Turn on thread page Beta

Question for Atheists watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeanofJelly)
    Everything in this world, to me at least, seems to be working as though there were no God. I would ask a religious person, if you believe there is a God - what difference would there be in the world if there was not a God?
    I think an answer that some religious people would give you might be this one:

God is the sustainer of the universe - if there was no God, the difference in the world would simply be that the world does not exist.

As an analogy: If you read a novel, and look at the events which take place, everything, to the characters at least, seems to be working as if there is no author. So what difference would there be in this fictional world if there was no author? The answer is simply that there would be no fictional world for any of us to comment on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerness)
    So these 'tales' were made up by imaginary people? Hughly doubt such amazing stories like those in the bible can be made up...
    Bible stories are average, epic tales like Lord of the Rings are much better and are made up by humans, unless you believe Tolkein is Jesus :love: I can hardly see why the bible couldn't have been written by humans...it is an average read at best. If published today I reckon maybe No.458 on amazon, maybe.

What do you have to lose if you just believe in a God?
    Delusion...what do you have to lose if you believe the earth is flat or the universe is the result of a dragon sneezing?

The fact that God was atually a person in my eyes, that makes it believable and the fact that there is written proof about him...
    It just seems like more common sense to believe in a person than what you've stated.
    Person...who Jesus? Not all Christians will agree with you there.

written proof about him...
    What the bible?

Well if someone put it like that to me I'd agree with you too but I actually decided to find out for myself. That's the problem with some people...they just assume and don't find out for theirselves...
    Find out what?

ReputationRep:
    1. No undeniable proof (otherwise there'd be only 1 definitive religion).
    2. It's completely absurd.
    3. I have managed to do well in life so far without intervention from 'God'.
    4. Philosoraptor has a good point:

ReputationRep:
    I'm asking YOU for you're input not some idiot who's saying what he thinks.
    You're asking an idiotic question. What do you expect the answer to be? Whether you believe something or not depends on your perception and understanding of evidence, lack of evidence or counter-evidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    I assume you read the Koran, before deciding not to be a Muslim?
    Because the basics of that religion are utterly stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I could have chosen that question but I'd like to hear the other side of not believing in a God - I want to see what people's reasons are against a God not for...
    But this is like someone saying to me "What is your reasons for not beliving that pigs can fly" The reply is because they can't. A better thing to do would be to ask mental paients "Why do you think pigs can fly".

And yes, I am likening religious people to mental paients.

ReputationRep:
    So these 'tales' were made up by imaginary people? Hughly doubt such amazing stories like those in the bible can be made up...
    Stories from way back in history, whether they're about Thor, Zeus right up to different religions right now, the Qu'ran, etc, have been equally "epic".

As for your "you don't know till you've tried it" argument, like I imagine many people in this thread, had bible stories read to them and talked about from a very young age, in fact, I went to a Christian-based faith school and went to Church with the school, I'm not completely ignorant of the rationale behind it.. I just see any reason why I should seperate what I was told there or in RE lessons from what I read in English lessons or history lessons when we were taught about Greek mythology.

So, my response to you is the same reason you don't believe in Zeus or the prophet Mohammed. I'm just skeptical about one more story than you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure a Muslim could say that about Christianity?
    That's also kind of stupid anyway though since they all branch from similar beliefs :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What do you have to lose if you just believe in a God?
    Personally, you don't live your life, your actions are defined about what isn't there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm asking YOU for you're input not some idiot who's saying what he thinks.
    There's no invisible man
    And perhaps you're an idiot if you can't grasp the irony.

ReputationRep:
    there is no evidence for the existence of God. Religion suppresses rational thought that is the ability to accept the theory of biochemical evolution. It also enforces convention and the lack of passion which is detrimental in a research scientist. in any case where is the niche for a god? evolution has been proven.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that God was atually a person in my eyes, that makes it believable
    I hope you don't see that as a serious argument for God's existence. What someone is or was in my or your eyes, really says nothing about what is the fact. btw: if he was actually a person, how can he/she be God?

and the fact that there is written proof about him...
    It just seems like more common sense to believe in a person than what you've stated.
    What is written proof in this context? If you mean that the fact that there are some stories about a certain person, is a sufficient condition for the existence of that person, our world would be pretty crowded. Do you really think that Sherlock Holmes, Mr Darcy and Gandalf really exist? btw there are enough stories about Dionysos, so why does he not exist (or Zeus, Aphrodite, Allah for that matter)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGhostofODonahue)
    Personally, I don't believe in God because some of the worst actions ever carried out have been done so with "God" and "faith" used as backup
    That doesn't really make the existece of God any less probable though, does it? People could do that just as easily regardless of whether or not God actually exists!

Some of the worst actions ever carried out have been done so in the name of certain Kings and Queens and political leaders as well - hardly meaning that these people haven't existed!

believing in 2000 year old scriptures is about as logical as believing in fairytales. There are so many contradictions
    One of the claims made by the Qur'an itself is that it doesn't contain any contradictions.

"Do they not consider the Qur’an with care? If it had been from other than Allah (God) it would contain many contradictions" - 4:82

Give me some examples of Islams basics being utterly stupid? Might show them to the Islamic society, I'm sure they'd hit back at the Christanity society.

The atheists meanwhile sit back and realise you're both right about eachother, and you're both wrong about yourselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I think an answer that some religious people would give you might be this one:

God is the sustainer of the universe - if there was no God, the difference in the world would simply be that the world does not exist.

As an analogy: If you read a novel, and look at the events which take place, everything, to the characters at least, seems to be working as if there is no author. So what difference would there be in this fictional world if there was no author? The answer is simply that there would be no fictional world for any of us to comment on.
    Yes, I think you're right, I understand that is what most religious people would say - and it's not a poor argument.

But as an atheist, I just don't believe that God is necessary in order for the universe to exist as it is.

I think it can be explained without the need for a God (ie a sentient being).

If you did feel that a sentient creator was required, it is still extremely debateable whether that sentient being is anything at all like the depictions found in religion (and then you could return to my post cause I kind of said all about that there :p: )

EDIT: Also! Hi again tazarooni

:gfight: <-- this is us debating religion on TSR :p:

ReputationRep:
    Everything...
    Do you sometimes think "I'll believe in God because if he exists I'll be ok, and if it turns out he doesn't, well it doesn't matter anyway"?

OP, give me one argument for the existance of a god that couldnt also be applied to santa clause.

ReputationRep:
    What about Buddhism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    OP, give me one argument for the existance of a god that couldnt also be applied to santa clause.
    You love that argument

Still yet to see it answered properly and convincingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Give me some examples of Islams basics being utterly stupid? Might show them to the Islamic society, I'm sure they'd hit back at the Christanity society.

The atheists meanwhile sit back and realise you're both right about eachother, and you're both wrong about yourselves.
    Gladly, I'm sure I don't need to tell them what they beleive in otherwise what kinda of Muslims would that make them?

So what do atheists beleive in? Nothing by the sounds of it?

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.