Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For a country that focuses on society as a whole above the individuals they havent done so bad last 20 years!! And its likely to become the no 1 world super power the way things are going!

Compared to UK and US where we are focused TOTALLY on individualism and personal rights, look where its got us???

We should be taking a leaf out of thier book to progress our society!! and to think we spent almost 50 years hating and knocking the commies as a major threat!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    I'm boycotting Britain because they love invading other people's countries!
    Oh do be quiet.

a) you live in Britain so I think it would be a tad difficult to boycott it.
    b) Thanks to the British Empire, we became vastly wealthy and our citizens still live like kings and queens compared to much of the rest of the world (most of the Chinese are peasants). That is a quality of life that you also enjoy.

P.S. That nonsense in your location is quite frankly laughable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassylady)
    North Korea's worse than China, I know that, but I'm assuming you didn't read the first line of the post. I wasn't given the opportunity to work in NK. If I was, I wouldn't go there either.
    You know? How could you? About 98% of all that you can find in the international media about North Korea is non-sense. Talk to people (yes, foreigners) that have lived there. Or organisations that do development work in North Korea. The US Peace Corps for example.

Same about your China comments. After all that Britain has done to China (and lots of other countries) in the past... oh, well. Nevermind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by An Original Username)
    Good shout. But even if he was British, he still broke Chinese law, and hence was subject to Chinese punishment. Yes, it's fair enough that people may feel that he should have received a lesser punishment, as they are used to the British system, and believed that he was British. But China did not murder him.

They strictly enforced their law on narcotics, which is perfectly just, and that should be commended if anything. The British have no right in pressuring China to go easy on offenders, especially after looking at the history of Britain and the narcotics trade, as well as the Opium Wars. It's this institutionalised acceptance of drug use in Britain that China wants to avoid.
    It's nothing to do with the severity of the punishment, and more to do with the fact that capital punishment (at least in the civilised world) is completely unjustifiable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    I'm boycotting Britain because they love invading other people's countries!
    Like... Hong Kong?

Edit: I'm an idiot. I really thought... well. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grt)
    Like... Hong Kong?
    It's thanks to us that Hong Kong's so bloody successful now; same with Singapore.

ReputationRep:
    This summer, I was given the opportunity to go to China and teach English there with a friend of my mother's. I turned it down, not because I don't think it would be a good opportunity, but because I'm on a 'boycott' of China. I know I'll still have to buy Chinese goods etc, but I refuse to give the country my tourism.

I see China as comprising part of the uncivilised world, owing to its appalling record on human rights and censorship within its borders. The fact that they executed one of our citizens last year reaffirmed this to me. What they do to their own citizens is their own business, but when they murdered a British person they lost the last scrap of respect that I had for them. I don't think he should have been let free, but imprisoned for life in a harsh Chinese jail.

Therefore, I think that working in a country like that would result in me supporting a vile regime. I would be going from a superior country to there, and would be risking my safety.

Do you think I'm silly in holding these views?
    So you're saying that you lost respect for them because they stick to their morals? Or, perhaps, this lack of respect you talk of comes from the fact that they behave differently to you? I'm sure they'll note your boycott and modify their behaviour accordingly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunwolf)
    It's nothing to do with the severity of the punishment, and more to do with the fact that capital punishment (at least in the civilised world) is completely unjustifiable.
    But that's what you are used to, what you have been taught. In another country, this may not be the case. Just because something from another country that does not apply in this country doesn't mean they are uncivilised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Everything cheap is manufactured there
    You're aware of the fact that this is a) a huge exaggeration and b) less true with every breath we take... China's 'outsourcing' cheap labour manufacturing (= cheap products) on a major scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grt)
    You know? How could you? About 98% of all that you can find in the international media about North Korea is non-sense. Talk to people (yes, foreigners) that have lived there. Or organisations that do development work in North Korea. The US Peace Corps for example.

Same about your China comments. After all that Britain has done to China (and lots of other countries) in the past... oh, well. Nevermind.
    Although I'm not the OP, I think to try and say that the 'Democratic People's Republic' of North Korea is OK is quite frankly laughable.

a) It has public executions for crimes such as embezzlement
    b) Foreigners who enter the country are under strict surveillance (presumably so that the populace don't get to hear of our superior lifestyles)
    c) NK citizens are not even allowed to travel freely across the country, let alone outside of it
    d) This is amongst a vast number of other human rights breaches.

North Korea makes China look like bloody utopia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    yes. if you were angry about human rights, why not north korea? oh yeah, its not sensational enough. what a stupid question. They were not wrong to execute that man. It was their law, everytime you go on a plane you are asked if you are carrying anything that you have not packed yourself. He lied. So he died. Mental illness or not.
    This person is actually right.

Harsh as it may seem, the person choose freely to go into their country and therefore choose to live by their Laws.

However, I still don't like China one bit. There are so many reasons as to why, but that is aside the point.

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm not the OP, I think to try and say that the 'Democratic People's Republic' of North Korea is OK is quite frankly laughable.

a) It has public executions for crimes such as embezzlement
    b) Foreigners who enter the country are under strict surveillance (presumably so that the populace don't get to hear of our superior lifestyles)
    c) NK citizens are not even allowed to travel freely across the country, let alone outside of it
    d) This is amongst a vast number of other human rights breaches.

North Korea makes China look like bloody utopia.
    I don't disagree with you in general terms. All I'm saying is that you should stop starting troll-like discussions on (mainstream) media knowledge (at most). Not here, not in real life. It's annoying. And useless.

What I know from people that have been in North Korea (and don't hesitate to criticise the administration harshly in some cases) is very different to what global media is suggesting. So, whom do I trust? Surely not the media alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    yes. if you were angry about human rights, why not north korea? oh yeah, its not sensational enough. what a stupid question. They were not wrong to execute that man. It was their law, everytime you go on a plane you are asked if you are carrying anything that you have not packed yourself. He lied. So he died. Mental illness or not.
    there was no concrete evidence that he killed him other than his own testimony, which was as prone to change as his mood. Either way, Capital Punishment is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Oh do be quiet.

a) you live in Britain so I think it would be a tad difficult to boycott it.
    b) Thanks to the British Empire, we became vastly wealthy and our citizens still live like kings and queens compared to much of the rest of the world (most of the Chinese are peasants). That is a quality of life that you also enjoy.

P.S. That nonsense in your location is quite frankly laughable.
    they're mostly peasants? im sorry, where did you get your source of information from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisi.x)
    they're mostly peasants? im sorry, where did you get your source of information from?
    My own knowledge.

Care to disprove it if it offends you so much?

ReputationRep:
    The fact that they executed one of our citizens last year reaffirmed this to me. What they do to their own citizens is their own business, but when they murdered a British person they lost the last scrap of respect that I had for them.
    Why should foreigners in China be exempt from punishments that their own citizens can be sentenced to? Does that seem fair to you?

ReputationRep:
    This summer, I was given the opportunity to go to China and teach English there with a friend of my mother's. I turned it down, not because I don't think it would be a good opportunity, but because I'm on a 'boycott' of China. I know I'll still have to buy Chinese goods etc, but I refuse to give the country my tourism.

I see China as comprising part of the uncivilised world, owing to its appalling record on human rights and censorship within its borders. The fact that they executed one of our citizens last year reaffirmed this to me. What they do to their own citizens is their own business, but when they murdered a British person they lost the last scrap of respect that I had for them. I don't think he should have been let free, but imprisoned for life in a harsh Chinese jail.

Therefore, I think that working in a country like that would result in me supporting a vile regime. I would be going from a superior country to there, and would be risking my safety.

Hi, i was going to write a proper piece on what i think about your post/ stance, but before i do- Can I ask what drives you in life? And how you want to live?

ReputationRep:
    Having lived in China I can understand where they are coming from with some of their laws, traditions, culture and way of lives. You have your opinion of China but you do not know there side, they may feel that Britain is a soft and push over country where there is no real justice. You will never know whether the man who was executed was bipolar, so why over think this when you are young and have the chance to explore the world and different countries and cultures.

ReputationRep:
    gonna boycott their products too?

I'D LIKE TO SEE YOU TRY! BWAHAHAHAAH!! MUHAHAHA!

...seriously though, plastic toys...china. Many electronics...china, usb gadgets...hong kong, seriously if it's a USB gadget, HONG KONG. USB? HONG KONG.:yep: :p:

ReputationRep:

of course you are silly. i'm sure china, the worlds biggest economy, will not miss out on your tourism, you are the only loser as you won't have the experience

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.