Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dude, no. I have 12 lectures a week spread over 6 days, as well as 12 hours of labs and 4x 1-hour-long supervisions (which each need 3 hours of prep work).

Arts students generally have less contact time than science students, but they probably have a lot more background reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    please please please tell me i'm right
    Depends on what your timetable is.

My uni has lectures between 9am and 9pm. None of the students I know has more than 3 subjects in a day (even that isn't common). Most of my class has two subjects in one day.

11am to 4pm isn't too bad, with a quick few minutes between lectures for lunch, toilet, smoke etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    It's nasty eh! I have that 3 days a week: 1hour lecture, 1 hour lecture, 1 hour tutorial/seminar for french, 3 hour lab... Lunch doesn't really happen.... one the days I have 6hours, I also have an hour of circuit training for rowing straight after, then an hour and a half of hockey training...
    Yes, then my art student friends have the cheek to get annoyed over a few hours of lecturers a week! I'm like, thats nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    Dude, no. I have 12 lectures a week spread over 6 days, as well as 12 hours of labs and 4x 1-hour-long supervisions (which each need 3 hours of prep work).

Arts students generally have less contact time than science students, but they probably have a lot more background reading.

Yes, lot more reading.
    My wife is on a BSc, I'm on a BA. In the first semester my reading list is about 350 books more than hers.
    She's in a day and a half on her course this semester (3 modules) though 2nd semester will be more (5 modules).

ReputationRep:
    Actually I think mine will be less than 16 hours a week. Lectures are 50 mins, or an hour and 50 mins. One is an hour and a half.

Yeah, adds up to just under 14 hours.

oh right,

i never really knew that, i've had the idea of only 1 lecture a day for about 3 or 4 days a week for a generic undergraduate course so maybe i'm wrong...

I was at City's talk on their journalism course yesterday and they said students may work up to 8 hours a day
    Generally some courses have days off so the 10 hours over 5 days that I have is more like 10 hours over 3 days split into 4 on Tuesday, 3 on Thursday and 3 on Friday. There's also a lot of other stuff that will take up your time like projects and research too.

ReputationRep:
    i have like 12 hours a week?? lecutres and seminars....

its not too bad... buts after xmas i have more gutted.

ReputationRep:
    no that's wrong on fridays i have three lectures and two seminars that run one after the other with no break

ReputationRep:
    I have 4 lectures on a Friday :p:

Good luck getting one a day, where-ever you go

ReputationRep:
    i got 2 tomorrow, thanks for reminding me :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    please please please tell me i'm right
    LMAO.

ReputationRep:
    depends what subject/uni.

I do law and i sometimes have three lectures in a day..
    but my friend does business and is like never in

ReputationRep:
    lucky lol i have 2/3 lectures a day plus a lot of other sessions too.

ReputationRep:
    I have 9 hours of teaching a week. But at university level, you need to do a lot of independent work, akin to the hours of a full-time job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasharox)
    I have 9 hours of teaching a week. But at university level, you need to do a lot of independent work, akin to the hours of a full-time job.
    yup.

for a BSc you are expected to study between 6000 somthing to 10400 hours in the 3 years (this is based on the CATS system i.e. 30 CATS = a certain number of hours, and the range, 6k-10k results out of modules being 25-30 CATS all count as 30 so if u have 4*25 its less than 4*30) and apparently averages out to about 40 hours a week - like a typical job.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your timetable. I used to sometimes have two on one day as an undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    i've got 7 hours in a day...................... 5 of which are in a row. You sure as hell can..........

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to do single honours German, and that'll give me about 8 hours of lectures per week apparently at the uni's I'm applying to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Yes, then my art student friends have the cheek to get annoyed over a few hours of lecturers a week! I'm like, thats nothing!
    Tell me about it! 2 of my flatmates have no lectures at all on Wed or Fri...so so depressing...

ReputationRep:
    I wish I have 15hours per week this year, and thats lessthen the last 2 years ive been here! x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.