Getting sacked at Tesco Watch

This discussion is closed.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NStocks)
So I've just rung my work up ( tesco ) and told them that I won't be able to make my shift today ( 2pm - 10pm ) because of Uni work and deadlines etc. I apologised for it many times. She told me that I will be given a disciplinary and this could lead to been sacked because I have not for-filled my contract and that I don't care about my job...

I had 3 weeks off when uni started ( I work one day a week, so that's 3 weeks ) because I didn't have a proper timetable, and they wasn't that bothered. Today I was spoken to quite rudely and she ( my manager) said that they are short staffed and " I know how it is on the night shift" I said yes, there are about 4 people on between 8pm and 10pm, how is that my fault. She then went on about saying if I rung earlier they could have got someone to cover me ( I know, this is true ) She then asked me to come in, basically threatening me by saying " If you don't come in today you will suffer the consequences" Now I've never been told off before, and having a few days off in almost 2 years is fairly reliable, though she said it is not at all reliable!!!

I'm dreading next Saturday now, they like to make a fool out of you at my store, but I've read my Tesco handbook and it says that you must ring 2 hours before the sift starts ( which I did ) and if you keep taking days off WITHOUT ringing, you will face a disciplinary. Since this is my first disciplinary ( if it comes to that ) they can't sack me can they ? I know that they have dropped a few people's hours because they " can't afford it " but I've heard from other employees that they took 7 days off without ringing, and they still work there.

I'm also with the USDAW, which is the union so if they try and sack me, I can appeal and get help from the union.

Thank You for your input, now I need to work !
the usual procedure is a verbal warning a written warning a formal warning and then being sacked most people have some sort of disciplinary at some point in their life if after 6 month they don't give you another it's usually written off as a blip.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
we had a guy at work he worked about 3 days in 3 weeks after 2 months in which he'd worked 5 days he had a meeting with the managers, before which he asked "are they going to fire me" they were but the MD gave him a final chance which he squandered and got fired.

but to be fair your not that bad are you
monkeyman1990
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You should have at least given 24 hours notice. What does your contract say on this issue? This can amount to gross negligence, which in some cases can lead to outright dismissal. Next time, call in sick!
Access01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I failed to give 2 hrs notice due to being up all night with gastric problems and woke up late, I called them 1 hr before my shift started.Will I get in trouble.
unrecognisable
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Just gunna reignite this with a tesco related rant.

Im having a disciplinary for being off ill two weekends since September.
WHAT THE HECK.
I work Saturdays and Sundays only, so if I'm ill to the extent I can't come in then I'm probably not going to make the Sunday. If i was working a Monday, Friday this would obviously be different however apparently now being ill on two occasions is "unacceptable" and I'm having a disciplinary! THIS PLACE IS A JOKE.
SoggyPizza
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Find another job. If you have 2+ braincells you can do better anyway.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by eilidhchambe)
Just gunna reignite this with a tesco related rant.

Im having a disciplinary for being off ill two weekends since September.
WHAT THE HECK.
I work Saturdays and Sundays only, so if I'm ill to the extent I can't come in then I'm probably not going to make the Sunday. If i was working a Monday, Friday this would obviously be different however apparently now being ill on two occasions is "unacceptable" and I'm having a disciplinary! THIS PLACE IS A JOKE.
Whenever you have a disciplinary, the best advice is to go in humble and contrite. I am incredibly apologetic; I understand the problem caused for you ...

The "mistake" people often make is to go in with enmity or thinking they know it all. Later they end up asking themselves why they got the sack.
unrecognisable
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
Whenever you have a disciplinary, the best advice is to go in humble and contrite. I am incredibly apologetic; I understand the problem caused for you ...

The "mistake" people often make is to go in with enmity or thinking they know it all. Later they end up asking themselves why they got the sack.
I am aware of this which I fully did today. I definitely agree that it’s best to be humble- it’s been escalated to a disciplinary because of ‘procedure’ based on my percentage. The procedure obviously has bad flaws if it allows this to happen! The bit where I really had to bite my lip was when they asked me if I had another job and I said yes - HCA at the hospital. They asked me how long my shifts were and I said 12 hours every now and then. They then said to me at the end - maybe you should rethink hospital shifts and you wouldn’t get ill if you weren’t doing 12 hour shifts there! Meanwhile they’re perfectly happy to get us to do 12 hour shifts in Tesco. Bloody cheek!!! We stack shelves for God’s sake
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Liam Doberman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Why not just quit and spend your days playing nursery style games with adults with a mental age of 2 years old? :rolleyes:
unrecognisable
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Liam Doberman)
Why not just quit and spend your days playing nursery style games with adults with a mental age of 2 years old? :rolleyes:
(Original post by SoggyPizza)
Find another job. If you have 2+ braincells you can do better anyway.
Pay and a half on Sunday which, incidentally, they are slashing because apparently pay decreases are a thing at tesco
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by NStocks)
So I've just rung my work up ( tesco ) and told them that I won't be able to make my shift today ( 2pm - 10pm ) because of Uni work and deadlines etc. I apologised for it many times. She told me that I will be given a disciplinary and this could lead to been sacked because I have not for-filled my contract and that I don't care about my job...

I had 3 weeks off when uni started ( I work one day a week, so that's 3 weeks ) because I didn't have a proper timetable, and they wasn't that bothered. Today I was spoken to quite rudely and she ( my manager) said that they are short staffed and " I know how it is on the night shift" I said yes, there are about 4 people on between 8pm and 10pm, how is that my fault. She then went on about saying if I rung earlier they could have got someone to cover me ( I know, this is true ) She then asked me to come in, basically threatening me by saying " If you don't come in today you will suffer the consequences" Now I've never been told off before, and having a few days off in almost 2 years is fairly reliable, though she said it is not at all reliable!!!

I'm dreading next Saturday now, they like to make a fool out of you at my store, but I've read my Tesco handbook and it says that you must ring 2 hours before the sift starts ( which I did ) and if you keep taking days off WITHOUT ringing, you will face a disciplinary. Since this is my first disciplinary ( if it comes to that ) they can't sack me can they ? I know that they have dropped a few people's hours because they " can't afford it " but I've heard from other employees that they took 7 days off without ringing, and they still work there.

I'm also with the USDAW, which is the union so if they try and sack me, I can appeal and get help from the union.

Thank You for your input, now I need to work !
The proper procedure would be this
Verbal warning
Written warning
Formal Warning
Final warning
Fired
If you haven't had any of those then I wouldn't worry too much the there are other ways to get fired such as gross negligance but no the worst you'll get should be a verbal warning it will be on your final for 2 years then wiped from your record unless you get more serious warnings.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (182)
18.88%
No (581)
60.27%
Not really bothered about them (201)
20.85%

Watched Threads