The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

BradLBlackwell
I'm definitely going to York in October. Have accepted my unconditional offer! Thinking I may go for Derwent, but maybe James. Which one has the best bar?

Derwent bar was on the verge of closing, so most uni clubs/societies start off their socials there. James' bar (McQs) is alright, if a little small.
University of York
York
Is Derwent changing to catered accomodation?
Charlotte22
Is Derwent changing to catered accomodation?

Possibly, although it seems Langwith is perhaps more likely to change to catered.
Reply 43
Pretty sure it is Derwent that's going fully catered.

They do have Derwent Bar to use, after all- the place is practically a cafeteria anyway.
Cool, thanks!
Also is Goodricke as far as it looks on the map?
I really can't decide on which college to pick!
Charlotte22
Cool, thanks!
Also is Goodricke as far as it looks on the map?
I really can't decide on which college to pick!

It's about 10-15 mins by bus, make of that what you will.

To be honest, apart from the accommodation, colleges are pretty much all the same. It's the people you'll be living with that make your experience.
Reply 46
15 minutes by bus? Really?
It's not quite that far, surely- you could get to the centre of town in that time with ease.
I'd say it's about fifteen minutes to walk, too - but this is Derwent - new Goodricke; it probably does take a good 25+ minutes to Biology.
Can anyone tell me if I get to choose a college if I make York my insurance? Or would they just allocate me somewhere, in case that I don't get into my firm?
Although I probably wouldn't care that much. The York colleges somehow pretty much look quite similar to me (unlike the Durham ones). I guess if I can't choose, I'd be fine with any of them. :smile: It would still be nice to choose, because I would prefer a more sociable one.
Reply 49
I've made York my insurance. How do I go about applying for the accommodation now? I can't seem to find a link on the website.
Reply 50
la_mariposa
Can anyone tell me if I get to choose a college if I make York my insurance? Or would they just allocate me somewhere, in case that I don't get into my firm?
Although I probably wouldn't care that much. The York colleges somehow pretty much look quite similar to me (unlike the Durham ones). I guess if I can't choose, I'd be fine with any of them. :smile: It would still be nice to choose, because I would prefer a more sociable one.

Junker
I've made York my insurance. How do I go about applying for the accommodation now? I can't seem to find a link on the website.

York was my insurance last year - you'll get an email on results day about applying for accommodation if you're going to come here :smile:
Reply 51
I live in Goodricke.

It's about 4 minutes to campus by bus, if that. 15 minutes my arse.

It's about 12 minutes to Derwent or Langwith, 25 mins to Biology or Wentworth, 20 mins to Physics and about 15 to Alcuin/Library on foot.
la_mariposa
Can anyone tell me if I get to choose a college if I make York my insurance?

No accommodation is chosen or distributed until after results day, so you'd still get the same option whether you get into York as a firm, insurance or clearing.

As for the colleges... Well, they're pretty much all as sociable as each other, it just depends on where you've got a preference for, location and room wise.
Reply 53
I am confused with all of these new houses and old names used on new and old houses. So, if I apply to James, what will the accommodation be like? Is it now on some other colleges houses? I just do not get it...
corney91
York was my insurance last year - you'll get an email on results day about applying for accommodation if you're going to come here :smile:

Doodahdoo
No accommodation is chosen or distributed until after results day, so you'd still get the same option whether you get into York as a firm, insurance or clearing.

As for the colleges... Well, they're pretty much all as sociable as each other, it just depends on where you've got a preference for, location and room wise.

Thanks you guys :smile: That realy is another pro for York as an insurance, because at other places you can already apply, for acommodation so I guess only the crappy one will be available for people who get in thorugh insurance or clearing... :s-smilie:

Yeah, that's what I meant about the college actually looking quite similar to each other and me actually not having a real preference after taking a first look at them on the website. :smile: So I think I will worry about this if I should happen not to meet my firm offer.
la_mariposa
Thanks you guys :smile: That realy is another pro for York as an insurance, because at other places you can already apply, for acommodation so I guess only the crappy one will be available for people who get in thorugh insurance or clearing... :s-smilie:

Yeah, that's what I meant about the college actually looking quite similar to each other and me actually not having a real preference after taking a first look at them on the website. :smile: So I think I will worry about this if I should happen not to meet my firm offer.

It would probably be best to work out a preference sooner rather than later. If you wait too long to apply after you realise you are coming to York, all of the choices will have already gone, you see.
IeuanF
It would probably be best to work out a preference sooner rather than later. If you wait too long to apply after you realise you are coming to York, all of the choices will have already gone, you see.

Yeah, I know. I do have the time to wait until after exams (May) though :wink: I don't get the results until June 25th anyways.
BradLBlackwell
I'm definitely going to York in October. Have accepted my unconditional offer! Thinking I may go for Derwent, but maybe James. Which one has the best bar?

Derwent's bar is supposedly undergoing a massive revamp this summer. They're changing the layout and everything, so we'll see how that goes. It also becoming a fully-catered college. Currently, the 'best' bar on campus is probably B-henry's (Alcuin's) as it is the only one which does cocktails. The YUSU bar (Courtyard) is also good, but its often stupidly busy.

Derwent has the best-attended (and therefore best) events. Its the smallest college but excels in sport despite this (Football 1st and 2nds won their respective leagues, and Derwent have one of 4 single-college rugby teams). It also organises Big D in the summer, which is the biggest event on campus (last year tickets (about 1700) sold out in 30 mins). Basically Derwent is the place to be if you want to do lots of stuff and meet lots of ppl in first year (the only year you'll really have time).

Accomodation is varied, and its freezing in winter 'cos of thin windows, and the kitchens are a joke (but fully catered next year anyway...). Yeh, Derwent is the best...

Followed (distantly) by Vanbrugh and James...
Then Alcuin...
Then maybe Halifax...
Goodricke and Langwith...
Reply 58
I'm heading to York in October and I can't make up my mind about the colleges. :/

I'm doing EE, so I need to get to the physics building quickly, I suppose. Although the campus isn't massive I guess. I'd prefer an en-suite too, so I was looking at maybe James or Vanbrugh.

I don't know though, any opinions between those two? I'm so freakin' indecisive. >:|
Ebenia
I am confused with all of these new houses and old names used on new and old houses. So, if I apply to James, what will the accommodation be like? Is it now on some other colleges houses? I just do not get it...

S'fair enough - I get very confused, too. Accommodation could vary greatly; you could get original James, in which the houses are pretty alright and spacious, or you could get Goodricke (or what used to be Goodricke), which are fairly grotty flats. There's really no way to know :p:

Basically, because Goodricke has moved to Hes East, the accommodation that used to be a part of Goodricke college has been split between James and Vanbrugh (I think?)

Latest