Turn on thread page Beta

Do you ever throw random bits of other languages into your speech watch

ReputationRep:
    Ja!

A bit of German always goes down well.

ReputationRep:
    if with family, it will go from swahili, to english, to bits of luo, and then i add some of my high school french. its fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skinnylinny)
    Yeah, although often I find I can't remember the English word for something (yes, English is my first language), I remember asking my stepdad where he kept the Schneidelineal (German for guillotine-paper-cutter-thing) in the office, because I honestly couldn't remember what is was called in English. I've also been known to drop in Italian, French, Latin and Esperanto into conversations unintentionally (or, sometimes, intentionally to annoy someone)

Ĝis la revido
    I do that too, for some strange reason there are some things i only know their names in luo and i can't figure out the enlish names.

ReputationRep:
    hmm i would try not to, which usually isnt that hard since i am fluent in english :p:

especially since it seems rude if not everyone there understands that language...

ReputationRep:
    I always add in Spanish

Bolso Blanco LOL

Quiero dormir pero no puedo porque hay un fly en mi dormitorio !

Then someone will say someone will be like what?

Then I have to say it in full english.

"I want to sleep but I can't because there is a fly in my room"

lool

ReputationRep:
    Si :wink2: only a word/phrase or two here and there though.

My friend who's bilingual will have convos with her 'rents on the phone in literally half English and half...Urdu I think, it's the most amazing thing to listen to, just the effortless switch back and forth.

ReputationRep:
    Ja, manchmal spreche ich Deutsch aber wenn ich Deutsch spreche, spreek ik Nederlands -dat vind ik raar. But they are similar languages so...

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I'm generally not that pretentious. :angelblush:

ReputationRep:
    I speak some French, and I do that ALL the time! Especially in notes to myself... sometimes I just write them in French cause it's easier.

When I'm speaking to my parents I speak a mix of English and tamil. Usually I use English for words that I don't know in Tamil

ReputationRep:
    No, because i'm 100% English and not retarded.

ReputationRep:
    I say 'oui' a lot... but thats it, I dont know any other languages lol :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah mainly German

Sometimes I will say "Danke" to my gran and shes like WTF? LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Yeah, I'm always going 'yalla' to people, it's the best word in the World (short and sweet, means: hurry up, come on, quickly...)

And I call loads of people Habibi.
    Is your native language Arabic then?

But on topic, I speak English and my native language fluently but never make the mistake of switching between the two. I think I've only done it once or twice where I've said yes in my native language instead of saying it in English.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Yeah, I'm always going 'yalla' to people, it's the best word in the World (short and sweet, means: hurry up, come on, quickly...)

And I call loads of people Habibi.
    I prefer it when the word Habibi is reserved for girlfriend/boyfriend/partner. Anyone else and it's a bit weird and it dilutes the importance of it. If someone calls you and only you Habibi it makes them feel a lot better than if you're brandishing it about willy nilly.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're foreign or actually speak the language properly, throwing in foreign languages just makes you look like a prick. So many of my friends think it makes them sound clever to throw bits of French to their speech or whatever, when they don't know more than about six words.

ReputationRep:
    Denglish ftw

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, when I can't think of a word in one language I just say it in another.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.