Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    I recommend that you don't apply to both KCL and UCL.

My LNAT wasn't that good (20) so that might've been why, or my AS levels. Don't worry about AS grades too much. Concentrate on your PS, A2s and LNAT.
    Might be a stupid question, but, why? Because if anything that will increase my chances of going to a top uni if i give two a shot?

Also, I have mitigating circumstances for my GCSEs AND re sitting a year as something that happened went on for about a year and a half. I'm hoping they will take this into account properly because if they do, all they really have to go by is my LNAT, PS and predictions - Am i right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Might be a stupid question, but, why? Because if anything that will increase my chances of going to a top uni if i give two a shot?

Also, I have mitigating circumstances for my GCSEs AND re sitting a year as something that happened went on for about a year and a half. I'm hoping they will take this into account properly because if they do, all they really have to go by is my LNAT, PS and predictions - Am i right?
    I don't think they really take mitigating circumstances for GCSEs into account. They might take it if you provide details how it's affects your AS.

KCL and UCL are essentially the same, for both requirements and course content. It's kinda like how you can't apply to both Cambridge and Oxford, except you are allowed to. I just wouldn't recommend doing so because if you get rejected by one, you're likely to get rejected by the other. Having said that, my friend got rejected from UCL but is now at Kings (for Law with French or something).

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they really take mitigating circumstances for GCSEs into account. They might take it if you provide details how it's affects your AS.

KCL and UCL are essentially the same, for both requirements and course content. It's kinda like how you can't apply to both Cambridge and Oxford, except you are allowed to. I just wouldn't recommend doing so because if you get rejected by one, you're likely to get rejected by the other. Having said that, my friend got rejected from UCL but is now at Kings (for Law with French or something).
    My understanding is that KCL is slightly easier to get into for Law than UCL. That's just from what I have heard on here though, so I am not sure how reliable that is.

I was thinking of KCL/UCL/Warwick/Southampton/Sussex. But now I get the feeling I am aiming too high. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    My understanding is that KCL is slightly easier to get into for Law than UCL. That's just from what I have heard on here though, so I am not sure how reliable that is.

I was thinking of KCL/UCL/Warwick/Southampton/Sussex. But now I get the feeling I am aiming too high. :facepalm:
    I would take out KCL or UCL, and add either Manchester/Birmingham/QMUL/Exeter/Nottingham/Bristol etc, i.e. something similar. You could add another LNAT uni.

Don't worry, I don't think you're aiming too high.

ReputationRep:
    I would take out KCL or UCL, and add either Manchester/Birmingham/QMUL/Exeter/Nottingham/Bristol etc, i.e. something similar. You could add another LNAT uni.

Don't worry, I don't think you're aiming too high.
    Not sure, I really do get mixed opinions on here. :sigh:

Yeah, I have to think about that 4th choice carefully. :hmmm:

Or I could do the incredibly stupid thing some people have done and apply to 4 top choices and one lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    I think everyone gets mixed opinions on here, but just remember that they are only opinions, and not cold hard facts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03dowerl)
    I think everyone gets mixed opinions on here, but just remember that they are only opinions, and not cold hard facts
    That's true! It's just so hard figuring out what to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)

Yeah, I have to think about that 4th choice carefully. :hmmm:

Or I could do the incredibly stupid thing some people have done and apply to 4 top choices and one lower.
    What are your actual AS subjects, and what will you carry on to A2? You have to bear in mind that some subjects are more attractive to some unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    That's true! It's just so hard figuring out what to do!
    Just do what you wanna do. I've come to realise that people on this website are really just gassed up and dpn't know what they are talking about or they knew abit about what they are talking about. This site is just fall of urban rumours and will always give you conflicting messages and leave you unnecessarily worries. If your really worried then just get into contact with admissions tutors rather than just some 17 year olds on this site who got all their knowlegde on this site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Yeah! I know someone who's applied to 4 LNAT unis...the only one that wasn't was Cambridge. :p:

Pretty risky but he's got guts i'll give him that.

ReputationRep:
    What are your actual AS subjects, and what will you carry on to A2? You have to bear in mind that some subjects are more attractive to some unis.

Year 12 (attempt one, with mitigating circumstances)

Philosophy - C
    English literature - C (awaiting re mark, teacher said it should be a B)
    Biology - E
    General studies - B

Year 12 (attempt two, doing this year)

History
    Sociology
    Philosophy (re sitting my C up to an A)

A2
    History
    Philosophy
    Sociology

Dropped at As
    English lit - Hopefully a B.
    General studies - B
    Biology (fifth subject) - E

Overall, fingers crossed: AAABBE at As.

(Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    Just do what you wanna do. I've come to realise that people on this website are really just gassed up and dpn't know what they are talking about or they knew abit about what they are talking about. This site is just fall of urban rumours and will always give you conflicting messages and leave you unnecessarily worries. If your really worried then just get into contact with admissions tutors rather than just some 17 year olds on this site who got all their knowlegde on this site
    Yea. I have contacted admissions tutors before but they seem to give such vague advise! They did tell me that they wouldn't care/look at the E grade at As, though, as it's a fifth subject. Hence me not re sitting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)

Year 12 (attempt one, with mitigating circumstances)

Philosophy - C
    English literature - C (awaiting re mark, teacher said it should be a B)
    Biology - E
    General studies - B

Year 12 (attempt two, doing this year)

History
    Sociology
    Philosophy (re sitting my C up to an A)

A2
    History
    Philosophy
    Sociology

Dropped at As
    English lit - Hopefully a B.
    General studies - B
    Biology (fifth subject) - E

Overall, fingers crossed: AAABBE at As.

Yea. I have contacted admissions tutors before but they seem to give such vague advise! They did tell me that they wouldn't care/look at the E grade at As, though, as it's a fifth subject. Hence me not re sitting it.
    Lol he in die r'd me.

Anyway, you have to bear in mind that your subjects aren't particularly the most attractive for certain uni's.

ReputationRep:
    Lol he in die r'd me.

Anyway, you have to bear in mind that your subjects aren't particularly the most attractive for certain uni's.

Only sociology isn't the most attractive. What else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Only sociology isn't the most attractive. What else?
    Was meant to say one of your subjects isn't the best, and that's sociology.

ReputationRep:
    Was meant to say one of your subjects isn't the best, and that's sociology.
    Yea, I know that and UCL told me it didn't matter because the other two are strong. As far as I'm aware, they do not have back list?

ReputationRep:
    Out of the universities you've suggested, I'd personally say Southampton. Although I don't study Law, OR go to Southampton A LOT of my friends go there, and I've visited them and it's amazing. The university is fantastic and the location is good too and my friend studies Law there and said that he'd left the lecture absolutely buzzing because the way they give the lectures is outstanding. Good luck with whatever!

P.S. LSE isn't a wasted choice unless you think you can't get into your other four universities or that you really want to apply somewhere else, there's no harm in trying. ANOTHER one of my friends studies Economics there and I believe his grades were the same, if not slightly lower, as yours x x x x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superfrank)
    P.S. LSE isn't a wasted choice unless you think you can't get into your other four universities or that you really want to apply somewhere else, there's no harm in trying. ANOTHER one of my friends studies Economics there and I believe his grades were the same, if not slightly lower, as yours x x x x x
    Thank you! That has lifted my spirits a bit!
    I think I might contact the admissions tutor and see what he/she suggests.

I know that this is only one opinion, but it's nice to have a bit of reassurance and a few diverse views about my choices

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    So I take it you're re taking and aiming for AAA?

I'm applying to UCL next year and it will be my top choice. Currently doing a re sit year myself but it's year 12 not 13. Fingers crossed I'll get AAA, already have a few other As subjects but i've dropped them.

What were your As grades/subjects and GCSE's?
    when i contacted ucl they said they dont accept students who have resit subjects. Unless due to great illness or family tragedy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmarcher)
    when i contacted ucl they said they dont accept students who have resit subjects. Unless due to great illness or family tragedy.
    I have a reason : illness/family problems.

ReputationRep:
    Now I just need to pick 2 out of:
    UEA, Southampton, Sussex and Kent

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 6, 2009

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.