Turn on thread page Beta

Shocked at teachers attitude towards friends bipolar watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pimpman777)
    I think you should complain about it, i'd really be angry at that myself.
    I agree! and she is even a psychology teacher? what the heck is she thinking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    :angel:

But honestly, you can hardly expect to come out with such a bold statement and not expect backlash?
    I would have hoped that it would have been seen as a light hearted joke as it was intended. Perhaps next time i should insert some lame smilies to put my point across.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Because my friend is way too shy to complain even if she wanted to. She used to apologise for talking to her teacher after lessons or w/e and isnt the attention seeking type at all, the complete opposite in fact. She hates attention. :dontknow:
    Well then if she's to shy to complain there's nothing you can do about it, so just forget it. It's still not your place to complain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    I would have hoped that it would have been seen as a light hearted joke as it was intended. Perhaps next time i should insert some lame smilies to put my point across.
    T'would be advisable <<< see what I did there.

This is TSR, you can hardly not understand when some people take you seriously with some of the rubbish people come out with on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    This is TSR, you can hardly not understand when some people take you seriously with some of the rubbish people come out with on here.
    Tru fax

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    T'would be advisable <<< see what I did there.
    "LOL"

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this thread is quite *****y.

As to the actual issue, I don't think it is a reason for complaint. So someone with a mental illness got called an attention seeker. If I understand correctly - and I'm not entirely sure that I do - the teacher that called them that didn't know they were bipolar, in which case it's just one person casting a character judgement on another. And you can't complain because of that.

ReputationRep:
    So she didn't know that the friend was bi polar? It's not that bad.. the teacher just wasn't particularly nice but that's not really a huge deal, is it? :dontknow: As someone else said, the teacher isn't exactly a counsellor maybe we should give the teacher a break and not automatically judge them too harshly. I'm sure we've all had teachers say much worse things to us and be far more insensitive than that.

Besides, I'm not sure we're really understanding the whole picture here. I find it hard to believe that a teacher just went 'oh right, you're the attention seeker' out of the blue. Maybe your buddy is a little oversensitive and misinterpreted what she was saying.

I think your friend should tell her what she thinks herself rather than getting upset about it and complaining to other staff, but that's just my opinion. It could quite realistically be a misunderstanding that can be cleared up.

ReputationRep:
    Why? They're not therapists or Drs.
    No I know but you'd think they'd be aware of it at least and not jump to stupid conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    No I know but you'd think they'd be aware of it at least and not jump to stupid conclusions.
    But on the fliup side, how many people do you know that claim to be depressed when really they are just having a bit of a tough time? I know loads of them. After a while you just stop caring or believing, at least i know i do and i have had problems in the past :dontknow:

But on the fliup side, how many people do you know that claim to be depressed when really they are just having a bit of a tough time? I know loads of them. After a while you just stop caring or believing, at least i know i do and i have had problems in the past :dontknow:
    I atleast ask to know what's up first, if it is "Oh noes my nail broke" then sure the teacher could be like that, however to be in the position a teacher is and judge something like that without the fact's is not professional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    I atleast ask to know what's up first, if it is "Oh noes my nail broke" then sure the teacher could be like that, however to be in the position a teacher is and judge something like that without the fact's is not professional.
    Yes i will agree it was unprofessional and she should have kept her assumptions to herself but we have to remember this teacher didn't know the pupil and so wasn't to know that she isn't just another teenage drama queen.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have bipolar and in the past have been accused of being an attention seeker (amongst other things).
    Unfortunately it is a pretty common opinion, maybe you should print off some information for your teachers and explain that it will help them understand your friend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FelicityEllen)
    Thats wrong, I'd have your friend make a complaint.

My friends got bipolar disorder, and he gets a reserved parking space in college because of it.
    That's stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know what you're saying, I had that happen to me when I was depressed purely because of that. I guess I'm just a bit biased because of that in that I think people should be able to recognise these things, but often they don't understand them enough.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know what you're saying, I had that happen to me when I was depressed purely because of that. I guess I'm just a bit biased because of that in that I think people should be able to recognise these things, but often they don't understand them enough.
    That's the problem, it's more socially acceptable to be depressed these days which means that now everyone thinks they are and now no one is taken seriously. Catch 22 and that.

ReputationRep:
    That's the problem, it's more socially acceptable to be depressed these days which means that now everyone thinks they are and now no one is taken seriously. Catch 22 and that.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly.
    Never mind eh.

ReputationRep:
    You should complain thats horrible!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2009
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.