LSE losing its edge?? Watch

daemonavn
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
I don't want to be drawn into this debate, although its very tempting. I don't know what kind of people the OP hangs out with but in my circle of friends (BSc Econ, BSc Govt & Econ, BSc Business Maths & Stats) all of us managed to get internships last year as well as jobs this year at BBs, PEs and HFs. Seriously OP consider expanding your pool and asking around before making sweeping statements based simply on your group of friends.
unknown demon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by daemonavn)
I don't want to be drawn into this debate, although its very tempting. I don't know what kind of people the OP hangs out with but in my circle of friends (BSc Econ, BSc Govt & Econ, BSc Business Maths & Stats) all of us managed to get internships last year as well as jobs this year at BBs, PEs and HFs. Seriously OP consider expanding your pool and asking around before making sweeping statements based simply on your group of friends.
Agreed, most undergrads I spoke to managed to get internships this year and a fair few finalists I know have managed to find full time positions in various places.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the same for postgrads.
daemonavn
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by unknown demon)
Agreed, most undergrads I spoke to managed to get internships this year and a fair few finalists I know have managed to find full time positions in various places.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the same for postgrads.
The thing is, LSE postgrads are of very poor quality especially since it is nothing more than a money making cow for the LSE, they accept all these international students who aren't good enough.

Case in point- I know this kid who graduated from some very very random Mid-western american uni and he got into MSc Finance without any prior work experience save an internship. Now how does he expect to find a job with only one work experience entry on his CV ? I would imagine, you need some solid 2-3 yr work exp to be accepted onto the MSc Finance programme, like LBS does. The recruiters at the BB where I'll be starting this year were very critical of the standard of LSE postgrad applicants, and its true, I have been extremely unimpressed with the finance postgrads I have come across, in comparison, LSE undergrads (econs, acc&fin, math&econ, govt&econ) seem more motivated and knowledgable and frankly as 3rd years most of us already have two financial services internships as well as previous part time jobs in HFs and PEs during the year.
awm55
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The thing is, LSE postgrads are of very poor quality especially since it is nothing more than a money making cow for the LSE, they accept all these international students who aren't good enough.

Case in point- I know this kid who graduated from some very very random Mid-western american uni and he got into MSc Finance without any prior work experience save an internship. Now how does he expect to find a job with only one work experience entry on his CV ? I would imagine, you need some solid 2-3 yr work exp to be accepted onto the MSc Finance programme, like LBS does. The recruiters at the BB where I'll be starting this year were very critical of the standard of LSE postgrad applicants, and its true, I have been extremely unimpressed with the finance postgrads I have come across, in comparison, LSE undergrads (econs, acc&fin, math&econ, govt&econ) seem more motivated and knowledgable and frankly as 3rd years most of us already have two financial services internships as well as previous part time jobs in HFs and PEs during the year.
What are you talking about. A FO BB internship and graduating from LSE's MSc Finance is more than enough to get you a job. And working part time at a hedge fund or PE firm is categorically not the norm for undergrads at LSE, who are you kidding?
daemonavn
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by awm55)
What are you talking about. A FO BB internship and graduating from LSE's MSc Finance is more than enough to get you a job. And working part time at a hedge fund or PE firm is categorically not the norm for undergrads at LSE, who are you kidding?
Really? Well, go ask this year's LSE MSc Finance graduating class and you'll see how few of them actually have offers. And who said this guy has a BB FO internship, anyway that was just an example. Let me tell you this, getting an FO has become so much more competitive since 2008, there are lesser positions, not to mention lesser banks.

And seriously, if you haven't taken full advantage of LSE that's not my problem. LSE econs have about 10-12 hours of weekly lectures and classes (which I reschedule because my TAs let me), I have two days when I don't need to come in to school, what do you think us econ people do the rest of the time? Sleep in the Shaw Library or drink our life away in the tuns? Neither. We take advantage of the fact that LSE alumni hold key positions in Mayfair hedge funds so people work part-time, ever heard of Moore Cap or Lionsgate? No? I thought as much.

Edit: I'm not going to get sucked into this debate. I have seen people throw away their time at LSE and yes I know many many postgrads without offers whereas there are very few undergrads without offers, this was the point of my original post. peace out
PorcineAviation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have two days when I don't need to come in to school, what do you think us econ people do the rest of the time? Sleep in the Shaw Library or drink our life away in the tuns? Neither. We take advantage of the fact that LSE alumni hold key positions in Mayfair hedge funds so people work part-time, ever heard of Moore Cap or Lionsgate? No? I thought as much.
God, how unfortunate.
PorcineAviation
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by speedy_s)
Almost all LSE applicants got GS S&T first round interviews this year.
Exaggeration much?
daemonavn
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PorcineAviation)
God, how unfortunate.
No, I am resourceful, plus you'll kill later in life for the contacts I have made.
PorcineAviation
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, I am resourceful, plus you'll kill later in life for the contacts I have made.
Contacts vs. university experience. Tough call.
Prince of Zamunda
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
And seriously, if you haven't taken full advantage of LSE that's not my problem. LSE econs have about 10-12 hours of weekly lectures and classes (which I reschedule because my TAs let me), I have two days when I don't need to come in to school, what do you think us econ people do the rest of the time? Sleep in the Shaw Library or drink our life away in the tuns? Neither. We take advantage of the fact that LSE alumni hold key positions in Mayfair hedge funds so people work part-time
Sounds like a banterous lot :top:
Byllie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Really? Well, go ask this year's LSE MSc Finance graduating class and you'll see how few of them actually have offers. And who said this guy has a BB FO internship, anyway that was just an example. Let me tell you this, getting an FO has become so much more competitive since 2008, there are lesser positions, not to mention lesser banks.

And seriously, if you haven't taken full advantage of LSE that's not my problem. LSE econs have about 10-12 hours of weekly lectures and classes (which I reschedule because my TAs let me), I have two days when I don't need to come in to school, what do you think us econ people do the rest of the time? Sleep in the Shaw Library or drink our life away in the tuns? Neither. We take advantage of the fact that LSE alumni hold key positions in Mayfair hedge funds so people work part-time, ever heard of Moore Cap or Lionsgate? No? I thought as much.

Edit: I'm not going to get sucked into this debate. I have seen people throw away their time at LSE and yes I know many many postgrads without offers whereas there are very few undergrads without offers, this was the point of my original post. peace out

stfu please

You sound like the sort of guy who will burn out at 25 from having no fun in his young adult life.

As someone else said, 'contacts (**** sucking) or university experience?'

LSE gets great graduate employment figures with it's economics programme but if you look at course satisfaction, it is like low 80's. (source - unistats)
awm55
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

You are like a walking stereotype, well done! And I have about 12 hours of lectures a week, and guess what, in my free time I choose to play sport and socialize...what an obscene waste of time! Oh yeah, and I also have a BB FO offer so that throws your theory out the window.
dannylfc_1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kushagra452)
The reason I ask this is because of an unusually large number of students from the LSE Econ program were unable to get an internship in IB/Consulting. Did students at Oxbridge also have a tough time? I guess the city is still not recruiting students (for summer internship and full-time) as it used to.

What are your thoughts about this observation?
It's not a case of LSE Econ losing credibility at all.
You can't get any better than LSE econ, problem is the majority that do it hardly speak english.
Zweihander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
LSE is totally losing its edge. The Independent League tables came out today and it's worse than Durham. I anticpate the banks will hastily cease all contact with LSE, and auto-filter anyone who applies.
[email protected]
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dogfights)
The MIM doesnt require work experience
Fair enough, but most of them will be aiming for Management Consultancy to be honest.
[email protected]
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dannylfc_1)
It's not a case of LSE Econ losing credibility at all.
You can't get any better than LSE econ, problem is the majority that do it hardly speak english.
There were a good 5-6 Chinese from the MPhil Finance Cambridge at a certain Operations AC so I've been told. International students rarely make it to FO unless they have perfect English & social skills. LSE is too obsessed with rinsing internationals for everything they have.
RBarack
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Perhaps the banks are finally coming out of their little shell, and placing more emphasis on ability as opposed to institutional prestige?
solaris23
Report 8 years ago
Does anyone know about LSE MSc Finance placement, does it at least get you interviews?
RBarack
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by speedy_s)
Almost all LSE applicants got GS S&T first round interviews this year.
So? There's still a considerable difference between being given an interview and securing a placement.
RBarack
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by solaris23)
Does anyone know about LSE MSc Finance placement, does it at least get you interviews?
FFS a good CV and references are more important than being an MSc Finance student at the LSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1460)
79.61%
Leave (374)
20.39%

Watched Threads