna be asking us to find the mean, mode median and all that jazz is it? lol
Gamer99
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nick_S)
It's just a flowery word for numbers, akin to Qualitative for words.
So it's really just Number Techniques then? That sounds a lot less scary.
Rep:
?
Week 1: Algebraic rules and notation. Linear equations.
2: Quadratic equations, plotting and using graphs.
3: Simultaneous linear equations.
..5: Logarithms and exponential functions
Nick_S
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Gamer99)
So it's really just Number Techniques then? That sounds a lot less scary.
Well I'm no expert, as I'm in the same boat as you but I know that Quantitative is just a lofty way of saying numbers.

http://www.answers.com/quantitative

I'm sure it will be demanding but can't be impossible.

In sociology for example we've studied the advantages and disadvantages of Quantitative and Qualitative data, and even done a piece of research on the thing. Not to mention I retook GCSE maths in year 12 and got an A from a C, so I might have slightly less ring rust than you!

In business studies in A2 particularly we've touched upon things such as market research and the only key words I can remember are things such as; Correlation, Anomaly, moving averages (3/4 points) Break even charts, decision trees. There's undoubtedly a few more I've missed.

I wouldn't worry about it anyway, we're all practically in the same position and I probably have misplaced confidence anyway!
Nick_S
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A few useful links;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_statistics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_statistics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_research

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantit...eting_research
Haya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tomtom:))
Looks like our Microeconomics groups are up too now, group 6
Ummm.. is it just me or is anyone else missing the Microeconomics module (therefore no group as well)? I can just see my group in Introduction to Financial Accounting.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Haya)
Ummm.. is it just me or is anyone else missing the Microeconomics module (therefore no group as well)? I can just see my group in Introduction to Financial Accounting.
What's your course?
Haya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tomtom:))
What's your course?
International Business and Management, so I believe I should have it?!
ChrisBarnes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hi there. im doing business and management, have signed into MAP and email system and have found nothing whatsoever related to reading lists and/or maths tests or anything like that. should i be worried?
Nick_S
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ChrisBarnes)
hi there. im doing business and management, have signed into MAP and email system and have found nothing whatsoever related to reading lists and/or maths tests or anything like that. should i be worried?
Aston email account.

Spam folder.
ChrisBarnes
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah just checked that as well, nothing in there. ive sent an email to the business school asking them politely what the hell is going on, and hopefully that will clarify things. cheers though
Haya
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ChrisBarnes)
You can also find that maths test on Blackboard. The link for that should be on MAP. Didn't you receive an e-mail with the reading list at the end of July/beginning of August already?!
Gamer99
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Haya)
You can also find that maths test on Blackboard. The link for that should be on MAP. Didn't you receive an e-mail with the reading list at the end of July/beginning of August already?!
That's not the final reading list and we were advised not to buy any books until our first few lectures so we know what ones to get or not.
FM08
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
must admit all i can remember of maths is the basic basic stuff, that listing doesn't look promising.
fightoffyourdemons
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Nick_S)
It aint gonna be asking us to find the mean, mode median and all that jazz is it? lol
Basically yes. QT is mostly GCSE level maths, very easy, and BDA in the second term is probably more A-Level standard, and more statistics. But it's taught very well, the exams are open book and in the same format every year (so you can basically take last years exam paper and answers in and just adjust the figures for your paper).
A_902k9
Report 9 years ago
nonononooooo not maths already!!

any new students purchased any books yet for the first modules???
Rep:
?
I've got my books (Y)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads