Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I could not bring myself to shoot a person who I could not make out clearly in my hallway, that's for sure. I would have at least considered another person I knew was there. Perhaps I'm cowardly. I would have run away.

I would not have even shot a person I didn't know. How very British of me. I may have offered him tea and crumpets, but certainly not shot anybody. I don't like the gun laws in America, it feels uneasy. Even if most people don't even have guns.

And that's not really self defense, surely?

ReputationRep:
    The gun control comments in this thread are ******* ridiculous. I'm still waiting on the most ridiculous one to neg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    The gun control comments in this thread are ******* ridiculous. I'm still waiting on the most ridiculous one to neg.
    YOU CARRY A GUN TO ..... YOURSELF.

Do I get it? :grin:

ReputationRep:
    that's so sad

ReputationRep:
    he should shouted a warning or gave a warning shot.

ReputationRep:
    How stupid can you be? Oh there's someone in the house - it can't be my fiance who's living with me, it must be a burglar - let me just randomly shoot into the darkness just in case. Idiots shouldn't be allowed guns - he should have shot himself instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppety_Kid)
    Not proportionate force. You're virtually never allowed to kill someone in self-defence (only disable them).
    This happened in America, the law is different and if someone enters your house without permission you are allowed to kill them, in self-defence.

I don't think he's got a defence - presumably he could be prosecuted for second degree murder (although I'm not sure it'd happen). Don't quote me on that - I'm not an attorney. :p:
    This particular case is different, however if his fiancé hadn't walked in and it had been someone else, say a random person named Joe, nothing would've happened to the 'killer' as it is his right to defend his home and more importantly himself.

ReputationRep:
    If it were me (not that i'd have a gun anyway..) i'd like to think I would hide behind something with a good firing line and call out to them to see who it was before I fired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnthusiasticEnthusiast)
    This happened in America, the law is different and if someone enters your house without permission you are allowed to kill them, in self-defence.

This particular case is different, however if his fiancé hadn't walked in and it had been someone else, say a random person named Joe, nothing would've happened to the 'killer' as it is his right to defend his home and more importantly himself.
    I notice that you still haven't provided evidence of which of these "a lot of states" allow you to shoot intruders.

Ugh, he's a moron. "shot at a figure" -- it could've been anyone. And anyway, calling the police first would've been a good thing to do instead of killing the so-called 'intruder'.

ReputationRep:
    just saw that on the news!!! scary stuff!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Even if I thought there was an intruder in my house and I had a deadly weapon at my disposal, there's no way in hell I'd use it until I had a) seen the person's face and b) seen whether or not they had a weapon as well. Who the hell shoots blindly into the dark like that? And he absolutely should be brought to justice. Think of that poor woman's family.
    Would you really? In the darkness who the hell knows what they're doing, as far as you know it's an intruder in your house in the dead of night, and for all you know in the shadows they could well have a handgun aimed at you. I sure as hell wouldn't wait for solid proof because while i'm waiting, they could be shooting.

It's not silly of him, but tragic; an all too common thing in america. Too many innocent people going to the bathroom at night get killed like this. I suppose ideally he would have waited to see who it was more clearly, but he presumed his wife was in bed so who else could it be if not an unwelcome intruder?

The people here saying he should have fired a warning shot or who are averse to defending themselves are the idiots, and if a burglar crept up on you and capped you in your hesitation then frankly you had it coming. I don't necessarily agree with guns, partly because **** like this can happen all too easily, but this man exercised his rights and something tragic and unforseeable happened. Self defense law (in the uk at least) protects you when you percieve danger even thought no actual danger is present, even if someone gets killed, so he shouldn't even be prosecuted.

ReputationRep:
    Ms Dinsmore's son-in-law Scott Sposato told the Orlando Sentinel.

"They loved each other," he said. "It was quite apparent."
    that made me LOL IRL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    How do you know that it isn't true ?
    Maybe but the majority probably do.
    Have you ever heard of this thing called 'research' and 'facts'? :rolleyes: Generalisation FAIL.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ownership.html

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

I guess at 62 you're not going to be spry enough to defend yourself in hand to hand combat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    That trigger-happy society is getting ridiculous now. Who shoots a shadowy person in their home anyway? Even if it was a thief, what would there be to gain in putting a bullet in him.
    well think about it, if the guy has a gun, then its safe to assume that someone breaking in would also have a gun.

So by putting a bullet in them, they may not be killed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    Ugh, he's a moron. "shot at a figure" -- it could've been anyone.
    yeah... thats the point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Even if I thought there was an intruder in my house and I had a deadly weapon at my disposal, there's no way in hell I'd use it until I had a) seen the person's face and b) seen whether or not they had a weapon as well. Who the hell shoots blindly into the dark like that? And he absolutely should be brought to justice. Think of that poor woman's family.
    bingo

u dnt jst shoot without knowing who it is

ReputationRep:
    :laugh: Tragic, yet amusing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why you'd shoot somebody even if they were an intruder, surely you'd wait until you needed to physically defend yourself. Not just shoot before you know a)who it is, b) why they are there and c) if they are going to hurt you.

Guns just complicate things. I mean in the US cops can shoot criminals, but what good does killing them do? Surely shocking/tasering them would be better? Because if the criminal is dead then they can't give you any answers at all.

Anyway yeah, a sad case that should never have occurred. There's no doubt that the guy is feeling extremely guilty about things (assuming that it was an accident).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.