Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how environmentally friendly the studio where they produced the ad was. :rolleyes:

Change starts with government. Our current government expects citizens to do all the heavy lifting in becoming more environmentally friendly without pulling it's own weight or forcing big business to make radical changes as opposed to bureaucracy and lip service. I do believe that we are having some kind of effect on the climate - hell we have an effect on most other things on this planet - but this is very much a case of the government saying "do as I say, not as I do".

I try to source ecologically sustainable food and donate to several conservation charities and efforts, as well as try to act responsibly with electricity, water, gas and so forth, but I do this of my own free will, and I know that most people won't do such actions because it is incorrectly perceived as taking time and money to be green. On top of this, there is a terrible image in the most widely right-wing papers like The Sun, Daily Fail, Daily Express, Daily Telegraph and so forth that climate change is a myth and it's all a conspiracy. It angers me seeing governments not doing enough themselves to combat climate change and foisting taxes and regulations on us willy-nilly, because I know that:
    a) They don't care about climate change
    b) Their misguided "efforts" tarnish deep green ecologism and environmentalism with the same brush and discourage others from being more environmentally friendly
    c) It is seen as dictatorial

ReputationRep:
    The thing about the advertisement that is quite funny is that they want us to search for the website by using search engines such as Google. But if I remember correctly, wasn't there an article about how every google search produces it's own CO2 footprint?

Meh, bit of an ironic laugh there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InvoluntarySlacker)
    The thing about the advertisement that is quite funny is that they want us to search for the website by using search engines such as Google. But if I remember correctly, wasn't there an article about how every google search produces it's own CO2 footprint?

Meh, bit of an ironic laugh there.
    The carbon footprint of a search query is infinitesimally small, although one does exist. To be honest, pretty much everything we do has a carbon footprint - the idea behind current environmentalism is not about getting rid of it, but about minimising it to the maximum possible extent and compensating for that footprint.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)
    Why should we be bullied and pushed into paying a higher "green tax" whilst, like you say, china and America just tip the balance.
    So you think that the 'let china sort it' policy will work? I think the world has had enough of Britain telling it what to do - perhaps we should actually lead the way for once? Take it upon ourselves to act in the hope others will follow?

Furthermore, you can't deny the economic benefits of energy efficiency and reducing dependence on oil imports from the middle east. We got to switch some time...

ReputationRep:
    You know, I can't even decide whether I think its good or bad :-/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaslug77)
    If that advert was really promoting a green Britain, he would be reading that book to her from some solar powered electronic reader, not a paperback which costs energy to make.
    You don't think a 'solar-powered electronic reader' would 'cost energy' to make?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Avenger)
    There's absolutely no point in Britain "Acting on C02" - even if we bring our carbon emissions to Zero it wont matter as long as China,India and America keep at it :rolleyes:
    I take it you never vote (if you're old enough)?

China and America are starting to work on reducing their emissions anyway. I doubt they would if there wasn't international pressure.

ReputationRep:
    No No im not....

But instead of actually trying to explain anything, they just tried to use scaremonger tactics.

Its quite pathetic.
    The vast majority of people really don't give a **** about the environment. They've been getting the facts rammed down their throats from every direction for the past decade and more, and yet we've seen absolutely no change in attitudes or lifestyles.

The original intention was that if you gave the public the INFORMATION then they, themselves, would realise the consequences of this information, and they would get scared like they should be. But they didn't. The government have given them the information, and now they have to spoon feed them to the consequences too.

I would think this advert was unnecessarily patronising too, if it hadn't been preceded by over a decade of education and information. But it was preceded by that, and what we have learned from that is that the public are too dim to see the consequences of that information for themselves. So I think the government are quite right in changing the attitudes of their appeals to the public. What would you prefer they did... just battled on with the same old campaigns that, due the unresponsiveness of the public, just haven't been working?

I totally reject your argument that we should be 'educating' the public rather than striking fear into them. They are already educated... do you seriously think there are people out there who don't KNOW about the climate crisis? Everybody knows about it, and everybody is as educated as they are ever going to be, and still nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    You don't think a 'solar-powered electronic reader' would 'cost energy' to make?
    Well it would be far cheaper to produce a solar-powered electronic reader for every person in the world than it would to produce all the hard copy books that are made in a decade, maybe even a year.

It's also a method that doesn't go anywhere near deforestation.

ReputationRep:
    What a load of patronising emotional crap
    Who cares anyway, country gets too hot--->beach holiday, country gets too cold----->ski to school. Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    good god what next

ReputationRep:
    when I first saw that ad, I just thought, paedo, paedo, paedo....

ReputationRep:
    How are you supposed to get the message across to idiots without treating them like idiots?

ReputationRep:
    I hate everything to do with Global Warming. To be honest i couldnt care less about it. We should be worrying about where our energy is coming from! FACT: we're running out of the stuff. I dont care whether its green or not, we need energy, simple. If tomorrow they found a basically unlimited supply of oil, I would use it, regardless of whether its green. Get my drift brahh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Change starts with government.
    Only in an authoritarian society. In a liberal and democratic society, governments rarely act except where votes are apparent - particularly on measures which directly effect individuals. Just as in a capitalist society, businesses are creatures of public demand, so are governments - albeit with different mechanisms regulating the hold of one over another.

ReputationRep:
    **** the government, put more money into nuclear fusion energy we'll talk.
    dicks they get billions on taxes, waste it on anything then rinse the expenses system and have the audacity to lecture us on leaving a light bulb on.
    *******s they have FAR more control over the climate than we do yet instead of doing something constructive they would rather nag us about a few measley TVs on standby.

ReputationRep:
    oh and a big finger to global warming, i cant wait for the days i can go out in a t shirt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    So you think that the 'let china sort it' policy will work? I think the world has had enough of Britain telling it what to do - perhaps we should actually lead the way for once? Take it upon ourselves to act in the hope others will follow?

Furthermore, you can't deny the economic benefits of energy efficiency and reducing dependence on oil imports from the middle east. We got to switch some time...
    No, the world needs to act as a whole. Its like when rowing in a boat... if one person is busting a gut, whilst the other people are having a fag break, you just go around in circles...

Economic benefits? i dont think so..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No, the world needs to act as a whole. Its like when rowing in a boat... if one person is busting a gut, whilst the other people are having a fag break, you just go around in circles...

Economic benefits? i dont think so..
    So part of the world acting as a whole is not to do anything? Surely you can see that the only way forward is to show willingness to act, not just meaningless words about what should happen?

I'd be interested to see how economically viable using oil is compared to alternatives when oil prices reach $100/barrel again in 6/7 years time, and whether such adverts are in fact beneficial to the economy in such an environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    So part of the world acting as a whole is not to do anything? Surely you can see that the only way forward is to show willingness to act, not just meaningless words about what should happen?
    yeah, but the whole world isnt in agreement, that's the point. It's all very well the UK making these grand announcements about things that we are going to do and what savings we are going to make, but if we reduce our carbon emissions, and add ANOTHER tax to our citizens, whilst the US, india and china each have an increase, even if it's slight, whats the point?

yeah we may hold the moral high ground, but china and india dont seem to give two ***** about that.. So what have we gained?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.