Turn on thread page Beta

I 'slept with' someone from my halls last night watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    But that's tantamount to saying that a man only gets into a relationship for the sex.

I don't even have casual sex, but I wouldn't want to date a guy with that sort of ridiculous attitude.
    It may not be the ONLY thing, but I can garauntee for many men, it's the MAIN thing.

It's kind of like that old saying, "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnytheFox)
    I'm not talking about me you mug. But I know from many of my friends, both male and female, that girls who offer sex early on in the "relationship" find it much harder to find longterm boyfriends than those that hold out for a while.

I didn't say it applied to EVERY SINGLE MALE ON THE PLANET. You had no reason to be so insulting in your post.
    I'll try and be a bit more polite this time.

It just doesn't make sense.

Guys want sex: Guys want a girlfriend who also wants sex: The idea that in order to find a girlfriend who likes sex, they would go for a girl who doesn't like sex is just ludicrous.

If you wanted a girlfriend who liked chess, you wouldn't specifically avoid girls who like chess would you?

I would suggest to you, that despite the naive stereotype, the truth is actually the exact opposite.

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about? Where did I once say "only virgins can get boyfriends?"

All I said was, a lot of men would prefer a girl that is more reluctant to have random casual sex than a girl who gives it up at every oppurtunity for a longterm relationship.
    I'm pretty sure the reverse is true too, women would generally favour a man who didn't sleep wih a different girl each night.

I didn't say it applied to EVERY SINGLE MALE ON THE PLANET. You had no reason to be so insulting in your post.
    That's ridiculous that the male equivilent in 'sluttiness' to a woman occasionally having casual sex is a man with a different girl every night. Guys are congratulated when they have one night stands- have you ever heard anyone use ridiculous dated phrases like 'why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free' or 'giving it up' directed at a guy? No, because men and women have this sexist and degrading mindset that women should stay 'pure' but men can sleep around. You shouldn't be normalising this attitude, we should all be trying to change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    That's ridiculous that the male equivilent in 'sluttiness' to a woman occasionally having casual sex is a man with a different girl every night. Guys are congratulated when they have one night stands- have you ever heard anyone use ridiculous dated phrases like 'why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free' or 'giving it up' directed at a guy? No, because men and women have this sexist and degrading mindset that women should stay 'pure' but men can sleep around. You shouldn't be normalising this attitude, we should all be trying to change it.
    Actually I think once you get out of the first year at uni, you do see that kind of opinion forming about guys as well. I think its seen as something that guys should grow out of. The guy you were giving high fives to at 18 because he bagged another drunk ho, you now think is a prick, girls won't touch him with a barge pole, because his reputation has preceded him, and he probably has herpes too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I'll try and be a bit more polite this time.

It just doesn't make sense.

Guys want sex: Guys want a girlfriend who also wants sex: The idea that in order to find a girlfriend who likes sex, they would go for a girl who doesn't like sex is just ludicrous.

If you wanted a girlfriend who liked chess, you wouldn't specifically avoid girls who like chess would you?

I would suggest to you, that despite the naive stereotype, the truth is actually the exact opposite.
    Ok, thanks for making the effort, this post was a lot more clear.

And yes, you do have a very good point there and I agree with the illogical nature of it all, but I'm going by what I've observed and I've seen it again and again. For some reason, guys don't have any respect for the girl they deem as easy.

ReputationRep:
    hes a guy...if you make yourself available and show him you are interested in something more then he will probably do the same, you just have to make the first move...he probably walked out because you started regreting it like you are now

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks for making the effort, this post was a lot more clear.

And yes, you do have a very good point there and I agree with the illogical nature of it all, but I'm going by what I've observed and I've seen it again and again. For some reason, guys don't have any respect for the girl they deem as easy.
    I think there is a difference between a girl that "puts out" (a good thing) and a girl that "sleeps around" (a bad thing).

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous that the male equivilent in 'sluttiness' to a woman occasionally having casual sex is a man with a different girl every night.
    You're just looking for a fight here. For a woman I said "gives it up at every oppurtunity," and for guys I said "sleeps with a different woman every night." Surely that's the exact same thing?

Guys are congratulated when they have one night stands- have you ever heard anyone use ridiculous dated phrases like 'why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free' or 'giving it up' directed at a guy? No, because men and women have this sexist and degrading mindset that women should stay 'pure' but men can sleep around. You shouldn't be normalising this attitude, we should all be trying to change it.
    Why are you people having a go at me? I'm just stating what I've witnessed and I'm sure many people have witnessed too.

I'll suggest a theory as to why men are congratulated and women are ridiculed when it comes to one night stands:

Men are pathetically desperate to get laid. That's clear for everyone to see. If a girl wants casual sex, she can pretty much go to a club, choose a man and provided he's straight and single, if she offers him sex, he'll take it.
    Women on the other hand, can afford to be far more picky about potential partners. I'm sure if you've ever been clubbing, you've seen or had to deal with the lechorous male who won't take no for an answer.

As a result, it's far more of a challenge for a guy to get casual sex if he wants it than it is for a woman to get it if she wants it. Hence the whole, congratulations for one sex, disrespect for the other.

Once again, try to refrain from insulting me. I don't write the sociological book on the social attitude towards sex of men and women. I'm just going by what I've seen and what I'm sure most of you have seen too.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    personally, lambast me if you will, I feel like a **** if I sleep with anyone I dont really like (Y)

So there is hope yet that he is decent lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    He just came and went?

Well... he probably has no thought to go further or carry it on as he didn't even stay the night with you. It probably seemed an easy situation to him.
    Yes, quite literally. :yep:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You're just looking for a fight here. For a woman I said "gives it up at every oppurtunity," and for guys I said "sleeps with a different woman every night." Surely that's the exact same thing?

Why are you people having a go at me? I'm just stating what I've witnessed and I'm sure many people have witnessed too.

I'll suggest a theory as to why men are congratulated and women are ridiculed when it comes to one night stands:

> SOME < Men are pathetically desperate to get laid. That's clear for everyone to see. If a girl wants casual sex, she can pretty much go to a club, choose a man and provided he's straight and single, if she offers him sex, he'll take it.
    Women on the other hand, can afford to be far more picky about potential partners. I'm sure if you've ever been clubbing, you've seen or had to deal with the lechorous male who won't take no for an answer.

As a result, it's far more of a challenge for a guy to get casual sex if he wants it than it is for a woman to get it if she wants it. Hence the whole, congratulations for one sex, disrespect for the other.

Once again, try to refrain from insulting me. I don't write the sociological book on the social attitude towards sex of men and women. I'm just going by what I've seen and what I'm sure most of you have seen too.
    now its fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Actually I think once you get out of the first year at uni, you do see that kind of opinion forming about guys as well. I think its seen as something that guys should grow out of. The guy you were giving high fives to at 18 because he bagged another drunk ho, you now think is a prick, girls won't touch him with a barge pole, because his reputation has preceded him, and he probably has herpes too.
    I've only been at uni a few weeks so I don't know what the general 'uni' attitude is, I'm talking about everyday life, from people of all ages, in and out of uni. We can see from just this thread that it's considered far, far more acceptable for men to have sex out of a relationship than women. It's ingrained in our society, in our media and our language- whether the second and third year uni students in general have a different attitude I couldn't say.

ReputationRep:
    You're just looking for a fight here. For a woman I said "gives it up at every oppurtunity," and for guys I said "sleeps with a different woman every night." Surely that's the exact same thing

Men are pathetically desperate to get laid. That's clear for everyone to see. If a girl wants casual sex, she can pretty much go to a club, choose a man and provided he's straight and single, if she offers him sex, he'll take it.

I haven't insulted you at all. Maybe I was too confrontational, I apologise, but it seems like you think this attitude is a justified one. It's actually horribly sexist and repressive and it frustrates me so much when people act like this is an ok mindset to have. The fact is historically women are ideally pure and virginal, and people- men and women- are challenged and threatened by seeing them as people who enjoy sex as much as men, hence the huge amount of stick women get when they have casual sex. It's a huge feminist issue and really needs to be changed, rather than people saying 'it's just the way the male mind works'.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly anything bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Been at uni for 2 weeks now, last night I went out with some people from my halls who I didn't know but one of them was a guy I added on facebook before I came. I got very drunk when I was out and the night ended in this guy coming back to my room, we had sex, and he went back to his room afterwards. I know I probably shouldn't have done it and he might think badly of me for it but I like the guy and he seems like the sort of person I'd like to get to know better. I don't know where I stand now though, I don't want him to think it was just a drunken mistake that I regret and I don't want it to make things awkward between us. I'm hoping he doesn't just never invite me out again or something like that. Any thoughts or advice on how to approach the situation?
    OMG you total sl*t! that is the worst thing i've ever heard of happening. God will judge you and send you straight to the gates of hell for your heinous actions.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a negative opinion on one night stands at all, I do it myself and I'll do it again.

But if I was the guy, you'd have lost most if not all of your credibility as a possible girlfriend (i.e. be in a relationship with) if I managed to sleep with you the first time I met you. It would take something pretty special to convert me on this one

I don't know if other guys think like this though so you'll have to ask him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George Agdgdgwngo)
    I don't have a negative opinion on one night stands at all, I do it myself and I'll do it again.

But if I was the guy, you'd have lost most if not all of your credibility as a possible girlfriend (i.e. be in a relationship with) if I managed to sleep with you the first time I met you. It would take something pretty special to convert me on this one

I don't know if other guys think like this though so you'll have to ask him.
    You'd rule her out as a girlfriend because she had a one night stand? That's ridiculous, really ridiculous.

ReputationRep:

I'm sure I've discussed this before with someone on here.

I don't buy that argument one bit. If I really wanted to, I could go out to a nightclub and, provided I wasn't too picky, take home a girl maybe 9 times out of 10. But I don't, because I'm not a complete ******. You probably could to, provided you are reasonably decent looking and confident.

This idea that girls get it every time they like is a complete myth.

It takes 2 people to have sex. For every girl out there pulling, there is a guy. Equal numbers of males and females have (heterosexual) sex each night.

I have heard this stuff about girls being looked down upon so much, yet I don't know anyone who does this looking down. Some of my female friends have slept with 12-15 guys in the last 4 years, and we may make jokes about it to them, but we don't think they're ****s, and it wouldn't put it off dating them. (20-30 guys and it might)

Women of the world, throw off your shackles (within moderation). No-one will think you're a ****. If a guy does, it's just because he's jealous that you didn't sleep with him instead. If a girl does, it's because she wanted to sleep with that guy.

ReputationRep:
    You'd rule her out as a girlfriend because she had a one night stand? That's ridiculous, really ridiculous.
    It's a personal opinion, it's not ridiculous. Maybe it's because most of the girls I've had one night stands with have been complete whores :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George Agdgdgwngo)
    It's a personal opinion, it's not ridiculous. Maybe it's because most of the girls I've had one night stands with have been complete whores :awesome:
    Personal opinion or not, it's pretty sexist. It takes two people to have sex, yet you'd think less of the girl? Are the double standards escaping you?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.