Turn on thread page Beta

How dangerous is London? Going by UK show Adulthood... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubyjane)
    Also, Croydon is definitely not London.
    You're kind of right, but Croydon is classed as being in London and Surrey, for some reason, just like Bromley is in both Kent and London. I'm not really sure why it's like that, but meh.

ReputationRep:
    So, you've never actually lived anywhere in East London?
    I go to watch the Hammers play every home game, I'm fully aware of the area around mate, just we all hear certain areas that are better/worse in terms of yob violence...from the messages I get and the chat that goes around these are the zones which i'd advise to avoid at night. Also, Hackney (with exception of Croydon and Brixton) is probably one of the hotspots for gun crime and theft in London...
    If you dont believe me, go on http://maps.met.police.uk/ and then search under crime times "most serious violence" and Hackney is one of the darker zones.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the time, you will only find trouble if you go looking for it. Iv seen Adulthood and it's prequal Kidulthood. You got to rememebr it was set in the slums, and most of the people chose to be heavily involved in drugs and gangs.

ReputationRep:
    Ilford? Rough? Looooool

Ilford's not even proper London anyway.

ReputationRep:
    1. Adulthood is a film, DRAMATISED...Erm hello? In watched Boyz In The Hood, doesnt mean I'm not going to L.A :|
    2. London is like most cities, there are some parts which aren't desirable, but if you keep on your ps and qs you'll be fine. The crime rate in the states is larger, so do more research other than basing opinions on films and then make an informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)
    Just watched a show called Adulthood and I was shocked at how violent some punks are in the UK. They also looked ethnic too. Where are some of your immigrants from? Here in the States our gangs are largely Mexican, African American and Asian. It just looked strange to me that London could be so dangerous in certain sectors. I hope it was just exaggerated for TV.

If I were to ever visit London, what are some places that I should I just totally avoid?
    lol London is pretty safe mate, as is all of the UK. You can walk through the dogiest areas in the country and the chances are you'll be fine, it's not Afghanistan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    Where and when will you next be walking alone in the dark?
    Nowhere near you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    I've always wondered why they have a tourist information centre right by the station. I mean do people go down to visit the Nestle factory?!
    ...Nestle factory? I have no idea, it's probably for the poor, lost tourists who ended up there by mistake and need to get out quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosNelski90)
    If you're from the States, then the gang violence here is nothing compared to the likes of the Brotherhood, Crips/Bloods, Mexican Cartels etc etc...
    However, some areas can get pretty tasty at night so here's the ones you need to avoid if you hope to still have your wallet and phone at the end of a hard day at uni...

1. South London: CROYDON/BRIXTON/ROTHERHITHE
    2. West London: HAYES END/WHITE CITY/WEMBLEY
    3. East London: HACKNEY/ILFORD/MILE END/ BOW
    4. North London: TOTTENHAM/EDMONTON/BARNET
    :laugh::jester::rofl::laugh::jester::rofl: :laugh::rofl::laugh::jester::rofl::laugh::jester:

ReputationRep:
    Careful of Ealing man. Get br00tal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosNelski90)
    I go to watch the Hammers play every home game, I'm fully aware of the area around mate, just we all hear certain areas that are better/worse in terms of yob violence...from the messages I get and the chat that goes around these are the zones which i'd advise to avoid at night. Also, Hackney (with exception of Croydon and Brixton) is probably one of the hotspots for gun crime and theft in London...
    If you dont believe me, go on http://maps.met.police.uk/ and then search under crime times "most serious violence" and Hackney is one of the darker zones.

ReputationRep:
    Careful of Ealing man. Get br00tal
    Ealing as about as Ghetto as Buckingham Palace.

ReputationRep:
    No. lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam G Manning)

:rolleyes:

Listen mate; I lived in Mile End last year - It's fine.
    I live in Hackney now (Granted a very nice part of Hackney, just above Victoria Park) - It's fine.
    Also, bear in mind Hackney goes all the way down to Shoreditch and Hoxton.

My flat mate has lived in Hackney his entire life and only ever been mugged in Richmond - twice. He's 34. \
    You can't just put pins in a map and say. "These areas are rough". You can run into trouble anywhere.
    I grew up in Hackney (Dalston) and yea there are some irritating kids and tons of racial groups fighting (Turks/Kurds/Whites/Asian/Yardies/Africans but its ok as long as you can hold your own or stay out the way.

Ive never had a problem in Hackney but have had my mates ****** about in Camden and personally had people pissing me off in Finsbury Park/Tottenham.

I'm sure London is just as bad as Glasgow or some other big city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    I grew up in Hackney (Dalston) and yea there are some irritating kids and tons of racial groups fighting (Turks/Kurds/Whites/Asian/Yardies/Africans but its ok as long as you can hold your own or stay out the way.

Ive never had a problem in Hackney but have had my mates ****** about in Camden and personally had people pissing me off in Finsbury Park/Tottenham.

I'm sure London is just as bad as Glasgow or some other big city.

I'm just sick of the backdoor racism that exist on TSR.

To paraphrase Henry Rollins, "I'm sick of people saying things like, 'I'm not a racist, but those blacks, those Asians.' It's fine if you want to say things about other ethnic groups, but come straight out and say it".

This isn't me having a go at you, per say. More the OP.

Have I had stuff thrown my way in the street in Bethnal Green by Asian lads? Yeah of course I have. But no more than by very, very white kids in Sussex suburbs. Youths are youths, no matter where you go.

ReputationRep:
    You've seen Ross Kemp on gangs, yeah, it's even worse than that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)
    Just watched a show called Adulthood and I was shocked at how violent some punks are in the UK. They also looked ethnic too. Where are some of your immigrants from? Here in the States our gangs are largely Mexican, African American and Asian. It just looked strange to me that London could be so dangerous in certain sectors. I hope it was just exaggerated for TV.

If I were to ever visit London, what are some places that I should I just totally avoid?
    It was exxagerated. I have lived here since 4!! They were jamaican, African and white. It was just a few teens messing about!

ReputationRep:
    Complete crap, I live in Hackney, and have never experienced any kind of crime in my life. People I know who have been mugged/stabbed were basically asking for it by being idiots and hanging around dodgy places at 3 in the morning. Oh and if you have a problem with 'ethnics', London is seriously not the place for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    When I studied American politics last year, all the information we had was telling us that America was actually home to a higher crime rate, particularly for more violent crimes.

I'm from Lewisham originally though, and I've never had a problem, nor has anyone else I know from there. I think the general rule is that you're fine everywhere, unless you act like an idiot.
    Can you define acting like an idiot? Everyone acts a bit douchey sometimes when drunk :o: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubyjane)
    Also, Croydon is definitely not London. What tourist would ever go to Croydon? Actually, who would ever go to Croydon? I've lived in London my entire life and I've never once been to Croydon. N19 all the way.
    Are you actually an idiot. Croydon is the biggest borough in the whole of London. It is pretty much the commercial centre of south london with excellent transport links and its shopping centre is unrivalled. You mean to say that Croydon aint in London when you can get a train into Victoria in 15 mins you absolute eejit. Do you know why you have never been to Croydon. Its cos you live in the hellhole that is North London. I've never been to Barnet but I never deny that its part of London.

n19 skeeeeeen:rolleyes:

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.