Higher Geography 2010 Watch

jackg93
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by whataperfectionist)
Pretty much my idea of a nightmare paper! :eek3:

RLR- Limestone and Environmental conflicts
Well in RLR they ask for upland so that can be glaciation or limestone. Which is your case study?
Lulope
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Whoever repped me thanks (:

My ideal Paper would be

Compulsary
Atmosphere - ITCZ
Hydrosphere - Hydrological Cycle
Population - Differences between developing countries
Industry - Why did Industry set up here

Optional
Lithosphere - Coastal
Biosphere - Plant successions across sand dunes (Can't spell the proper word )
Urban - Changes in the CBD
Rural - Intensive Peasant

RLR - Glaciation Features, Conflicts, their solutions and their effectiveness, Limitations of the landscape
Health and Development - Only Malaria, no PHC. (:
Haffie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I reckon Sand Junes will definetly come up!!
whataperfectionist
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jackg93)
Well in RLR they ask for upland so that can be glaciation or limestone. Which is your case study?
Can they also ask about coasts in RLR? If they do i am utterly stuffed :rolleyes:
We did the Yorkshire Dales (Malham Cove), but also the Cairngorms although not in as much detail... What did you do?
rosie9391
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can they also ask about coasts in RLR? If they do i am utterly stuffed :rolleyes:
Yeah, it can. We done a case study on the Dorset Coast.
whataperfectionist
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rosie9391)
Yeah, it can. We done a case study on the Dorset Coast.
Ooh darnit :rolleyes: Haha, we also did a wee bit on that but i'm completely rubbish at it... Especially the explanation of features :confused:
whataperfectionist
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lulope)
Whoever repped me thanks (:
T'was me
rosie9391
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ooh darnit :rolleyes: Haha, we also did a wee bit on that but i'm completely rubbish at it... Especially the explanation of features :confused:
Pretty much the same idea as limestone and glaciated uplands, just get good half dozen examples for the area. The features, longs you know two or three examples from both, erosion and deposition you should be fine. Knowing the caves/arches/blow holes/stacks/stumps is a safe option and can give you many marks, especially with the diagram.
jackg93
Report 8 years ago
We did the Yorkshire Dales (Malham Cove), but also the Cairngorms although not in as much detail... What did you do?
Loch Lomond fro glaciation and Dorset for coasts.

What is everyones forced migration case study? I badly need to add my notes to it
lackofcolour
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Haz23)
Another good book is Higher Geography: Grade Booster as it gives both weak and strong model answers. I recommend you get it.

Does anyone have any predictions for what is going to come up this year? My teacher is convinced there will be an Industry map question.
My teacher had a go at predicting the whole 2 papers. Looks like what she said will come up.
jackg93
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lackofcolour)
My teacher had a go at predicting the whole 2 papers. Looks like what she said will come up.
What did she say?
stefany-a
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lackofcolour)
my teacher has also made predictions, he is a marker and has been teaching the subect for years but I am still going to revisie everything just to be save.

who else hates lithosphere question on chalk and clay ? or is it just me
JoshCurran
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by stefany-a)
my teacher has also made predictions, he is a marker and has been teaching the subect for years but I am still going to revisie everything just to be save.

who else hates lithosphere question on chalk and clay ? or is it just me
What did your teacher predict?
anna0ox
Report 8 years ago
that's me starting to revise geography :| im panicked about industry, i can't even remember learning half the stuff. how many case studies do people have for industry?
alasdair1993
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey everyone.
So the studying for Geography begins! :o:
I love Geography but there is SO MUCH TO LEARN/KNOW.
The best way to revise for me is to go over absolutely everything so you have all your bases covered. I write model answers, take notes, make up pneumonics (I have a pneumonic for every question they ask in Paper 2! :p: ) Look over past papers and see what they ask/how they ask the questions. If you're going to predict what may come up make sure you have everything else covered because sometimes they ask the same type of questions two years in a row e.g. soils 2006 and 2007. Also the pattern of questions in compulsory/choice each year is sporadic so don't hedge your bets on a question being compulsory or choice this year!
Also, make sure you know everything for paper 2! I know it's so time intensive but paper 2 is really a gift because there is a lot more certainty in what they are going to ask because in each question there are roughly 4-6 questions they can ask and usually 3-4 of them come up each year! It's imperative that you know everything because the time constraints are so big. My teacher says that most people do better on paper 2 because in paper 1 they can ask questions that throw a lot of candidates but in paper 2 they are more prepared!
I know I sound so pompous and seem very patronising I just want to make sure that we are all well prepared for the 31st of May!
Geography is my favourite (and strongest) subject so if anyone has any queries feel free to PM me or post on here. I may put up some model answers/bullet points for certain topics if anyone is struggling and just in general!
jackg93
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alasdair1993)
Hey everyone.
The best way to revise for me is to go over absolutely everything so you have all your bases covered. I write model answers, take notes, make up pneumonics (I have a pneumonic for every question they ask in Paper 2! :p: ) Look over past papers and see what they ask/how they ask the questions. If you're going to predict what may come up make sure you have everything else covered because sometimes they ask the same type of questions two years in a row e.g. soils 2006 and 2007. Also the pattern of questions in compulsory/choice each year is sporadic so don't hedge your bets on a question being compulsory or choice this year!
Also, make sure you know everything for paper 2! I know it's so time intensive but paper 2 is really a gift because there is a lot more certainty in what they are going to ask because in each question there are roughly 4-6 questions they can ask and usually 3-4 of them come up each year! It's imperative that you know everything because the time constraints are so big. My teacher says that most people do better on paper 2 because in paper 1 they can ask questions that throw a lot of candidates but in paper 2 they are more prepared!
I know I sound so pompous and seem very patronising I just want to make sure that we are all well prepared for the 31st of May!
Geography is my favourite (and strongest) subject so if anyone has any queries feel free to PM me or post on here. I may put up some model answers/bullet points for certain topics if anyone is struggling and just in general!
Notes on ocean currents?
alasdair1993
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jackg93)
Notes on ocean currents?
I'm doing atmosphere tomorrow with my friend. I'll see if I can put up some notes/model answers then.
jackg93
Report 8 years ago
I'm doing atmosphere tomorrow with my friend. I'll see if I can put up some notes/model answers then.
Ok thanks
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey everyone.
Dude....I used to be you!!

And I would say if you are that good then don't do any revision. Focus on your weaker subjects.
alasdair1993
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
Dude....I used to be you!!

And I would say if you are that good then don't do any revision. Focus on your weaker subjects.
I'm not that good, I just study hard. I only have Physics before which is on Friday and I've been studying for that anyway so I'm splitting my time between the two, then I have a few days after Geography to prepare for Computing (have been studying it continuously this year anyway). Thanks for the advice anyway!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1627)
78.98%
Leave (433)
21.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise