Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by reems23)
    You're a Muslim. You won't have much luck talking to them. Wait 'til they're dead.
    Are you assuming I'm a Muslim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Are you assuming I'm a Muslim?
    Yes. Should I not? sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No offence, but I don't have a clue what you're waffling about.
    Then read again?

(Original post by sonya_x)
    Then read again?
    It's ok, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Both my parents believed in God, but my mom had this whole "search for the truth" crisis a few years back, and since then I've decided religion is really a waste of time and faith... It has hugely contributed to most of the major conflicts in the past (and currently), and, I dunno, I just don't buy into it....? It's not even like the whole "I'm just more logical than you" egotistic thing, it's more that I just don't believe it anymore. I mean, how the heck can you even know that you're in the right religious group anyways? Just thinking about the whole think is sort of, idk... So this (apparently super self-absorbed) mythical being creates an entire universe in order to create THIS earth, to put a superior race on it whose sole purpose is to Praise him? And then, if you don't worship him you are threatened with the prospect of an eternity in HELL, which nobody wants... And if you happened to be born to parents who follow Hinduism (or anything else), then you're screwed... And plus, this "God" apparently wasn't the nicest guy to begin with (Noah's Ark, anyone??) So yeah.. I was talking with a friend of mine the other day, and we were discussing who deserves to go to heaven more: a Christian who does good things, and helps everyone out, or an atheist who does the same?? We both came to the conclusion that the atheist deserves it more, because he was a good person, and did good deeds without expecting to get anything in return, while the Christian did it to save themselves a spot in paradise ..... And that's the whole point, right??

"God: He talked to some Christians, he talked to some Jews, and he talked to some Muslims, and ended up causing more death and destruction than anyone else in history... And people wonder why he doesn't talk to us anymore"

ReputationRep:
    I wish I did but logic won't let me

So I'm agnostic lol

(Original post by Juliedrulie18)
    Both my parents believed in God, but my mom had this whole "search for the truth" crisis a few years back, and since then I've decided religion is really a waste of time and faith... It has hugely contributed to most of the major conflicts in the past (and currently), and, I dunno, I just don't buy into it....? It's not even like the whole "I'm just more logical than you" egotistic thing, it's more that I just don't believe it anymore. I mean, how the heck can you even know that you're in the right religious group anyways? Just thinking about the whole think is sort of, idk... So this (apparently super self-absorbed) mythical being creates an entire universe in order to create THIS earth, to put a superior race on it whose sole purpose is to Praise him? And then, if you don't worship him you are threatened with the prospect of an eternity in HELL, which nobody wants... And if you happened to be born to parents who follow Hinduism (or anything else), then you're screwed... And plus, this "God" apparently wasn't the nicest guy to begin with (Noah's Ark, anyone??) So yeah.. I was talking with a friend of mine the other day, and we were discussing who deserves to go to heaven more: a Christian who does good things, and helps everyone out, or an atheist who does the same?? We both came to the conclusion that the atheist deserves it more, because he was a good person, and did good deeds without expecting to get anything in return, while the Christian did it to save themselves a spot in paradise ..... And that's the whole point, right??

"God: He talked to some Christians, he talked to some Jews, and he talked to some Muslims, and ended up causing more death and destruction than anyone else in history... And people wonder why he doesn't talk to us anymore"
    You summed up my feelings in one

(Original post by tazarooni89)
    I'm interested in what you mean by that - have you got any examples for me?
    I'm curious too.

ReputationRep:
    No. The idea of God to me is ridiculous. Religion is for people who lack confidence in what they do in life, and need guidance to support them. Religious people use religion to reassure themselves that what they are doing is right.

ReputationRep:
    I think of all the religions, Buddhism makes the most sense.

ReputationRep:
    I think I do, but I have my issues with organised religion and certain traditions. It just seems very man made, like it was something that was used in the past to control people (maybe like our laws now). I suppose I'm just working things out right now.

ReputationRep:
    No. I just can't bring myself to believe in something that I have no evidence for the existence of.

ReputationRep:
    I think of myself as an anti-theist ie; I believe the idea of a God is bad. I decided for myself whether I believed in God but I guess that was aided by 'nurture' as my family is not religious. I see no proof of a God, as Epicurus said, " Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? "

ReputationRep:
    nope, although i wish there was one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I'm interested in what you mean by that - have you got any examples for me?
    I didn't bring my textbook on the argument to university so I'm not entirely sure.
    However, I think the 6 under 'Premise' here may be them...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe

I must admit, though, not being a physicist I've been more concerned with the logic of the fine tuning argument than the premises. :p:

ReputationRep:
    My brother described it as a controlling device for idiots and my Dad said that if people want to believe in something nice at the end of everything then that's entirely up to them. I agree with both of them. If there is a God, then by using the rational thought process that He supposedly gave me I don't like Him or His work. If He's real and wants to punish me for eternity then He doesn't really measure up to the description fed to me by other people who themselves were fed that very same information by other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gardocki)
    My brother described it as a controlling device for idiots and my Dad said that if people want to believe in something nice at the end of everything then that's entirely up to them. I agree with both of them. If there is a God, then by using the rational thought process that He supposedly gave me I don't like him or his work. If He's real and wants to punish me for eternity then He doesn't really measure up to the description fed to me by other people who themselves were fed that very same information by other people.
    This is very similar to my idea only I apply it to religion more than the idea of God, it's unusual for a smart person to believe in God which kinda makes you wonder why so many Americans are religious - it's the most religious industrialised nation.

ReputationRep:
    I do not believe in God, because I am not an idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    This is very similar to my idea only I apply it to religion more than the idea of God, it's unusual for a smart person to believe in God which kinda makes you wonder why so many Americans are religious - it's the most religious industrialised nation.
    The only religious people whose beliefs I respect are those that have grown up without religious parents. Otherwise, for me at least, they are as stupid and as wrong as people who would swear blind that blue was red if their parents told them that it was the case.

ReputationRep:
    If he is there, then God believes in me. That means by probability I exist more than God does, ergo on average also more powerful.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.