Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    Well this thread has nothing to do with humour, it is a bunch of teenagers stereotyping an entire nation of 82 million.
    oh well.
    i did just have my lesson with the german assisstant, and we were talking about stereotypes. she admitted that she, along with most germans have no sense of humour. there are of course, exceptions.

shes said that us brits are rubbish at football, and never stop going on about the war. both are true.

anyway, i dont wanna turn this into a big thing, just making a point...

ReputationRep:
    woaw i never noticed that they wear that kind of boring outfits.

ReputationRep:
    *lol* What's wrong with you guys? I'm really beginning to wonder what you wear? When I went to London I though British women didn't dress any different, but maybe London is not stylish :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm German and I'm currently wearing white pants (not jeans), a T-Shirt. a sweater and a scarf. It's freaking -10°C outside and I honestly do not feel like wearing a dress at the moment... But I do have dresses and skirts and I wish I could wear those more often, but when I personally find it too cold so I stick with pants. I doubt that Germans, especially girls, don't know how to dress well. I know many girls who like to dress fashionable. So do I, but I personally don't see the point in dressing up for school everyday. In school I usually stick with a T-Shirt and pants. I find it weird to dress fancy for school - I mean who are you trying to impress? When I go out I like to wear pretty clothes though.
    I have to agree though that I find it much harder finding lots of pretty and affordable (!) clothes in Germany than in America. That doesn't mean that no-one wears them though. H&M don't just have jeans and hoodies in their shops either btw.

But well, have fun bashing the German fashion sense, I probably just don't understand the humour behind it () and I honestly hope not be be stereotyped like this in university. But saying that all Brits stereotype would be a stereotype as well and I don't do this.

(I would like to know what you guys wear for schoolshopping etc though... and I also wonder what you think about Americans who like to go grocery shopping in clothes that pretty much look like PJs.... )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_mariposa)
    I would like to know what you guys wear for schoolshopping etc though... and I also wonder what you think about Americans who like to go grocery shopping in clothes that pretty much look like PJs....
    add to that lectures and general walking about in public. i cant wait to have PJ-days at university. ALL DAY!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm German and I'm currently wearing white pants (not jeans), a T-Shirt. a sweater and a scarf. It's freaking -10°C outside and I honestly do not feel like wearing a dress at the moment... But I do have dresses and skirts and I wish I could wear those more often, but when I personally find it too cold so I stick with pants.
    I went to Berlin last month, and I have a house in Sweden where it's like -10 atm urgh and I am still wearing dresses :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I went to Berlin last month, and I have a house in Sweden where it's like -10 atm urgh and I am still wearing dresses :p:
    Then have fun with it I just don't see the point in freezing when there are warmer clothes that don't look too bad, too.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)

Why is it strange that they wear clothes that are appropriate for the weather? Let's be honest. Most English teenage/20-something girls wear the same thing no matter what season it is. It is baffling to me to see girls wearing short skirts and not even a coat when it's 2 degrees outside.
    weather isn't much of an excuse. Jeans and sneakers aren't the only 'warm' things you can wear in the cold. when I went to paris(it was a cold winter) everyone was still dressed stylish but also warm.
    Oh and yeah I have to agree with the last sentence, I get cold easily.
    Germans may not collectively have the best dress sense but I did see some hot guys there!

ReputationRep:
    Then have fun with it I just don't see the point in freezing when there are warmer clothes that don't look too bad, too.... :rolleyes:
    I think jeans look horrible on most people :p:
    and i'm not cold! wearing 3 pairs of tights and subtle layering does a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xica Da Silva)
    weather isn't much of an excuse. Jeans and sneakers aren't the only 'warm' things you can wear in the cold. when I went to paris(it was a cold winter) everyone was still dressed stylish but also warm.
    Oh and yeah I have to agree with the last sentence, I get cold easily.
    Germans may not collectively have the best dress sense but I did see some hot guys there!
    btw. I wouldn't leave the house with sneakers (let alone high heels :eek3: at the Moment. The only appropiate thing to wear are snowboots and although I think mine are already quite stylish considering they are snowboots it's impossible for proper snowboots to look very good. I prefer them to slipping and falling though :yep:

(Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I think jeans look horrible on most people :p:
    and i'm not cold! wearing 3 pairs of tights and subtle layering does a lot
    How can you look horrible in jean? They make most people look thinner. While too many layers make most people look fat

ReputationRep:
    How can you look horrible in jean? They make most people look thinner. While too many layers make most people look fat
    actually, because it is so hard to get the perfect pair of jeans, the majority of people who wear them go about in styles which are completely wrong for their body shape and even if they have the right one, they're not the right size/fit for that person. I'm tall and skinny and thick tights and skirts/dresses look much better on me in the winter than any pair of jeans I've tried on, and for the most part they're warmer too - I find jeans cold!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    actually, because it is so hard to get the perfect pair of jeans, the majority of people who wear them go about in styles which are completely wrong for their body shape and even if they have the right one, they're not the right size/fit for that person. I'm tall and skinny and thick tights and skirts/dresses look much better on me in the winter than any pair of jeans I've tried on, and for the most part they're warmer too - I find jeans cold!

May I ask what kind of tights you wear? I wore wool tights and cuffs (??? is that what they are called, I didn't know the word and just looked it up ^^) with a skirt the other day, when it was still warmer than at the moment and still got really cold :rolleyes: Then again I get cold easily, at the moment I tend to wear tights and jeans... :o:
    As you said it really depends on the type. I'm probably the opposite to you, since I have really short legs and found that jeans make them look longer than skirts somehow. :yep: (But I'm a sucker for pretty dresses/skirts so I still wear them in the summer, although I don't like my legs/knees :o: :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    May I ask what kind of tights you wear? I wore wool tights and cuffs (??? is that what they are called, I didn't know the word and just looked it up ^^) with a skirt the other day, when it was still warmer than at the moment and still got really cold :rolleyes: Then again I get cold easily, at the moment I tend to wear tights and jeans... :o:
    As you said it really depends on the type. I'm probably the opposite to you, since I have really short legs and found that jeans make them look longer than skirts somehow. :yep: (But I'm a sucker for pretty dresses/skirts so I still wear them in the summer, although I don't like my legs/knees :o: :rolleyes: )
    I normally wear two pairs of 90 denier thickness opaques, or else a 40 denier pair with a wool pair on top.

ReputationRep:
    I normally wear two pairs of 90 denier thickness opaques, or else a 40 denier pair with a wool pair on top.
    A 90 what...? Is that a brand or what? (Remember I'm from Germany so I obviously can't know about fashion according tom 99% of the people who posted im this thread... )

ReputationRep:
    A 90 what...? Is that a brand or what? (Remember I'm from Germany so I obviously can't know about fashion according tom 99% of the people who posted im this thread... )
    oh it's like the units of measurement for how thick tights are. 90 is about the thickest you can normally get (I've seen 100 a few times) and 40 would be about medium thickness.

ReputationRep:
    oh it's like the units of measurement for how thick tights are. 90 is about the thickest you can normally get (I've seen 100 a few times) and 40 would be about medium thickness.

Oh, ok now I know what kind of tights you mean... the measurement is probably and English thing. Good to know though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucefowls)
    i did just have my lesson with the german assisstant, and we were talking about stereotypes. she admitted that she, along with most germans have no sense of humour. there are of course, exceptions.
    Our German assistant finds accents hilarious, the guy on our tape had an east German accent and he properly cracked up, went bright red and started shaking with laughter. I like accents, I think they're funny, but just... wow.

I don't think they have no sense of humour though, just that humour can be difficult to translate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucefowls)
    There are Next's in Germany? AHHHH! do you think i could use my staff discount??? :P
    we can't use it in stores outside the uk or ireland, it says on the back of the discount card

ReputationRep:
    we can't use it in stores outside the uk or ireland, it says on the back of the discount card
    oh bummer!!!
    ive only just got my card, i hadnt looked on the back!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.