Access Results so far! Watch

MikeyS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks Nat! Ironically, the best uni's I applied for only want me to "pass the access course" with 45 credits at level 3 and 15 at level 2!! I think this may have been because they liked me at the interview? The others didn't interview me.

I applied for:

Nottingham (Offer: 30 credits @ distinction, 15 credits @ Merit and 15 credits at level 2)

Bournemouth (Offer: Merit profile)

Loughborough (Offer: Pass the course!)

Durhum (Offer: Pass the course!)

Bath (rejected)

I now have the problem of deciding which offer to accept. I don't want to go to Bournemouth, that is my local town and was just a back up. I don't like Nottingham, and Bath didn't accept. That leaves either Business @ Durhum or Economics @ Loughborough. ANd they are the two lowest offers, and probably the two best uni's I applied for

(Original post by Nat$)
bloody hell! :eek: Thats well good. I hope you have applied to good unis.
Nat$
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MikeyS)
Thanks Nat! Ironically, the best uni's I applied for only want me to "pass the access course" with 45 credits at level 3 and 15 at level 2!! I think this may have been because they liked me at the interview? The others didn't interview me.

I applied for:

Nottingham (Offer: 30 credits @ distinction, 15 credits @ Merit and 15 credits at level 2)

Bournemouth (Offer: Merit profile)

Loughborough (Offer: Pass the course!)

Durhum (Offer: Pass the course!)

Bath (rejected)

I now have the problem of deciding which offer to accept. I don't want to go to Bournemouth, that is my local town and was just a back up. I don't like Nottingham, and Bath didn't accept. That leaves either Business @ Durhum or Economics @ Loughborough. ANd they are the two lowest offers, and probably the two best uni's I applied for
Oh right, im going to study business too. Proberly going to go to UEA; 45 merits is what they want from me, which i am kind of confident about as i have 15ish merits and 3 distintions, so far. Still not sure though, as i have an offer from Oxford Brookes and really like the city.

My brother did his degree at Loughborough, and his PHD at Bath. Why do you not like Notts uni?
MikeyS
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Fantastic, that sounds easily attainable for you then!

My Brother went to Bath too! What do your brother do his degree and PHD in? My other brother is doing a PHD too, in physics at Bristol. My little sister goes to Notts doing the degree I got an offer for. To be honest I don't like the degree as much as Business @ Durham. I do like Notts though, just not as much as Loughborough or Duham. The thing that put's me off Loughborough is the fact there are nearly 2 men for every woman! But apart from that I love it, as I am really sporty. ANd it is also for Economics, which is a subject i'd enjoy more and has better career prospects. But on the downside may prove very challenging since I do not have any recent Mathematics qualifications.

It's a tough decision :/

(Original post by Nat$)
Oh right, im going to study business too. Proberly going to go to UEA; 45 merits is what they want from me, which i am kind of confident about as i have 15ish merits and 3 distintions, so far. Still not sure though, as i have an offer from Oxford Brookes and really like the city.

My brother did his degree at Loughborough, and his PHD at Bath. Why do you not like Notts uni?
Nat$
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Fantastic, that sounds easily attainable for you then!

My Brother went to Bath too! What do your brother do his degree and PHD in? My other brother is doing a PHD too, in physics at Bristol. My little sister goes to Notts doing the degree I got an offer for. To be honest I don't like the degree as much as Business @ Durham. I do like Notts though, just not as much as Loughborough or Duham. The thing that put's me off Loughborough is the fact there are nearly 2 men for every woman! But apart from that I love it, as I am really sporty. ANd it is also for Economics, which is a subject i'd enjoy more and has better career prospects. But on the downside may prove very challenging since I do not have any recent Mathematics qualifications.

It's a tough decision :/
My brother studyed Chemistry. Its sounds like you have a welll educated family. How come your going uni now?

Two guys for every girl! :eek: Why did no one tell me this! lol All the unis I applied to have the same, but the girls being the majority. Kinda sucks as im a single girl, but maybe its for the best for studying. Why am i kidding myself its rubbish!!! Would Loughborough have places in extra? lol
MikeyS
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well I didn't like school, and joined the Royal Marines when I left. I've also worked in a number of other jobs from RBS to the MOD, and found there was a lack of opportunities available for people without a degree. That, together with a feeling of being unchallanged, led me to do the Access course in Business.

I'm not too sure if they have places in clearing, i'm sure they'd welcome an extra girl though with open arms . as they're kind of low They're business school is really good too (7th in the UK, in Times Uni guide 2010).. with a one year placement in industry.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/bs/ug/index.html

(Original post by Nat$)
My brother studyed Chemistry. Its sounds like you have a welll educated family. How come your going uni now?

Two guys for every girl! :eek: Why did no one tell me this! lol All the unis I applied to have the same, but the girls being the majority. Kinda sucks as im a single girl, but maybe its for the best for studying. Why am i kidding myself its rubbish!!! Would Loughborough have places in extra? lol
LeonLorenzo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Congratulations Mikey; they're some pretty decent offers.

I'm sitting on 18 credits at Distinction so far, but the next Law assignment may well be a Merit. I wish my college would have offered an Access to business option.

Leon
Nat$
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well I didn't like school, and joined the Royal Marines when I left. I've also worked in a number of other jobs from RBS to the MOD, and found there was a lack of opportunities available for people without a degree. That, together with a feeling of being unchallanged, led me to do the Access course in Business.

I'm not too sure if they have places in clearing, i'm sure they'd welcome an extra girl though with open arms . as they're kind of low They're business school is really good too (7th in the UK, in Times Uni guide 2010).. with a one year placement in industry.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/bs/ug/index.html
Yeah will maybe check it out as im starting to think that UEA is a bit too far from everything. Still waiting for Warwick to get back to me though.

About the placement year, do you think its worth doing, even as a mature student? Ive been thinking about it but am not sure, as ive worked in business focused roles. I can see how this can be good if you want somewhere to work after, but im planning to run my own company.
MikeyS
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd say absolutely, I'd give it careful consideration. I've heard of some people getting a placement in their 3rd year paying £30k+!!! And even if you do have managerial experience, it's still of great benefit as you can get a placement in the kind of job you'd like to do once you have graduated- many employers go on to offer placement students full time positions when they have graduated, and even sometimes sponsor them for their final year! Well worth doing IMO, on business degrees.

But I can see where you are coming from, if you don't plan on going into employment after graduation. What kind of business are you hoping to start up, and what has motivated you to do a degree- do you feel your own business will benefit from the knowledge you gain from your degree? If so, I still think it would be worth your while doing a placement if offered- but most uni's allow you to skip the placement if you have managerial experience anyway.. so it is porbably going to be entirely your choice Maybe you will fancy a placement when you see what companies are offering, if theres nothing you like don't bother I guess..

(Original post by Nat$)
Yeah will maybe check it out as im starting to think that UEA is a bit too far from everything. Still waiting for Warwick to get back to me though.

About the placement year, do you think its worth doing, even as a mature student? Ive been thinking about it but am not sure, as ive worked in business focused roles. I can see how this can be good if you want somewhere to work after, but im planning to run my own company.
MikeyS
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Congrats Leon! I got my Merit in Law, and accounts courseworks. I don't like either much so was happy with that

What Access course are you doing, and what degrees have you applied for?

(Original post by LeonLorenzo)
Congratulations Mikey; they're some pretty decent offers.

I'm sitting on 18 credits at Distinction so far, but the next Law assignment may well be a Merit. I wish my college would have offered an Access to business option.

Leon
LeonLorenzo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Congrats Leon! I got my Merit in Law, and accounts courseworks. I don't like either much so was happy with that

What Access course are you doing, and what degrees have you applied for?
Sorry, I forgot to respond to this post.

I'm doing the combined studies of Law, Sociology, and English Language. Once I finish the Access course I have decided to do Maths and Economics A-levels... I hope to study Economics BSC at a decent university once I'm done with all these level 3 qualifications.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (98)
25.45%
No (287)
74.55%

Watched Threads