Nottingham or Westminster for Architecture 2010/11? Watch

jrhartley
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by glauco)
I can see your point. However I think that it's not about ability, skills or intelligence but real vocation, it's about where your heart is.
I can see your point as well. What I was trying to say was that we lost about 20% of people in first year whose heart wasn't in it. Everyone else was fired up and gung-ho about architecture. Now we feel like we've had our lifeblood drained out of us, I think even the most eager beavers are now only just managing to feign interest.

that's a concern from my perspective - how you can have the enthusiasm kicked out of a group of people so comprehensively.
yeahyeahyeahs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
"yeahyeahyeahs" things related to the University of Westminster and positive and negative experiences there that could help me make up my mind on which uni to choose. She offered this sort of help in another thread and I thought that it'd be nice to hear from someone like her.

we can not make up your mind for which course or university is for you.
if i didnt reply to your pm, its because i rather not give out any impression on my university to you as it will influence your choice.

i rather not have you come up to me and tell me the university wasn't what you expected as you based your decision making on my opinion.

being an architecture student is a hard life. if you want to give up everything for the next 5 years in architectural education to be in some small bubble excluded by the outside world, then by all means continue.

you can kiss the social life, your disposable income, your free time good bye. whether you think these things are important or not important in your life at the moment. thats your choice.

going back to westminster or nottingham university, there isn't really much of a difference as you will get a riba part 1 at either universities. in the architectural industry both universities have a good reputation.
the only difference is your life might be easier at nottingham since everything is all 'on campus' and you wouldn't need to commute on the underground tube lines to get plotting paper and materials.

as for the question "Do you regret your choice?"
No.

there is no such thing as 'passion' or 'soul' for architecture.
its called tolerance to mental and psychically pain. if you don't have this. you will not get through the course.
glauco
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by yeahyeahyeahs)
we can not make up your mind for which course or university is for you.
if i didnt reply to your pm, its because i rather not give out any impression on my university to you as it will influence your choice.
Thanks for your message. I never asked anybody to make up my mind, that wasn't my intention. I appreciate your concern. I only wanted to hear from Westminster students to make sure that it is not the crap that some people - without any concrete info/experience - spread out all over the students forums.
Anyway, I got over this and I worked out that Notts and Wmin were going to be the same, and made my decision based on where I want to live, which is London.
I know it's a hard course, but how can I choose something else if I don't want to do anything else? Even been experiencing all of that, you still don't regret it, which make me feel happy for you. So hopefully I won't regret it either, but if I do, at least I will have done what I wanted to do and followed my heart. When you follow your instincts is easier to forgive yourself for making mistakes. Otherwise you'd always be thinking "what if".... That's how I chose London, it's where I want to be and it'd be not as bad to regret that decision than being in Nottingham just because it's easier, or to play safe, and think for the rest of my life: what if I had gone to London? I should have done what I wanted, now I have to carry on living somewhere I never wanted to be...
Anyway, do you know the easiest way to get in touch with people from there who are sharing private accommodation or they all tend to do it by word of mouth within their group of friends?
Many thanks for getting back to me
yeahyeahyeahs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for your message. I never asked anybody to make up my mind, that wasn't my intention. I appreciate your concern. I only wanted to hear from Westminster students to make sure that it is not the crap that some people - without any concrete info/experience - spread out all over the students forums.
Anyway, I got over this and I worked out that Notts and Wmin were going to be the same, and made my decision based on where I want to live, which is London.
I know it's a hard course, but how can I choose something else if I don't want to do anything else? Even been experiencing all of that, you still don't regret it, which make me feel happy for you. So hopefully I won't regret it either, but if I do, at least I will have done what I wanted to do and followed my heart. When you follow your instincts is easier to forgive yourself for making mistakes. Otherwise you'd always be thinking "what if".... That's how I chose London, it's where I want to be and it'd be not as bad to regret that decision than being in Nottingham just because it's easier, or to play safe, and think for the rest of my life: what if I had gone to London? I should have done what I wanted, now I have to carry on living somewhere I never wanted to be...
Anyway, do you know the easiest way to get in touch with people from there who are sharing private accommodation or they all tend to do it by word of mouth within their group of friends?
Many thanks for getting back to me

normally by word of mouth, but if you are first year, there are these housing workshop where you can meet other students at the university.
its a hit and miss with the students that turn up on the day you go to it.

if you want, you can widen your search and go on gumtree, moveflat.com, or somewhere.

might be easier for you to go in an existing flat share, instead of finding people to share with and then a flat.

a few of my westminster mates live with other London students from ucl, st martins etc. you also don't have to live with other students, you can get a better deal with living with professionals. generally the house will be less of a dump compared to living with students.

hope that helps
glauco
(Original post by yeahyeahyeahs)
you also don't have to live with other students, you can get a better deal with living with professionals. generally the house will be less of a dump compared to living with students.
I can see that. It sounds obvious but I never thought about it that way. I would preferably move into a place where they're looking for someone rather than finding people to share, anyway. It is a good idea to live with professionals, I might be a bit fussier than ordinary teenager students living away for the first time as I am a mature student and am used to tidiness, though was thinking of mixing up and try and have a good time. I am really excited about going to uni, living in London and doing architecture. I want to get the most of it all. Will definitely say hello to you if I recognise you, when I start in September. I haven't been offered a place at Wmin yet, only Notts, but am very hopeful.
Many thanks for your tips!
glauco
WOO HOO
got an offer from Westminster
London there I go!!!!!!:woo:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (846)
80.65%
Leave (203)
19.35%

Watched Threads