Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think about people who claim that Labour and the Tories are no different? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What do you think?
    I agree with those who claim that there isn't much difference between the two
    55.88%
    People who claim that the two are practically the same are ignorant
    42.65%
    Don't know
    1.47%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I think they're well thick.
    x2 You only need to hear the debates in parliament to know the differences between their attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    No, I dont think so. Do you think the Conservatives would have allowed the devolved assemblies to formulate in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales giving them limited powers of self-government? Do you think the Conseratives would have signed the Social Chapter, implementing the Minimum Wage? Because they certainly opposed it initially. Do you think the Conservatives would have ever supported electoral reform and introduced the Single Transferable Vote System/Supplementary Vote/Additional Member System? Do you think they would have abolished hereditary peers in the House of Lords?

There are, in fact, numerous significant diffferences between the two parties.
    This was in 1997. I don't the see point here.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, average viewers will tend to notice that Labour and the Tories are no different when presenting their policies. But it is when the Tories are put into power that a big change will occur. Both parties are tackling the deficit in the same manner. Both parties agree on the current Afganistan policy. Both parties want to deal with the expenses simiarly.

At least the liberals are different! (although Clegg is awful)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    This was in 1997. I don't the see point here.
    What have dates got to do with anything? It was still New Labour.

ReputationRep:
    But this was the past. As things have stood since Hague was leader, the Tories have adopted and agreed with many Labour policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    No, I dont think so. Do you think the Conservatives would have allowed the devolved assemblies to formulate in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales giving them limited powers of self-government? Do you think the Conseratives would have signed the Social Chapter, implementing the Minimum Wage? Because they certainly opposed it initially. Do you think the Conservatives would have ever supported electoral reform and introduced the Single Transferable Vote System/Supplementary Vote/Additional Member System? Do you think they would have abolished hereditary peers in the House of Lords?

There are, in fact, numerous significant diffferences between the two parties.
    Aye, Labour have certainly ballsed up over the years.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is that both Labour and the Tories have evolved in a big way in recent years - and the centre ground has changed big time with it.

In the mid-1990s the reaction of the general public to an article in the Daily Mail about a recently deceased gay pop star would not have received anywhere near the reaction it did today - with or without the internet. (Remember that these were the years when there were no civil partnerships, ministers were almost "expected" to resign if they were "outted" - and finally people were still getting kicked out of the military for being gay.

Professor Colin Hay's book "Why we hate politics" is an interesting take on why some people say that there's little difference between the parties - http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourking...cs-we-deserve/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2009
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.