Organ Donation - Creepy? Watch

Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am a registered donor for all organs and proud - I simply won't need them after death, and my family respect that. I hope that it simply won't be necessary in time though, and that medical science can continue to make progress in growing 100%-compatible organs from donor stem cells. Still - I stand ready to give everything I've got should it be required by someone else in pain.

I'm a bit squeamish about giving blood, though. I've been meaning to go and try it some time, but not only can I not find the time to go do it, I can't find the courage to do so either
loopykitten!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Organ donation is only creepy if its dont Monty Python style
Live Organ Transplant any one?
Steverockin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kaykiie)
Inyourendo

:awesome:

haha love that
Kittykatkat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am on the register and when I'm dead all my organs are yours if you want them (you're probably going to want to avoid the liver, just a heads up). I wouldn't accept an organ unless I had kids that were still children though.
SomeStudent
Badges: 14
Report 8 years ago
What I don't understand about this, is how can they use your organs if you're already dead?? If you die, that means your organs stop working as well right? So how can they use them?

Or maybe they operate on you before you die :erm:
Let's say you're in an accident and they give you ~10% of chance to live. They see you're on the organ donation list and a patient at the same hospital who needs an organ has 50% to live (if they do the surgery asap). Would the surgeon operate on you and save the other patient, even though you had 10% to live?

This might sound silly, but I've heard couple of stories about organ donation couple of years ago and somehow the whole thing does not appeal to me anymore :o:
Kittykatkat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SomeStudent)
What I don't understand about this, is how can they use your organs if you're already dead?? If you die, that means your organs stop working as well right? So how can they use them?

Let's say you're in an accident and they give you ~10% of chance to live. They see you're on the organ donation list and a patient at the same hospital who needs an organ has 50% to live (if they do the surgery asap). Would the surgeon operate on you and save the other patient, even though you had 10% to live?

This might sound silly, but I've heard couple of stories about organ donation couple of years ago and somehow the whole thing does not appeal to me anymore :o:
Once you're dead they put you on a life support machine to keep your body physically still working but you have already been pronounced dead.
Right>Left
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Any remember the israel thread on this and everyone was so anti israel because of organs
Psyk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think I'm an organ donor. I remember there was a box you could tick on the provisional driver's licence form.

I think there should be a tick box to become an organ donor on electoral register forms. That way when someone turns 18 they get an option for it straight away. Even better, a tick box to say you don't want to donate them, just in case people are too lazy to tick a box.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SomeStudent)
Because the patient's heart and lungs are kept going on ITU until they can be taken to theatre. Depending on circumstances, they may even start the operation while the patient's heart is still beating, as this gives much better chance of the organs surviving intact.

See this post I made ages ago which would explain why this just doesn't ever happen. Even if your chance of survival was only 10% (though one can never calculate these things accurately) that's enough of a chance to persevere with your treatment.
riz1234
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
a mate of mine is studying medicine and last week cut open a human body - i believe the term is dissecting. apparently a lot of people donate their bodies every year to be used by med students. if thats not creepy and perverted i dont know what is!
ChunkymunkyDJC
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think the guy above me is legit. Srs.

I'm on the donor list; take everything My friend is on it but she refuses to give any part of her eye, and all her arguments are completely irrational.
truthandtragedy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm on the register. I thought it was a bit weird until I actually realised that once I'm dead, I don't need my organs hah. I didn't like the idea of bits of me being taken out and given to other people, but then I got a grip and decided that if I'm already dead, then it only makes sense to help others have a better chance of living should they require my organs.

I think everyone should be a donor. I don't see any reasons why not to.
lastplace
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ilovecoffee)
ive just requested a brain donation pack from the parkinsons society. so no i have no issues f organ donation being creepy
Good on you.

I'm on the register for everything. I dont imagine I'll need any of it when I'm gone.
ily_em
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have. I don't get why everyone seems to find donating eyes creepy though!
cmdeacon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JammyDodger4)
I just signed up for the organ donation register.

Just wondering if any other people have, and what they think about it?

Personally, I won't be using the organs when I die, so others are welcome to give them a go.
I do find the though of my eyes being donated a bit odd though.....

Delightful.
yeh i have and i find it a bit weird- about the eye donation but when my granny died she gave her eyes and they gave sight to a 19 year old i think which i thought was pretty damn cool

also given blood yet?
lookitsdanhunt
Report 8 years ago
I am a registered donor. I don't think its creepy. I'd rather that than either burn or decompose in the ground!
Stella476
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by heidigirl)
You do know it doesn't work like that, right? :rolleyes: You can only be an organ donor in very specific conditions, namely when there's brain-stem death but the doctors can keep you alive on life-support (your organs become useless very quickly after you're dead). Very few organs can be donated when you're actually completely dead (corneas, skin, bone...sometimes kidneys). So if you get in a car accident and die there and then they won't be giving many of your organs away to anyone.

And yes, in the UK you can opt to give only certain organs but I think most people just go for the 'everything' option.
I know it is not what happens generally, but there was one case here in the states where they had issues with this. I don't remember the news cast but I think it was reported by thedenverchannel.com. It was years ago though.
And this certainly is not a deterrent for me. I am all for organ donation!

And that is interesting. Good to know.
Stella476
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by heidigirl)
"Isn’t this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex wonderfully unfathomable world? How does it so fail to hold our attention that we have to diminish it with the invention of cheap, man-made myths and monsters?"

From Tim Minchin's 9 minute beat-poem, 'Storm'
Also, high five for your Tim Minchin quote! He is, unfortunately, not very popular here. I love him! :yep:
cardine92
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Stella476)
I know it is not what happens generally, but there was one case here in the states where they had issues with this. I don't remember the news cast but I think it was reported by thedenverchannel.com. It was years ago though.
And this certainly is not a deterrent for me. I am all for organ donation!

And that is interesting. Good to know.
Afaik, paramedics are not allowed to pronounce someone dead. And since here we have the NHS they certainly wouldn't be doing it for the money :p:

edit: + I love Tim Minchin
JammyDodger4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by cmdeacon)
yeh i have and i find it a bit weird- about the eye donation but when my granny died she gave her eyes and they gave sight to a 19 year old i think which i thought was pretty damn cool

also given blood yet?
I just find it a strange thought. But due to my horrific eyesight, i doubt mine would be needed.

Nah, it is something i want to do, but i never realise when it is...
You?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.49%
No (450)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.78%

Watched Threads