Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to Edinburgh (physical geog and Geology), Durham (geography bsc), Lancaster (physical geography with a year abroad), Aberystwyth (physical) and Reading (physical).
    Everyone seems to be getting offers at college, from Manchester and Sheffield mostly

ReputationRep:
    Hey.
    I'm doing BA Geography L700 (That is the plan at least)
    I've applied to Edinburgh, Manchester, Oxford, St Andrews and Sussex.
    I've (like a lot of people it appears) got an offer from Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soya)
    Hey.
    Well done on your offer

May i ask what your predicted grades are? I'm slightly worried about mine now.

ReputationRep:
    Just found out I got an offer from Southampton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    Just found out I got an offer from Southampton
    aww well done
    I want some offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charli92)
    Well done on your offer

May i ask what your predicted grades are? I'm slightly worried about mine now.
    Thanks.
    Iam predicted As in History and English and A* in Geography.
    What about you?
    You shouldn't worry though, no one else at my school has an offer yet.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hihi!!
    Congrats to all those who have offers already!!

I was wondering if you all could help me out a bit..
    I'm currently taking Geography, Maths, Economics at A2; and I'm quite leaning towards the BSc Geography course.
    Do most universities consider Maths as the required Science subject?
    (I dropped Biology after AS - but that was because I really didn't like it..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess_888)
    Hihi!!
    Congrats to all those who have offers already!!

I was wondering if you all could help me out a bit..
    I'm currently taking Geography, Maths, Economics at A2; and I'm quite leaning towards the BSc Geography course.
    Do most universities consider Maths as the required Science subject?
    (I dropped Biology after AS - but that was because I really didn't like it..)
    Good subject choices

I think some universities are a lot more strict than others; I was in the same position as you and thought it safest to keep to a BA 'cos I didn't want to risk it. Saying that though, a lot of places I went to said they weren't really bothered about it - I think Birmingham for example said they'd treat your application exactly the same whichever you picked, so you could literally just pick the degree title you wanted and all the modules you wanted to do.

Your best bet is probably emailing the tutors of where you want to apply to be honest - they'll be able to say yes or no and put your mind at rest.

Ooh, I found something from Bristol:
    " 8) What subjects do you consider to be 'science' for entry via the Faculty of Science (F800/F801/F803)?

In addition to the subjects we term 'core' qualifying science subjects in our Admissions Statement (i.e. Geography, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Environmental Science and Biology), we also consider Psychology, Applied Science, Science, Astronomy, Human Biology, Computing, Information and Computing Technology, Design & Technology, Electronics, Statistics and Civil Engineering as suitable here.

Applicants who have applied via the Faculty of Science but are ineligible, will still be considered for entry through the Faculty of Social Sciences & Law. "

I reckon a lot of places would have similar policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    Good subject choices

Your best bet is probably emailing the tutors of where you want to apply to be honest - they'll be able to say yes or no and put your mind at rest.
    Ahhhh thanks Emailed Sheffield just now asking them.

I know for Exeter it actually states on their website what their policies are so I know I'm safe there (although there I have the problem of deciding which campus to go to.)

Me thinks I'll email universities as I decide on my final choices.

I'm also considering applying to UCL. But I hate the possible idea of getting an interview, or even having to go to their compulsory selection day (if you get considered) - I always have a panic attack in an unfamilar situation..

I actually hate trying to decide this stuff - sorting out the next 3-4 years of your life and potentially the rest of your future. And I mean, even trying to write my personal statement wasn't that hard..

From reading this thread, it looks like so far quite a lot of people have applied already?

(I'll stop now - I like to ramble on..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueLightMedic)
    I got an offer last week at Sheffield
    Congrats!! And out of curiosity, what was the actual offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soya)
    Hey.
    Hey,
    When you got ur offer from manchester did it come with a blue piece of paper saying
    "please be advised that we are currently experiencing technical problems in communicating your offer details to ucas. We apologise for any inconvenience it is causing and hope that the problems are resolved in the near future"
    As mine did, i recieved the letter a week ago and still have not had my ucas updated and so don't know the grade requirement. I think I have the same predictions as you though Hist A Eng A Geog A* so what is ur grade requirement as it might be the same?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Applied for Geography (Bsc) to Cambridge, Southampton, Exeter (Cornwall campus), Newcastle and Bristol.
    Just got an offer from Southampton today and Newcastle emailed me saying they're going to make me an offer!
    Never been this excited before.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hardy_4_paws)
    Hey,
    When you got ur offer from manchester did it come with a blue piece of paper saying
    "please be advised that we are currently experiencing technical problems in communicating your offer details to ucas. We apologise for any inconvenience it is causing and hope that the problems are resolved in the near future"
    As mine did, i recieved the letter a week ago and still have not had my ucas updated and so don't know the grade requirement. I think I have the same predictions as you though Hist A Eng A Geog A* so what is ur grade requirement as it might be the same?

Thanks!
    I got the same note and haven't had UCAS updated so unfortuantely updated so I can't help you I am afraid.
    I am annoyed because I really want it to be up there officially (Well I mean the letter is pretty official but it would be nice to have all the data in the system).
    Are you going to the taster day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soya)
    I got the same note and haven't had UCAS updated so unfortuantely updated so I can't help you I am afraid.
    I am annoyed because I really want it to be up there officially (Well I mean the letter is pretty official but it would be nice to have all the data in the system).
    Are you going to the taster day?
    Hey, I emailed them to ask :P and the technical problems are still there but they said the offer will be AAB and I assume yours will be the same as we do the same subjects with the same predictions.. (I think, Eng A, Hist A, Geog A*?)

I can't make the taster day on the 11th so i'm going on the 25th, I'm sooo excited, one of my best friends started this year studying materials science and she absolutly LOVES manchester shes so happy its amazing

Fingers crossed for your other applications, where are they again?

ReputationRep:
    Offer from Leeds today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themango)
    Offer from Leeds today
    Well Done! :woo:

Out of curiosity, what was the offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boggybop)
    Well Done! :woo:

Out of curiosity, what was the offer?
    I already have AAA so the offer was unconditional but I assume it would have been a standard offer which for Bsc is ABB including Geography or equivalent, a maths or science subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hardy_4_paws)
    Hey, I emailed them to ask :P and the technical problems are still there but they said the offer will be AAB and I assume yours will be the same as we do the same subjects with the same predictions.. (I think, Eng A, Hist A, Geog A*?)

I can't make the taster day on the 11th so i'm going on the 25th, I'm sooo excited, one of my best friends started this year studying materials science and she absolutly LOVES manchester shes so happy its amazing

Fingers crossed for your other applications, where are they again?
    I guess they'll be the same. Thanks.
    I'm also applying to St Andrews, Oxford, Edinburgh and Sussex. Have yet to hear from any of them though Sussex have promised a reply by early November.
    Good luck with yours as well. But if you've got into somewhere you love this early you're certainly starting off on the right foot. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taheki)
    Applying for Geology (F600). UCAS being sent off next week.

Imperial College
    UCL
    Bristol
    Southampton
    Durham (St Chad's)
    3 of the same courses as me lol did you apply for the year abroad?

I'm applying (deferred entry) for earth sciences/geology at:
    Imperial w/yr abroad
    Bristol w/yr abroad
    Southampton w/yr abroad
    Liverpool w/yr abroad
    Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimber)
    3 of the same courses as me lol did you apply for the year abroad?

I'm applying (deferred entry) for earth sciences/geology at:
    Imperial w/yr abroad
    Bristol w/yr abroad
    Southampton w/yr abroad
    Liverpool w/yr abroad
    Oxford
    No.. I was told that you only get to do it if you're doing well anyway. So if I'm at that point, it will get offered to me anyway and i could choose to do it then. Likewise, you can upgrade do the 4 year Master's course if you're doing well enough, apparently.

Tbh I didn't really look into it.. it's always been my intention to do a Bsc first then do a 1 year Master's in something more specific.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.