Turn on thread page Beta

Manchester derby: Huge in the UK or just Manchester alone watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshyy)
    You honestly don't see any London derbies as bigger than any of those? Laughable
    Nope. Maybe games like the North London or West London derbies as being on the same level as Manchester but certainly no bigger. Not as large as the Old Firm derby (one of the world famous rivalries) and, remembering that there's always going to be a regional bias in these sorts of things, not as big or highly anticipated as Tyne-Wear.

I don't think it's laughable and I think the same is true throughout the country. Are you London-based? Again, there's always a regional bias.

I think a lot of the inter-London rivalry is exaggerated anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    :ditto:

Tyne-Wear
    Old Firm

Merseyside
    Manchester

The rest.

Not saying that's how I view them, not at all, just how I think people (and the media) view them across the region. Not including Tyne-Tees or Wear-Tees as they aren't derbies. Blummin Yorkshiremen :p:
    Yeah, the Tyne-Tees is only a derby depending on context (like last year's game towards the end of the season which essentially relegated the loser) :p: The Tees-Wear is such a pitiful excuse for a derby it's not worth mentioning.

The Old Firm is a big deal because it almost feels like Newcastle vs. Sunderland again. Newcastle fans generally support Celtic on that day, while Sunderland support Rangers, plus it's close to the North East. The other derbies in the country are just more interesting than a standard game, but nothing special. And that's how the rest of the country outside of the North East view the Tyne-Wear derby, so it's all cool

ReputationRep:
    You honestly don't see any London derbies as bigger than any of those? The media paint irons/Wall in bigger derby light. As far as rivalries go, i'd go as far to say that Luton/Watford is just as big as half of those.
    As River said, it's a regional thing. Up here, the London derbies are pretty standard, just a bit more interesting than a regular match. There's only two derbies that are really big talking points up here.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Maybe games like the North London or West London derbies as being on the same level as Manchester but certainly no bigger. Not as large as the Old Firm derby (one of the world famous rivalries) and, remembering that there's always going to be a regional bias in these sorts of things, not as big or highly anticipated as Tyne-Wear.

I don't think it's laughable and I think the same is true throughout the country. Are you London-based? Again, there's always a regional bias.

I guess i'm looking at it more of a historical rivalry and you're looking at it more as 'the most exciting/famous derbys'. Like i said, give me an old school rivalry thats embedded in the area like Watford/Luton, West Ham/Millwall etc. over the big ones any day of the week!

ReputationRep:
    Ditto - no London derby has the same feel about it that either a Manchester / Merseyside one does - there's two major clubs in the city taking on each other, with one half one colour, the other half another colour. Tottenham vs Arsenal is probably as big as it gets, but even then some Tottenham fans would identify us as their main rivals.

ReputationRep:
    I guess i'm looking at it more of a historical rivalry and you're looking at it more as 'the most exciting/famous derbys'. Like i said, give me an old school rivalry thats embedded in the area like Watford/Luton, West Ham/Millwall etc. over the big ones any day of the week!
    West Ham vs Millwall is only popping up again as a big rivarly because of the fixture earlier in the season.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I was taking a more complete view. Yes how famous they are but these are also the traditional ones with an intense (old school) rivalry and often political and/or religious undertones like the Old Firm.

Millwall and West Ham is one derby/rivalry that I don't think is exaggerated and I was going to edit my last post to say that. But the media seem keen to portray any London team against another as being a "London derby" and hype it up. I mean, Chelsea and Arsenal have an intense rivalry? Yeah...right. But, I still don't think the real derbies like North London or West London derbies are all that.

They just aren't really talked about. As Stu said, most Londoners (or Scousers, Mancunians...) don't care much about Newcastle-Sunderland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    West Ham vs Millwall is only popping up again as a big rivarly because of the fixture earlier in the season.
    not just that in the past when they were in the same league together it was the most passionate ,violent,exciting london derbies out of them all. if you watch any football hooligan/ london gangster film. (i.e green street, Cas or the football factory) its always got some reference to millwall/west ham derbies. the reason why there was so much trouble at the last meeting between them is beacuse they havent played each other in years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UrbanJockey101)
    not just that in the past when they were in the same league together it was the most passionate ,violent,exciting london derbies out of them all. if you watch any football hooligan/ london gangster film. (i.e green street, Cas or the football factory) its always got some reference to millwall/west ham derbies. the reason why there was so much trouble at the last meeting between them is beacuse they havent played each other in years.
    Right, i'm not going to look at a football hooligan film starring Danny Dyer in for evidence of a football rivalry. LOL.

ReputationRep:
    Millwall and West Ham is one derby/rivalry that I don't think is exaggerated and I was going to edit my last post to say that. But the media seem keen to portray any London team against another as being a "London derby" and hype it up. I mean, Chelsea and Arsenal have an intense rivalry? Yeah...right. But, I still don't think the real derbies like North London or West London derbies are all that.
    Totally agree with you there, but that's what happens when you have so many clubs in one city. Our three biggest LDN rivals are 'Wall, Tottenham and Chelsea. I want Fulham to do well and i hope Arsenal win the league. It's impossible to hate so many clubs in such a small area.

Correct me if im wrong but in Manc and places it isn't as much the area where you're from but the team you support. I'm sure there's areas where its all City and others where it's all United, but i bet most of it has a mixture. That's why it's not as big imo, it's not based on where you come from. Why fixtures like West Ham/Wall is so big as it's just as much about where you're from as the game (Sorry to keep on going back to the same rivalry haha)

Also i don't know how much you know about southern teams, but look up Luton Watford for a rivalry like what i'm on about. I'm sure you get that up north with lower league teams too though, just i obviously don't know about them.

ReputationRep:
    Derbys (derbies?) only tend to be big in the cities where they take place because it's about bragging rights between you and your friends. There might be a lot of United fans in other parts but I doubt there are that many City fans. In that case, I don't imagine fans elsewhere would see the same kind of rivalry with City or place the same kind of importance on the derby, and might consider matches between their league rivals more important, particularly if it's against a team more local to them - United v Chelsea or Arsenal in the case of someone in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    Cool, watch the passion in this video then tell me that it's not the biggest in the south. You're lucky to get a round of applause at the Emirates from half the crowd if they score against Tottenham.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osRbWAvmQLE

Just Manchester alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    The Old Firm is a lot more significant outside of football, because it has huge political and cultural connotations.

Within football, the Manchester derby has the advantage of being a case of one traditionally successful club, who earned their place in the tables after decades of talented management, against another who simply bought it. It's symbolically a case of old football vs new football, which probably makes it more relevant to the sport.
    I'd say your attempt to cast United as the hero and City as the villain of the piece is probably at odds with how most neutrals perceive it, even now.

And you could take the alternative view of it being a case of a clash between a huge corporate megalith supported by day-trippers from around the world, versus a 'real' football club supported mostly by locals with affordable ticket prices.

Admittedly, the latter perception probably rings a little less true now City are super-rich too. But it's no more fanciful and exaggerated than yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar_king)
    Derbys (derbies?) only tend to be big in the cities where they take place because it's about bragging rights between you and your friends. There might be a lot of United fans in other parts but I doubt there are that many City fans. In that case, I don't imagine fans elsewhere would see the same kind of rivalry with City or place the same kind of importance on the derby, and might consider matches between their league rivals more important, particularly if it's against a team more local to them - United v Chelsea or Arsenal in the case of someone in London.
    Well the idea that there aren't City fans from outside Manchester or the UK is a bit of an urban myth really, we've people from Estonia, Ireland, Italy, Australia and loads from the US on Bluemoon.

But it is probably true that foreign United fans see Liverpool as a bigger rivalry because they aren't located in Manchester and don't have the banter at work etc etc

This isn't the case with foreign City fans though because no matter which way you look at it, United are our main rivals and there isn't really another one to compare.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty massive in Dublin, and the crowd is generally not much in Utd's favour. It's some good craic, though.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.footballfanscensus.com/is...ed_Results.pdf

Nice read on rivalries, although dunno how the data was taken. Interesting part about how BOTH sets of fans see it - got to take that into account.

No Liverpool/Everton, Man City/Man United. There was Toon/Sunderland, West Ham/Wall, Luton/Watford though.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, watch the passion in this video then tell me that it's not the biggest in the south. You're lucky to get a round of applause at the Emirates from half the crowd if they score against Tottenham.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osRbWAvmQLE
    That's b*****ks mate, Arsenal v spurs this season was one of the best atmospheres ive seen at the grove since we moved there and better than most matches ive been to involving other sides. The stadium was rocking and people were going mental when the second goal went in straight after the first, people were going over the seats and was reminiscent of times on the terraces (which in all honesty was surprising considering we usually have toffs who sit on their hands or read the paper)

For games like spurs united chelsea liverpool etc... the atmosphere in the grove can be as good as any other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    It's pretty massive in Dublin, and the crowd is generally not much in Utd's favour. It's some good craic, though.
    really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    It would be better to look at it from an outside UK perspective. For example we see the Milan derby as being massive. The Manchester derby is probably the biggest in our country to an outsider.
    IMO, Barca v Madrid is bigger than the Milan derby. But Inter V AC is a close second.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.