Yes, yes I am :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Yes, yes I am :proud:
    Damn you and your future collection of Nature papers! :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    TBH, Wellcome seem to like PLoS and Nature equally well...

ReputationRep:
    TBH, Wellcome seem to like PLoS and Nature equally well...
    PLoS is where the failures publish :rolleyes: :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Happy times, I'm waiting for my HapMap data to cluster (same thing I did last time, but using a slightly different method). Even cutting my sample size from 1000+ to 167 inviduals, it's been running for about 40mins and it's still going... I want it to get on with it so I try something else before journal club

ReputationRep:
    My postdoc is being a snide little so-and-so at the same time as forcing me to miss a rehearsal for the second week in a row so I can run a ******* unnecessary gel.

ReputationRep:
    I am also waiting for my clustering to finish :rolleyes: Bored
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by shiny)
    I am also waiting for my clustering to finish :rolleyes: Bored
    Plink, or something cleverer?

ReputationRep:
    Any computational chemists out there that know how to use Gaussian?

ReputationRep:
    Plink, or something cleverer?
    It's my own clusterer. I am testing to see if it works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    I thought you were supposed to be doing molecular biology, not compsci :tongue:
    I thought I was supposed to be doing compsci but I feel more like i'm doing Maths. Sucks cause im crap at Maths.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by shiny)
    It's my own clusterer. I am testing to see if it works.
    Does that mean you're working with Marchini and/or Donnelly?

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean you're working with Marchini and/or Donnelly?
    I have mates who work with them but I don't work with them personally.

ReputationRep:
    I remember the day journal club was stopped in my old PhD group. Someone, unwisely, put in one of their own preprints for the club and almost started a fight!

On another note, I believe that all the computational chemists at my old place were banned from using Gaussian because they developed open source code instead.

I'm not a comp chemist I just used materials studio, which seems to be a very expensive way of running CASTEP imho.

ReputationRep:
    I am really resenting the undergrads right now... but I wowed them with my beautiful gel this morning, so things are looking up today!

ReputationRep:
    booooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddddddd ddd already and it is only 10 o'clock!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Seminar at 3 = legitimate reason to go home at 4.30. Win!

ReputationRep:
    That's me tomorrow
    Right now I am reading the world's DULLEST papers. (I thought I'd seen the worst when I fell asleep doing pre-reading for my PhD but no, it gets worse - my supervisor actually sifted out some of the real crap for me and I only just found it)
    I am drinking Coke (yes, real Coca Cola :eek:) and went for a walk in the rain to wake me up. SNORE!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Free laptop from work :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    I don't even know where the Chemistry building is :p:
    And sadly Bristol is chock-a-bloc with rubbishy animal behaviour people, with no use for liquid nitrogen, and really seriously lacking in molecular and biochemical labs Plus, I'm very new, so I haven't even figured out where the one other lab I know has N(l) is!
    Rubbishy? I find it very interesting.. sad to hear there is not enough of the labs you are into tho!

Have you not met many other PhD people at Bristol of your age? Most of the people on PhDs in pharm, phys and neuro seem to be quite young. I am 22 I really like it here although my project hasn't properly started yet, so I am yet to find out how much of a 'lab monkey' I will have to be!

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.