How many hours of lectures/seminars do you have per week? Watch

SkinnyKat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I study Biological Sciences and have on average, 18 hours per week. 6 hours of labs, 9 hours of lectures and 3 hours of seminars. I didn't think this was so bad until i learnt the history students get 4 day weekends - they have mondays and fridays off

Now I think 18 hours + private study sucks. I have 6 contact hours on fridays and this is the same as some courses have in a whole week.
Corrosive Blossom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
4 Lectures and 3 Seminars.
ElfManiac
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I do History and French at Southampton, I have eight hours a week this semester but we are expected to do a lot of self-directed study.
I have two lectures and one seminar for history, three hours of language classes and a lecture and a seminar for my linguistics module, spread over four days. I find plenty to do the rest of the week though, and a lot of the course depends on us practising our independent research and study skills.
Slender Loris
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have a four day weekend \o/
s+lky
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
i've eight..

one lecture and one seminar for each of my modules.. oh and we've a compulsory lecture for all humanty students of which i missed this week as i misread the time..

they told us to think of it as '9-5 job' which i suppose is fair enough.. if you wanna do well you gotta put the hours in.. i'm expected not only to do the bare minimum amount of reading but also read around my subjects but given the nature of them it's expected..
sarahlousie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have 16 hours a week and I have a friend that only has 5!!!
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
8 hours but I also should be reading tons - something which I need to do soon before I get left behind! But here I am on TSR arggggg
hardcoretophat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have 12 hours a week this term, 3 hours of which are workshops. We don't get seminars till next term so it'll probably increase after christmas.
affinity89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My timetable is very strange this year so no two weeks are the same.

At most I have 4 seminars [one for each course] plus 7 lectures [2 for three of my courses and 1 for the other]. The minimum I have though is 2 seminars [2 of my courses have seminars less than once a week] and 6 lectures [one of my lectures is fortnightly not weekly]. All 50 minutes [although far too many go on for the full hour lol] in length.
Billboy05
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by gem_19)
I was discussing on another thread how I only had 8 hours of lectures and seminars per week and got accused of attending a "Mickey Mouse" university(which in all fairness, I am!). I thought this was the norm, as some of my friends have a similar amount of hours however the poster continued by stating that their friend has 20 hours a week at uni!

Anyone else out there have much longer hours at university? It seems completely unfair that we're paying an equal amount in tuition fees yet some are getting hell of a lot more tuition than others.
Altogether with lectures, labs and tutorials. I have 23 Hours per week.

Aeronautical Engineering is not a skyve. Its a 5 year sentance.

15 hours lectures
8 hours lab/tut

Infact I actually want to show you what a FIRST YEAR has to do:

MONDAY- 9-10 Maths , 11-1 Lab/tut, 3-4 electronics
TUESDAY-9-10 Maths , 10-11 MatLab, 11-1 Lab/tut, 3-4 Aero eng
WEDNESDAY-9-10 Maths, 11-1 Lab/tut
THURSDAY-9-10 Maths, 10-11 Aero eng, 11-1 Thermo & Fluid, 2-3 Electronics
Friday-9-10 Maths, 10-11 engineering, 11-1 Lab/tut, 2-4 Thermo & Fluid

Now that is one F'd up timetable. Although I suppose that means less self study?

I hope so. Because Im shattered every day!
halfoflessthan50p
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Billboy05)
Altogether with lectures, labs and tutorials. I have 23 Hours per week.

Aeronautical Engineering is not a skyve. Its a 5 year sentance.

15 hours lectures
8 hours lab/tut

Infact I actually want to show you what a FIRST YEAR has to do:

MONDAY- 9-10 Maths , 11-1 Lab/tut, 3-4 electronics
TUESDAY-9-10 Maths , 10-11 MatLab, 11-1 Lab/tut, 3-4 Aero eng
WEDNESDAY-9-10 Maths, 11-1 Lab/tut
THURSDAY-9-10 Maths, 10-11 Aero eng, 11-1 Thermo & Fluid, 2-3 Electronics
Friday-9-10 Maths, 10-11 engineering, 11-1 Lab/tut, 2-4 Thermo & Fluid

Now that is one F'd up timetable. Although I suppose that means less self study?

I hope so. Because Im shattered every day!
God thats almost like a normal 9 to 5 job!!

sophie_c
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wowww...you guys are lucky!

25 hours a week... :o:

Mon 11-12 Zoology, 12-1 Evolutionary Biology, 1-2 French
Tues 11-12 Zoology, 12-1 Evolutionary, 1-2 French, 2-5 Zoology lab
Wed 11-12 Zoology, 12-1 Evolutionary
Thurs 11-12 Zoology, 12-1 Evolutionary, 1-2 French, 2-5 Skills for Biologists lab
Fri 11-12 Zoology, 12-1 Evolutionary, 1-2 French, 2-5 Evolutionary lab

Plus as french are tutorials I have work for every class which usually takes at least 3 hours to complete

... and a Zoology and an Evolutionary tutorial of which the times change weekly...

Am hating the 6 hour blocks 3 times a week without any time to have lunch....

Then I do rowing (2 circuit training a week, 5 weight training/gym sessions a week, 1 run a week, 2 ergs a week, 1-3 water sessions a week) and hockey (1 training a week, 2 matches a week), and Sustainable Development Soc once a week.

...I really am not going to have a life this year....

screenager2004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm a first year Sociology student at Warwick, I have 10.5 Hours a week. However these are all squeezed into 3 days I am literally so chuffed with the way that has worked out
Clarkkent
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SkinnyKat)
I study Biological Sciences and have on average, 18 hours per week. 6 hours of labs, 9 hours of lectures and 3 hours of seminars. I didn't think this was so bad until i learnt the history students get 4 day weekends - they have mondays and fridays off

Now I think 18 hours + private study sucks. I have 6 contact hours on fridays and this is the same as some courses have in a whole week.
U would think this is bad???, i am studying a science & have 21 hours lectures only (each lecture is 3hrs long ), plus 3 hour lab each week. i have to commute to uni 5 days a week, all lectures startin at 9am:mad:..............im beatin myself why i put myself in this mess:bawling: ..........then again i would be bore doing somethin like History.........just the look of old textbooks would put me off (no offense)

Do you feel better now
crackerbox
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I study Medicine year 1 (but at Peninsula so they're totally into self directed learning)
week 1- 11 hours
week 2- 17 hours
But on top of that I'm expected to do 15-20 hours myself; which you actually do need to do or you'll fall majorly behind. Actually I should be studying right now...
deleted
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
12 hours in two days, so three days free a week. But I start placement in January so will be doing two days of lectures and three days on placement!
blueshoes123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
6 hours lectures, 5 hours tutorials.
Apocalypte
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
15 hours a week, all of that is lectures. Probably 30+ hours of work that has to be done outside of that, added to 2.5 hours a day of commuting.
raspberryjam
Report 9 years ago
12 hours of lectures, 4 hours problem classes, 2 hours of tutorials, plus am expected to do 20 hours of private study.
Lenguini
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have 10 hours of contact this week, (some in labs, some lectures and a work shop) pluss an optional work shop I'll be going to. Next week it's 13 hours, but my hours vary hugely over the weeks. I believe one week in the first term I only have 8 hours contact as my wednesday that week seems to have gone away. o.o

But as of yet I have NO idea how much private study I'm supposed to be doing, especially as I'm a first year and don't start until tomorrow.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (207)
40.19%
No - but I will (31)
6.02%
No - I don't want to (35)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (242)
46.99%

Watched Threads